I'm in TROUBLE!

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited February 4, 2006 in People
OK, OK... I know, it's been a loooonnnnng time since I posted any pics on DG. I have stuggled getting shots with my 20D which I thought were "good". I mean really struggled. It's like driving a Kia and switching to a Hummer. I still don't know everything my camera can do. I feel like an idiot.

Today I thought I would take some shots of my kids. It started with my son, Caleb, so I thought I would take some of my girls.

I THINK I'M IN TROUBLE. I'm thinking now of selling everything and buying a shotgun. I am a youth pastor and I have always said, "If someone hurts my family, I don't mind starting a ministry in jail."

As I looked at these shots, I realize my little girls are not so little girls any longer. I am glad to see them grow, but... I don't know.

Here's the set.
54593955-M.jpg
Caleb didn't last long... Only 10 pics. The others look very much like this one.

54594134-M.jpg
Hannah, 10. Soon to be 11
54594262-M.jpg

54594389-M.jpg
Miriam, 6. Soon to be 7
54594551-M.jpg

54594798-M.jpg
Hannah and Miriam, soon to be in trouble.

It's good to be back.

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Sorry mate...smugmug maint so i can see the shots.

The 20D is a so so simple to use, its a gift. Just swing it to AV mode & then use that right index finger to choose that aperture...thats it.....i just set the aperture to allow the shot to be take against the length of the lens V's amount of light & thus not have movement.

oh..i forgot. If you cant get the shutter fast enough then lift the ISO up until you can. Thats where the other brands get to take a back seat.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Johno, those shots are gorgeous!!!!

Just where is the struggle??? I don't see any struggling?

Good models, yeah, but good photography!

(Someone will "hurt" your kids in some way. Actually, "someone" probably already has made a kid sad. It happens. Try to stay out of jail, those are gorgeous photos! I am not sure re camera access as a prisoner.)

ginger

(I am getting new lenses, same as before but faster, they come today or tomorrow. I don't get photos like that.....................gorgeous!)

Lighting? Background?
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    What a gorgeous set of pictures. Your kids have beautiful eyes. I love all of the photos - although I would like the first one of Miriam to be just a tad brighter - but the last one of the two girls really, really moves me.

I understand the anxiety of watching your children grow up and knowing that the world won't always be good to them, but I don't see the 20D problem here. What lens are you using? Excellent work.

Virginia

Email
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Thanks Virginia... I shot these with my canon 50mm 1.8. I used the flash on the camera and distilled it with an old translucent film canister... I cut out a slot so it could be placed over the flash.

I will work on the one with Miriam... I agree a bit dark.

Peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited January 31, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Just where is the struggle??? I don't see any struggling?
    ginger

(I am getting new lenses, same as before but faster, they come today or tomorrow. I don't get photos like that.....................gorgeous!)

Lighting? Background?

Thanks G. You know I am one of your biggist fans.

About the struggles, I haven't posted any here... To embarrassed.

It's the user not the camera.

Also, I only meant to joke about the "going to jail" thing. I used to be a boy... Bill Cosby says, "boys are nasty" and I agree with him.

Right now there is only one on the radar... He's being watched... All the time.

Peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    You did well and they are blossoming beauties all right :uhoh I'd definitely be looking into shotguns. Forget new lenses. You need to save for their college educations and for that shotgun.....Laughing.gif

Old Bill C was right on. Boys are nasty rolleyes1.gif They only have one thing on their mind and it ain't photography lol3.gif As the father of a 16yo, going on 21, girl :cry I can tell you that my shotgun is right there in the hall closet. When her dates come over to pick her up, we have "the talk" as I am oiling her up (the shotgun, not my daughter eek7.gif ).....Laughing.gif

Nice shots John thumb.gifthumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 31, 2006
    You did well and they are blossoming beauties all right :uhoh I'd definitely be looking into shotguns. Forget new lenses. You need to save for their college educations and for that shotgun.....Laughing.gif

Old Bill C was right on. Boys are nasty rolleyes1.gif They only have one thing on their mind and it ain't photography lol3.gif As the father of a 16yo, going on 21, girl :cry I can tell you that my shotgun is right there in the hall closet. When her dates come over to pick her up, we have "the talk" as I am oiling her up (the shotgun, not my daughter eek7.gif ).....Laughing.gif

Steve
    rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for the laugh Steve. My best wishes to you as a father of a 16yo.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Lovely shots!! And very beautiful kids. I really like how the eyes sparkle in some of them.
    I agree, you need the shotgun. I am looking into one for myself, for when my girls get old enough to date (of course, that won't happen till they're 30 :D)

Nice pictures,
    Mel
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Hey Johno, beautiful kids. So here's what Glennie and I did ... We all know that kids rebel. I did. Glennie did. Probably you did too. So the trick is to see to it that they rebel against the right thingmwink.gif I got mixed up with a bunch of bikers and hippies and Glennie just got mixed up. So we figured if we just keep on being hippies (God fearing hippies) that our kids will rebel and turn out straight. It worked!!! Our son is a clean cut bank employee married to a beautiful girl and both faithful to the Lord. Our daughter is just finishing her last year of college and cute as a button. (I should dig up some photo's of them). So there you go man. That's how you do it.

If that doesn't work you can count on "If you train up a child in the way he (she) should go, when he (she) is grown he (she) will not depart from it".
    See with your Heart
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Beautiful children.Nice pp.
    Oh wait a few more years:tough
    edited January 31, 2006
    Thanks Bob for the advice. I'll see if my wife wants to get matching tie-dye shirts to wear around our kids. rolleyes1.gif I will say, my kids ARE good kids.

We have a deal... If a stranger in public comments, to me, on how "well" my children behave, it's a trip to the dollar store or baskin robins for a kids cone. I'm glad to say trips happen often. It's why I had to add the dollar store as an option... Do you know how much a kids cone is at Baskin Robins... Do you know how much an adult 2 scoop cone is? Chaching$$$

I figure, there is not a father here that wouldn't drive a 100 miles to help another father.

Thanks again.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Great Photos, Great kids, Great Parents.

I do however have two words for you to remember as your daughters start to approach that age (and it gets younger all the time rolleyes1.gif ).

SWORD COLLECTION.

Shotgun, blech. Everyone's got one, everyone can clean em, doesn't take much to shoot them, not very scary.

But a sword collection, and ability to demonstrate the use of them.... Well that can go a long ways in making a young man understand what can happen if he slips up. After all what would happen if you slipped up while spinning a sharp sword oh so close to.......
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Beautiful shots, and kids, johno!

Skip the shotgun and get the Dgrin Machine Gun lens instead!
    :D
    Chris
    edited February 1, 2006
    I do however have two words for you to remember as your daughters start to approach that age (and it gets younger all the time rolleyes1.gif ).

SWORD COLLECTION.

Shotgun, blech. Everyone's got one, everyone can clean em, doesn't take much to shoot them, not very scary.

But a sword collection, and ability to demonstrate the use of them.... Well that can go a long ways in making a young man understand what can happen if he slips up. After all what would happen if you slipped up while spinning a sharp sword oh so close to.......

True... I have always liked swords. I wouldn't mind owning a sword like the one used in Braveheart.

How about a collection of handmade "shives" which can be found in many prison systems:D

I guess I will have to ask Andy for some advice. I think he has the same problem as I do.

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited February 1, 2006
    johno wrote:

How about a collection of handmade "shives" which can be found in many prison systems:D

peace.
    johno~
    Oh thats perfect, and get a prison tat. Even a temp one that looks real. Maybe some extensions in the back to give the appearance of a mullet, and cutoff t-shirt and shorts.

Andy tell's em he's a member of the village people, and he can see why she says they are so cute, then gives em a wink.

andy1.jpg
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited February 1, 2006
    Andy tell's em he's a member of the village people, and he can see why she says they are so cute, then gives em a wink.

rolleyes1.gif
    I think we have a WINNER!

Who would have thought two little girls could get so many fathers together on one page?

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    1st of all what beautiful children and I have to tell you their names are absolutely wonderful!! I love biblical names.... i wanted to name my daughters sarah and hannah and my sons matthew and issac but my wife won out on three of them, I did get a Matthew though....
    the poses and expressions are priceless, but you already know that......

God bless you and you family..

troy
    edited February 1, 2006
    johno wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    I think we have a WINNER!

Who would have thought two little girls could get so many fathers together on one page?

peace.
    johno~

Laughing.gif I'm no father. Oh no. Older brother, who liked tormenting his little sisters bf's.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited February 2, 2006
    Laughing.gif I'm no father. Oh no. Older brother, who liked tormenting his little sisters bf's.
    That works just as well.

I have had so much fun with this post I really forgot to ask the technical questions on how to improve... I am headed to Portland, OR with my family this weekend. I hope for little rain so I can get some in the outdoors.

We'll see what the next step is.

Peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    johno wrote:
    That works just as well.

I have had so much fun with this post I really forgot to ask the technical questions on how to improve... I am headed to Portland, OR with my family this weekend. I hope for little rain so I can get some in the outdoors.

We'll see what the next step is.

Peace.
    johno~

Excellent shots! clap.gif
    David L. Stevens
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Wonderful shots!
    The overall feel on Caleb is very nice, one of my favorite styles.
    The tight face shot of Hannah is just beautiful, I love the expression and crop on this.
    Once again a nice face crop and expression on Miriam.
    The shot of the two girls together is perfect!
  • DigitalDevoDigitalDevo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Beautiful shots!!
    "It is the Photographer that makes the equipment, not the equipment that makes the photographer." -JKS