CS2 on Ebay

GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited February 2, 2006 in Finishing School
Good morning yall, has anyone bought or know anything about this? Is it legal? I have ver5 and have been using the 30 day trial of CS2. My budget likes this much better than one sealed in a box.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7215907771&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Giselle

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Giselle wrote:
    Good morning yall, has anyone bought or know anything about this? Is it legal? I have ver5 and have been using the 30 day trial of CS2. My budget likes this much better than one sealed in a box.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7215907771&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I can't see any way this can be legitimate. A buy-it-now for $50.

But he did have someone already buy one at the same price and gave good feedback??

Who knows. If it can actually be registered and authenticated . . .

send him an email and ask the hard questions.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 31, 2006
    headscratch.gif

PLEASE NOTE:
    This product comes with a never used serial, and activation instructions but no box or manual, considering the price. All help files & manuals are within the disc. No refund once the software is sent out

After what I went through getting a copy using the Wacom discount, there has to be a catch.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    There are some "cracks" out there. And ebay would be the place to overpay for one.
    If not now, when?
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    This is most likley a bootleg cd with a serial key from a key generator. I would ask the seller if the cd is the true Adobe cd that is silkscreened, not a cd-r copy. Most sellers just burn a copy then sell it as is.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    The only way it could be legit if him or his company is a partner with adobe or macromedia and is getting the employee deals. We used to be able to get MS OS's and Office really cheap for personal use and could get 1-2 copies a year.

I remember when I got Win NT BackOffice for home. It was a cardboard box just big enough to hold 6 CD's and someone from Microsoft handed it to me that way.

Anyway, so I can see how he can have a legal copy, I am just not sure if he can legally sell it if he received through a partner deal. Either way it doesnt seem right.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Ask the right questions, only buy if you get the right answers
    docwalker wrote:
    headscratch.gif

PLEASE NOTE:
    This product comes with a never used serial, and activation instructions but no box or manual, considering the price. All help files & manuals are within the disc. No refund once the software is sent out

After what I went through getting a copy using the Wacom discount, there has to be a catch.
    The key questions to ask are:
    • Can you register your copy with Adobe?
    • Will you be eligible for isntallation support with Adobe?
    • Will you be eligible for upgrades with Adobe after installing?
    • Can you return it for a full refund if the above three don't work?
    If the seller says no to any of these questions or gives answers that don't sound straightforward, then they are not legit. Since they've already said "no" to the last question, they clearly have something they are worried about you discovering that hasn't been disclosed.

FWIW, I bought an old version of PS6 on ebay for $80 and successfully upgraded it to CS2. After asking a whole bunch of questions of many different sellers, I found one that answered yes to the above questions, had a good seller's rating and seemed responsive and everything worked out fine. I was able to upgrade it to CS2 and am now a fully registered user.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 31, 2006
    Jfriend, My copy is completely legal. I bought a Wacom Intous3 6x8 tablet that came with a copy of PS E 3 and 4. They also send you a link to Adobe that allows you to buy CS2 for $299. Andy originally pointed this out.

The tablet arrived with a CD including PS E 3 and 4 on it. The serial numbers are on stickers stuck to the CD holder. My problem came when I tried to enter the serial number into the website to get the CS2 sent. The PS E 4.0 serial number would not work. It kept saying it was invalid. So I entered the 3.0 and it did work.

I had an eval copy of 4.0 on my machine. I tried to use the 4.0 registration number to activate it. No go. It would not take the number even though it was valid. I had to uninstall and reinstall using the disk. I then had to enter the 4.0 registration number. So I get Adobe PS E 4.0 installed and start playing with it until CS2 arrives.

When CS2 arrived, it required a serial number for PS E. I entered the 3.0 as it was the one I used to place the order. No go. It would not take it. I entered the 4.0 and it took that one. I had 4.0 installed on the machine. It should have taken used the registration number from it as it was validated and fully registered.

Everything is working fine now. It was just a bear getting it going. So knowing how complicated the registration process can be, it makes me wonder how hard it will be if you were to buy an ebay copy :-)
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • HvnyMemHvnyMem Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    PS bootlegs are common on ebay
    Watch out!!!

I've seen numerous PS bootlegs on ebay.

There are serial number generators that will fool the software so you can activate it but it will NOT be legit with Adobe.

I bought a PS6 on ebay a few years ago. Asked all the right questions. I made it clear that I would only accept an *original* Adobe disc. I even called Adobe to have them check the serial number. The sales and support rep said that their system accepted the number and it was now registered in my name.

I sent the money and recieved a CD with a stick-on label, NOT screen printed directly on the disk.eek7.gif

Another call to Adobe to report the bootleg and when he checked the number again it didn't match any officially issued numbers.headscratch.gif

Seller refused all further communication so I took the disk, a letter from Adobe denying the validity of the serial number, and copies of all my emails requesting info from the seller to Paypal's headquarters (3 miles from my house!) and demanded a refund.:help They initially refused but when they were told I would report them as accessories to copyright infringement they immediately made a refund transfer from the seller's account to mine and froze his account.:):

If anybody needs a personal face-to-face communication with Paypal let me know.wave.gif

Ernie
    If the world is our playground, why do we have to work?:huh
  • GiselleGiselle Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Thanks for the heads up, I guess I have to wait until I can afford the real thing.
    Giselle