Postprocessing help and challenges

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited January 31, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's come to my attention that at least some people feel they shouldn't get help with post processing their shots for the challenges.

I can't speak for the management, but I can speak for myself on this topic. IMHO, the real point of these challenges is to learn and grow. The best possible outcome from a challenge is if you end up with an image that was beyond your ability before. (Well, I've never won a challenge, so maybe that is the real best possible outcome. If I ever do win, it will be a great moment because it's certainly been outside my ability for the last two years!)

Right now, I have an active thread in the PS forum seeking help for a potential challenge shot. I'm also considering taking it for a trip to the Whipping Post. And look at these historical items:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2224
http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=23549&postcount=40
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2042
If not now, when?

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Well said. I agree 100%.

Virginia

Email
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Always and from the beginning the point has been exactly this, rutt thumb.gif

Get / give as MUCH help as you can get. First priority is to learn. Winning is secondary.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Yes, I have been absolutely amazed when someone proudly says that there was little to no post processing on a regular challenge shot.

I have even commented that this is certainly allowed. And I can agree with Rutt, it would be encouraged as a learning tool, if for no other reason.

There is no pride, IMO, in a regular challenge as to lack of post processing. Nor of processing, actually. It is in the final presentation, IMO. However, most of us use help getting there, post processing tools are an asset and figured into digital photography. IMO.

ginger (my amazement has been huge, but to each...........etc.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    I just assumed folks would make comments or constructive critique about CH entries?ne_nau.gif Or did I miss something?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    I just assumed folks would make comments or constructive critique about CH entries?ne_nau.gif Or did I miss something?

I've gotten a few PMs to which expressed trepidation about getting too much (or any) post processing help with challenge entries, so I thought I'd clear it up.
    If not now, when?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Well, both my preprocessing help and my trip through to the Whipping Post were very very helpful. I learned how to do what I wanted to do with my image and learned that the image was a child that only a mother could love. This is a challenge I'd really like to enter and do my best on, so both things were great.

The competition of the challenges is a spur for learning and growth. The PP, Technique, and WP forums are great places to go for help on the way.
    If not now, when?