Homeless on Beacon Hill

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 2, 2006 in People
I ran into this pair behind the Statehouse on Beacon Hill. They asked for a dollar and I gave them $2 each. They were in a huge hurry to go get something to eat at St. John's, where $1 buys a meal. But they asked me to take their pictures first.

54514881-L.jpg

He says he's been homeless since 1988.

54515068-L.jpg

She can't remember.

54514963-L.jpg

I hope $4 isn't enough for a bottle of cheap wine or whatever it is. But, then again, it's really not my business.

Whoever these people were so many years ago, there didn't seem to be a lot of it left.
If not now, when?

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I ran into this pair behind the Statehouse on Beacon Hill. They asked for a dollar and I gave them $2 each. They were in a huge hurry to go get something to eat at St. John's, where $1 buys a meal. But they asked me to take their pictures first.
    He says he's been homeless since 1988.
    She can't remember.
    I hope $4 isn't enough for a bottle of cheap wine or whatever it is. But, then again, it's really not my business.
    Whoever these people were so many years ago, there didn't seem to be a lot of it left.
    Thats so sad Rutt.. maybe the'yll get one meal and share and use the rest on booze.. makes you wonder how she got there.. what happened to both of them.. he looks pretty well fed.. she's not so hot..why did they want their picture taken.. for what? can you tell us more? I like the shot of the two of them..
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Neither one was making a lot of sense. He was very inconsistent. He said he wanted his picture taken. Then he was upset because his hat says "Mexico" and he isn't Mexican. She was in a true daze. I'm no psychiatrist, so I can't make an educated guess. But I think it's the kind of thing a psychiatrist would be able to tell you after a short time with them.

Yeah, it is very sad. I've encountered other homeless people who had a lot more of their personalities left than these two.
    If not now, when?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 2, 2006
    Rutt,

I think the important thing is that these are people who don't have a lot to smile about, and you gave them a couple of good reasons to smile; you gave them money so they could get a decent meal, and you paid attention to them by taking their photo.

Bravo!

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums