horseback indoors

Nh BillNh Bill Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 31, 2006 in Sports
I have a Sony DSC-F828 which I like very much but it seems I am getting in places where I'm very challenged to get good shots. I'm working on my son's hockey team's pics & that has at least improved (thanks to some great suggestions) ... but my daughter rides horses indoors & I can't yet get good pics of her:scratch

I think I have attached my best pic so far :rolleyes & it stinks. But, you should have seen my hockey pics before I got help! They were worse ~ so there is hope (I hope).

This camera also has a "delayed shutter" but I've gotten better @ that too.

Hellllp! :dunno Any suggestions?

{BTW my high school hockey pics are at

http://grizzfan.smugmug.com/

in case you are a hockey shooter}

Nh Bill

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    Bill,
    You'll have to post a link to a larger size image. The horse jumping pic does look pretty bad. But, at the small size you posted I can't tell wether it was a focus, shake, distance, or other issue.

Shooting indoor hockey and indoor horse jumping is a real challenge for the 828. Since you seem to be pleased with your hockey shots, hopefully we can at least help you get better results from your horse shots :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    It looks like there is a lot of light coming into the arena, which will help you.

Jacking up the ISO to 200-400 will help you get better shutter speed. I'd want to be shooting at atleast 1/250 or faster for indoors. +EV will get some better detailing. It looks like you could hit that with the amount of light coming in.

Also, a custom white balance would help minimize the reflecting light from the sawdust & arena walls.