Get Medieval

galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited February 1, 2006 in Sports
I captured these Saturday at a medieval fair. Jousting is the main sport with some birds, horses, and people thrown in.

Comments welcome.

Enjoy!

Shaun

A knight squeezes on his helmet in preparation to joust.

w6_147c_060128.jpg

An armor-plated knight and horse stand at the ready.

w6_270_060128.jpg

One knight chases another on the battlefield.

w6_164c_060128.jpg

Two knights aim their lances

w6_255c_060128.jpg

A dismounted duel between two knights

w6_387c_060128.jpg

Two hawks light on the falconer

w6_521c_060128.jpg

A falcon stretches its talons to land

w6_469c_060128.jpg

A barred owl

w6_460_060128.jpg

The fastest bird on Earth, the peregrine falcon.

w6_489c_060128.jpg

Two actors play out a medieval drama

w6_537_060128.jpg

Meet my two friends!

w6_551c_060128.jpg

Maid Marion with an attitude

w6_601_060128.jpg

Two warriors practice medieval battle

w6_630c_060128.jpg

A Friesian horse native to Holland

w6_653c_060128.jpg

A fair-goer plays with juggling sticks

w6_644_060128.jpg

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 31, 2006
    Really nice Shaun thumb.gifthumb.gif

You've got a real mix of shots here. I really liked the 3rd one. Nice composition clap.gif The raptor shots are very nice too. I just love birds...Laughing.gif

You did capture some kewl action, but I was looking for the pic of the knight who was in the process of being un-horsed....Laughing.gif J/K

All good and thanks for sharing,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    All are great shots and capture what must be a little bit of everything that went on! I've always wanted to go to one of these Medieval fests... now I feel like I've been to one! thumb.gif
  • galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    You did capture some kewl action, but I was looking for the pic of the knight who was in the process of being un-horsed....Laughing.gif J/K
    Yes, that would have been the ultimate moment! Thinking back, I remember only one fall. It was a close combat "stunt fall" kind of rolling off the back of the horse. I imagine jousting falls are too dangerous.

But I did get that other fall! And the other knight in mid-air jumping down from the horse (WWF style lol3.gif ) onto the other knight. When I have some time to process and upload, I'll try to post it.
    edited February 1, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    All are great shots and capture what must be a little bit of everything that went on! I've always wanted to go to one of these Medieval fests... now I feel like I've been to one! thumb.gif

That's cool. Glad you liked them!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 1, 2006
    All the shots were great, but the bird shots, wow!, those were awesome! thumb.gif

Very cool to see birds, especially raptors, in a "different" setting than most of the talented bird hunters around here see them in. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    All the shots were great, but the bird shots, wow!, those were awesome! thumb.gif

Very cool to see birds, especially raptors, in a "different" setting than most of the talented bird hunters around here see them in. nod.gif

I used to be okay with bird hunting until I saw the documentary _Winged Migration_ a few years back. Rarely does a movie had that kind of impact on me.

There were some musicians in particular I wanted shots of; but I ran out of card space and by the time I'd finished deleting some images, they were finished playing. You can never have enough memory cards! I'm hoping prices drop on storage in the future.
    edited February 1, 2006
    Saxon wrote:
    I used to be okay with bird hunting until I saw the documentary _Winged Migration_ a few years back. Rarely does a movie had that kind of impact on me.
    Are we talking about the same kind of bird hunting? eek7.gif

I was referring to group of bird photographers we have here - Harry and his group with all their gorgeous Egret and raptor captures. I love their shots, but your shots caught my eye because they show raptors interacting with humans. Pretty unique and a nice difference.
    Erik

edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Are we talking about the same kind of bird hunting? eek7.gif

I was referring to group of bird photographers we have here - Harry and his group with all their gorgeous Egret and raptor captures. I love their shots, but your shots caught my eye because they show raptors interacting with humans. Pretty unique and a nice difference.
    Ah, different "hunting."

I'll have to check out Harry's shots.

The birds were well trained and some were allowed to fly around quite a bit. I haven't done many bird shots, so it was a welcomed change. Much easier captures than ones in the wild.

There's a National Geographic shot out there with Mongolian falconer handling this giant eagle on top of a mountain. Gorgeous wide-angle shot.

Maybe I can find it.
    edited February 1, 2006
    Here it is.

Caption

"A golden eagle grasps Kosan’s fist as the Kazakh falconer strains to support the bird’s weight in the winter winds. Following a tradition more than a thousand years old, Kosan will release his bird to hunt in the Mongolian valley below, then race down the mountain on horseback hoping to reach her before she tears the valuable fur of her quarry—perhaps a lynx—or she is herself injured in the struggle."
    edited February 1, 2006
    Saxon wrote:
    Here it is.

Caption

"A golden eagle grasps Kosan’s fist as the Kazakh falconer strains to support the bird’s weight in the winter winds. Following a tradition more than a thousand years old, Kosan will release his bird to hunt in the Mongolian valley below, then race down the mountain on horseback hoping to reach her before she tears the valuable fur of her quarry—perhaps a lynx—or she is herself injured in the struggle."
    Wow! very cool link and story. I love NG iloveyou.gif
    Erik

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Wow! very cool link and story. I love NG iloveyou.gif

I agree clap.gif Kewl story and what a bird iloveyou.gif It goes after lynx and isn't supposed to tear the fur :uhoh

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero