wedding photography

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited September 21, 2004 in Weddings
I went to a wedding yesterday and tried pretending I was the wedding photographer... oh boy.. what a mess... wrong ISO... blurred, wimpy batteries in the flash, the works.. this was the only shot out of about 50 that even came close to being "a shot" this was just a couple at our table... the "real" photographer was using a 10D I think and a 35mm as well... hope his shots were better than mine..

8728778-L.jpg

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif

At least you got one good one! That's a lovely shot.

It can be tough when the pressure's on! I've had some somewhat similar experiences. Nothing like doing it, to make you realize what the challenges are. I do get angry with myself when I have the wrong camera settings, though. After all this time, how hard it to to remember to check a handful of settings? I've thought about carrying around a checklist to look at before every shot:

ISO - check
    Shutter speed - check
    Aperature - check (depth of field - check)
    Exposure compensation - check
    Auto focus/manual focus - check
    Exposures remaining - check

And then check a test shot for overexposure - better to underexpose and bring it back in PS than to blow out highlights.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • tmshotstmshots Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2004
    Weddings are hard to shoot, dont let anyone fool you. I shoot weddings (to help pay for my ever growing hobby) and I spend alot of time with planning and prep. I too shoot with the 10D and a 35 film for those "what if they want something else?" shots. Most times I dont get any pre planning of the area and setting. My excitement rises though when I am given reign of the whole thing. Placing and the whole works. My ideal working is the use of Lighting, but that always isnt the case at which point I am trusting in nature to lend a hand. And believe me, the photog guy is probably going through his shots going "Darn! wrong ISO on this one" The important thing is we learn from our mistakes and plan out for next time to hopefully get it right. Nice shot by the way.
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    Beautiful pic and very photogenic young lady I must say mwink.gif
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    Beautiful pic and very photogenic young lady I must say mwink.gif
    Thanks guys... it's the ONLY shot that was worth saving.. the other 50 or so (I gave up) were terrible.. worse than terrible.. You wedding photographers have my atmost admiration... specially as the evening rolls on and everyone gets tipsy and looks terrible.. AND THE LIGHTING.. there was none.. dark, dingy and raining and over cast... oh well... better next time ...mayberolleyes1.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks guys... it's the ONLY shot that was worth saving.. the other 50 or so (I gave up) were terrible.. worse than terrible.. You wedding photographers have my atmost admiration... specially as the evening rolls on and everyone gets tipsy and looks terrible.. AND THE LIGHTING.. there was none.. dark, dingy and raining and over cast... oh well... better next time ...mayberolleyes1.gif
    Maybe that is why the brides I have seen getting their photos taken after the ceremony, at the reception, none of them look happy. Miserable people.

Photographed, snapshots, just snapshots, my specialty, anyway photographed a couple who were in Charleston on their honeymoon, did it yesterday. Happy, happy people. Things must get better "on the honeymoon", as they say.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.