Options

SOLD: 50-500mm F4-F5.6 Bigma for Canon Mt

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited February 2, 2006 in Flea Market
I am getting misty typing this :cry But it is time for me to find another loving family for my Bigma. God, we've had some fun over the last 13 months. I love this lens and will probably pick up another copy once finances improve. For the time being, I just can't hold on to two $1000 super teles.

This lens is in excellent condition (9+) with no optical flaws and only minor wear marks on the zoomring. The zoom is still fairly tight (no zoom creep) and there are no scratches or scuffs on the body. It comes with everything a new lens comes with, including the original boxes.
Lenscaps, tripod ring, canvas carrying case and carrying strap.

Those of you who have seen my surf shots and bird shots know what this lens is capable of. Imagine what someone who knows what they're doing can coax from it.....LOL

Anyhow, before I put it up at FM, or god-forbid eBay, I thought I'd give the fine folks here 1st shot.

This lens sells for $900 or more new. I am asking $725 and $25 to ship it anywhere in the US. Add 3% to the price if using Paypal. I will be asking $750 on FM and eBay.

Again, this lens is in excellent condition :D

All pics here and all the pics from page 3 back found here were taken with this Bigma.

Sad Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    I have used this very lens. It is indeed, in pristine condition. And, there's probably not a more straight-up guy on the planet to buy from. deal.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 1, 2006
    this lens is a gem. a rare balance between high performance and budget. I'm really suprised your selling it. Who will I send people to for Bigma opinions?!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    my mind says yes but my wallet says no rolleyes1.gif

wish i could take this off your hands...
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    this lens is a gem. a rare balance between high performance and budget. I'm really suprised your selling it. Who will I send people to for Bigma opinions?!

You can send them to me mwink.gif

I've got a Bigma and I really like it. I've not seen Steve's copy, but mine is quite sharp and I find the focal length to be quite a fun one to use.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Doc,
    Send them here 40 user reviews and an 8.7 overall rating. 37 respondents gave it 8-10. 3 people rated it significantly lower. One gave it a 3 (used it with a Nikon, no wonder....lol). Another gave it a 2 (from March '03-soft images above 300mms). A 3rd person gave it a 4 (bad customer service from Sigma trying to get the lens repaired after the AF went out).

Or, you just send 'em to Mike rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, I am surprised I am selling it also. If I didn't have to, there is no way I'd be parting with it :-( As I mention in my OP, I'll probably pull an Andy and buy another later this year....Laughing.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Doesn't this lens have some sort of optional handle or something? What's included?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Doesn't this lens have some sort of optional handle or something? What's included?

Rutt,

The tripod collar foot is over-sized and has finger indentations like this You can use it, as I always did, to carry it while attached to the camera. It's also nice to be able to wrap your fingers around when handholding. I usually shot it with my hand straight and fingers in the grip's grooves. With other long lenses I cup my left hand under the lens. I found that the first method gave me a steadier hand, if you will.

What's included? Well, all that came with the lens. Carrying case, front and rear caps, lenshood (which I didn't originally mention) and strap.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Steve
    How much does it weigh - say relative to the 70 - 200 mm f2.8?

ann
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Steve
    How much does it weigh - say relative to the 70 - 200 mm f2.8?

ann

IIRC from what I have seen in the specs on these they are about 5lbs!!! :eek1
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    I'm thinking that although this thing is a monster, it might be hard to beat for sports like tennis, soccer, ski racing, and baseball where you just never quite seem to be in the right place with the right lens.

Still, it's a pretty big bat.

Steve: you shouldn't have posted that great bird shot with the TC + Zoom combo. Now everyone thinks you can get great shots with anything!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I'm thinking that although this thing is a monster, it might be hard to beat for sports like tennis, soccer, ski racing, and baseball where you just never quite seem to be in the right place with the right lens.

Still, it's a pretty big bat.

Steve: you shouldn't have posted that great bird shot with the TC + Zoom combo. Now everyone thinks you can get great shots with anything!

Laughing.gif Rutt,
    Maybe it's not the pots and pans, maybe it's the chef....lol Nah, it's the pots and pans

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero