Options

Have you ever lost ability to shoot?

melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited February 2, 2006 in Technique
I just can't seem to take pictures anymore.

I think I need to go back to the basics. I've totally gone back to just using auto because I'm so tired of good shots being ruined by being blurry or out of focus or whatever.

I have 3 lenses. Which I don't remember even what they are! Um, the kit lens, a 50mm 1.8 and I think a tamron something or other 75-300 ? Does that sound right? (I'm to lazy to get up and look)

Well It seems that I"m using the wrong lenses at the wrong times and nothings turning out the way I like them.

I went to Disney for 2 weeks in December and I was SO impressed with my friends pictures from her Kodak!!!!! compared to my rebel which means, I'm obviously doing something wrong!!

What did you do or should I do when this happens? I mean do I just say.. "Enough is Enough.." And admit that photography isn't for me. Go back to point and shoots? Pick me up a lovely Sony 717 (Which I still think is my all time favorite camera).

What can I use to get them umph back?
Missy Ü

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    For me to get the UUUUMPH back it took a trip to europe....I shot for many years freelancing for various studios (weddings, portraits and some commerical) and then one day it was no longer an art or ANY FUN and packed up amy cameras and lights and stored them.....but I also felt that something was lacking in my life....and my 2003 european trip brought it all back.....turns out I was trying to makle way too much of photography, trying to compicate it way too much.....the trick is KISS,,,,,,KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.............I had to remember going to concerts and just looking up at the lights hanging my fingers turningthe aperature and then the shutter speed dial ...never looking at what I was doing....using fuji 50 and a 70 - 210 vivatar series one lens on my fuji AX3....pix were great.....then I started studying on how concerts were SUPPOSED TO BE SHOT...and things went south....

So just get back to basics and do it as art and a love for art.....

I find that if I just let things flow naturally the pics are better than if I try to force them.......by frocing I get technically great pics with no life or feeling (it seems)...so I have went back to basics so to speak.

How this helps as it sound like you really love your art and yes I too have questioned why I have $1000's tied up and a friend has a $300 P/S and gets better pics than I at times when we are shoulder to shoulder....I truly believe it is because he/she doesnot dwell on how to properly take the photo......

It's like photography is a zen thing...don't over complicate and just let it flow.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    My $0.02
    I am currently in a similar situation. I recently returned from Chile, where I was surrounded by beautiful scenery all the time and have returned to the small boring town in Virginia where I live. It is tough to find things that I want to take pictures of.

The first thing I would do (and have been doing) is to go back through the pictures you have taken in the past. Find a half a dozen you really like and have them printed (I would go for at least a 5x7 or 8x10). They don't have to be your best pictures from a technical standpoint, but make sure *you* like them. Then study the pictures for a while. Hang them all up on a wall and make a point to pause and look at them each time you walk by. What about them do you like? Why did you choose these pictures? Do you favor one type of photography over another? (landscapes vs. sports, e.g.) Do you like to make artistic and abstract shots, or did you chose vacation pics of you and your family or friends? There is no right answer to this question, but you need to figure out what place photography has in your life. You are not locking yourself into just one type of photography, but you are trying to get back to what you like most. It is kind of like re-centering yourself.

Another thing to try is this exercise (which requires a lot of self-control). Take one, and only one, picture every single day. This is really hard in the digital age where we can take dozens of pictures for almost the same cost and effort of taking one. This can take as little as a couple of minutes or can take hours when you have the time. Think carefully about what you take a picture of, because you only get one. Do this for a couple of weeks and you may begin to see patterns to what sort of things you like to shoot. Also, the more you think about the pictures you take, the easier it becomes to take pictures you are happy with. A variation of this exercise is to take one picture of the same thing every day. Do it with different lenses, different light, etc.

And remember, sometimes we all need a break. If you are feeling burnt out, put the camera down and do something else. Go for a hike, learn how to cook a new dish, do anything. Eventually you may find yourself thinking, "Hey, that would make a great picture." That is when you know it is time to get the camera back out.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I am not a great counselor or a great photographer, so see this for what it is; just one man's opinion.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    I just feel like I'm either worrying so much about getting the right picture that i miss the picture or else I totally miss the whole moment messing with my camera. I don't know why I feel myself missing a point and shoot Laughing.gif

Open camera, snap shot... nice picture. period the end. But at times? I get a good SLR picture and I am reminded Laughing.gif
    Missy Ü
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    If you don't know what your lenses are, and you're shooting on auto settings because otherwise you mess up your shots... then you haven't taken the time to learn your equipment.

Read the manual for the camera. Read the booklets that come with your lenses.

Practice with them. When you get comfortable, the shooting will become more natural, you'll make fewer mistakes, and you'll be taking advantage of the excellent equipment in your possession.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    If you don't know what your lenses are, and you're shooting on auto settings because otherwise you mess up your shots... then you haven't taken the time to learn your equipment.

quote]

Well this is in part true. Laughing.gif I have tried and tried to learn. I've bought books to help me with exposure etc.. But I just don't seem to "get it".. It stinks!
    Missy Ü
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    hi missy
    you've received some good suggestions already, I'm making a mental note of some of those for myself! Don't know if I can add much to them because I use a p/s (sony 828, and now the R1). If you can afford it and can justify it, then I suggest you get one of those, even an old 717 - I'm told that was a very lovable camera. I know I LOVE my 828. I say this because I have 'fun' with my 828, just pointing and shooting with a couple manual settings. "once in awhile" I see a limitation of the camera and wish I had something more. So you could do that - get a good p/s, have fun, yet carry your big gun with you too for those times you 'need' more.

Hope you get back in the groove!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Missy, do you know anybody who shoots with an SLR? If so, hang out with them while they're shooting. It might suit you better to learn like that. But either way, this will take some work on your part, it won't fall into your lap. The rewards are pretty good, though.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

quote]

Well this is in part true. Laughing.gif I have tried and tried to learn. I've bought books to help me with exposure etc.. But I just don't seem to "get it".. It stinks!

Missy,
    I hear ya. You've got enough knowledge to be dangerous. To yourself and your pics....Laughing.gif This means you are probably on the cusp of "getting it". All those different thoughts swirling around in your head will soon coalesce and the light will come on thumb.gif

I have to agree with SId that you should at least understand not only which lenses you own, but what each is good for and not so good for. It's usually pretty easy to figure out what you did wrong when you review your pics. If the focus is blurry, you either had some camera shake or the subject moved. Camera shake and motion blur can be minimized by using higher speeds and/or stabilization (in the case of camera shake). You may be trying to use ISO100 when you need to bump up the ISO to give faster speeds. I usually shoot outdoor shots at ISO200 or 400. I also make sure, if hand holding, that my speed is at least the reciprocal of my focal length. For example, if I am using a 400mm lens, I make sure my speed is 1/400 or faster. These are just a few quick points, that I'm sure you already know.
    Spend the time and pay your dues. We'll help you out :D

Or, you can use Auto and get nice shots maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10. It won't make you a better photographer, but you may be happier with the results.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero