getting BACK into photography

pepperellpepperell Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Cameras
Sorry if this question comes up constantly. I checked the FAQ and searched around the sit a bit to no avail...

I took some pics and spent a lot of time in the darkroom during grade school, high school and somewhat in college. Once I left school (and no longer had ready access to supplies and equipment) my hobby fell to the wayside. Now with the advent of (cheaper) dSLR cameras it looks like photography may again be within my reach.

I'd like to get back into the hobby but have a fairly limited budget to start-- ~$1500 for body, lenses, flash, software and whatever other miscellanea I need. What would you recommend I get?

Oh, and I'd be shooting a wide range of subject matter... nature, sports, and just day to day life.

Comments

• StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    I don't have specific reccommendations, but I'll say these two things.

First of all, Welcome Back to photography and Welcome to dGrin!

Secondly, there are plenty of good deals available if you don't get caught up in gotta-have-the-newest-model fever. For example, when I made the jump to DSLR (from film), the Canon 20D had just come out and I grabbed a good deal on the 10D. Do the 20D users have some features that I don't? Sure. Am I having fun and learning while saving up some more money? You Betcha.
  • pepperellpepperell Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    I don't have specific reccommendations, but I'll say these two things.

First of all, Welcome Back to photography and Welcome to dGrin!

Secondly, there are plenty of good deals available if you don't get caught up in gotta-have-the-newest-model fever. For example, when I made the jump to DSLR (from film), the Canon 20D had just come out and I grabbed a good deal on the 10D. Do the 20D users have some features that I don't? Sure. Am I having fun and learning while saving up some more money? You Betcha.

Thanks for the intro Steve. I definitely don't feel like I need the latest and greatest, but I am somewhat bewildered by all the choices availlable and I'm having difficult deciding what I do and do not need. I would guess my money would be best spent on quality lenses, I'm just undecided where to start from.
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Hi Steven,

Yes there a lot of good choices in both new and used dSLRs. I would suggest you try to look down the road a bit and decide which manufacurer you are most comfortable with. Once you start buying equipment, it is very and expensive and time consuming (new layouts, software...) to switch because of their propietary nature.

Both Canon and Nikon make excellent equipment. And lots of good stuff is available from Sigma, etc. for them too. Others cameras may be good, but their selection of lenses is much more limited.

Welcome to Dgrin and back to photography.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    I think the Canon 10D is a great suggestion. Spending the money on lens is a better use of the money. Start there! I think Canon is a good way to go, as it seems there is more of a market to find used equipment for less money than most of the others.

I would check out here and FredMiranda.com for used equipment, including the 10D and lens.

Any idea what you would be looking to shoot?

Welcome!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Please remember this is MPO...
    pepperell wrote:
    I'm just undecided where to start from.
    Well, I think you started on the right foot. Setting a budget is something I suggest to most people. Well, no matter the body you get, I would suggest you spend good money on the lenses and the flash. This way when it comes time for the body upgrade, you don't have to also do the lenses or the flash.

BTW, you never mentioned what you used to shoot with... Care to share?

Also, you'll hear good things from all forums that own whatever brand. As for my suggestion... I think this would get your ball rolling... Hope this helps.
    You may also want to make some more inquires HERE.
    Let us know what you go with...

UPDATE: Just so that you know... The Nikon F-mount has not changed in over 30 years. So, you can still still take old MF quality glass, and generate some images that will blow you away. Like these... Gotta luv it!
    edited February 2, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    UPDATE: Just so that you know... The Nikon F-mount has not changed in over 30 years. So, you can still still take old MF quality glass, and generate some images that will blow you away. Like these... Gotta luv it!

I have always loved this about Nikon!
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    I have always loved this about Nikon!
    And, this is a big reason why I still shoot Nikon. I have a few MF (manual focus BTW, not medium format) lenses that you can pry from my cold dead fingers. mwink.gif

I'll have to say that the sweetest is the 105/2.5 ($55)... with the 50/1.4 ($25) right behind. And I found many of um at pawn shops. Usually they have been sitting on the shelf for a few years, and green-backs talk. Just gotta keep your eyes open. thumb.gif
    edited February 2, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Any idea what you would be looking to shoot?
    Some sport photos... ultimate frisbee and motorcycling
    Some nature (hiking), landscape, travel photos. Nothing that really emphasizes a key trait I'm looking for other than the AF will have to be quick and the whole package fairly durable.

Seymore wrote:
    BTW, you never mentioned what you used to shoot with... Care to share?
    I used a Nikon F2e but never got an extensive lens collection for it so I wouldn't mind starting from scratch. But, as was mentioned, after I've made this [edit: the dslr] investment I'd prefer not to start from scratch again in another 10 yrs.
    edited February 2, 2006
    I still think the Canon 10D is a good suggestion.

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    For that kind of budget, I would strongly suggest you buy everything used. With patience and a careful eye, you'll find what you want at fredmiranda or similar.

Most of what I have is used, and you really wouldn't be able to tell.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DigitalDevoDigitalDevo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    You can get a 10D brand new at B&H for like $799.00
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=277768&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Nice fast CF for $58:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820218075

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HS $724.95
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1543e2c8da17fed/shopdata/0020_Lenses/0040_Zoom/0050_Tele+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0160_Sigma%2B70-200mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B2%3D252E8%2BEX%2BDG%2BAPO%2BHSM%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BAF%2B%3D28SG70200F28DCA%3D29

The above lens is perfect for sports as well as some wildlife, can always add a TC later on for more reach, but it will cost you a bit more then you are planning.

This lens is decent for the $$$ but not optimal:
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1543e2c8da17fed/shopdata/0020_Lenses/0040_Zoom/0040_Standard+Zoom/product_details.shopscript?article=0690_Sigma%2B28-105mm%2Bf%3D26slash%3D3B2%3D252E8-4%2BDG%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BAF%2B%3D28SG28105F28DCA%3D29

Sigma 500 DG Super Flash is a great flash $199.95:
    http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1543e2c8da17fed/shopdata/0030_Flashes/0385_Shoe+Mount+Flashes/product_details.shopscript?article=0090_Sigma%2BEF-500%2BDG%2BSuper%2BE-TTL%2BShoe%2BMount%2BFlash%2Bfor%2BCanon%2BEOS%2Bwith%2BE-TTL%2BII%2B%3D28SGEF500SUCA%3D29

The 10D is a nice Prosumer body, Magnesium alloy so it is quite durable and holds up really great.

Or better yet, you can get an entire package from this guy for $1600 for the following:
    Canon 20D w/ 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Canon 580EX Flash
    Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Lens
    Canon 50mm MkII Lens
    All items come with the original boxes. Camera has the charger, battery, and extra battery. Just add a CF memory card, and you will be off and running.

He is a trustworthy seller as well, I have dealt with him personally. Great guy.
    http://www.dslr.org/forum/remark,15369770
    "It is the Photographer that makes the equipment, not the equipment that makes the photographer." -JKS
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    pepperell wrote:
    I took some pics and spent a lot of time in the darkroom during grade school, high school and somewhat in college. Once I left school (and no longer had ready access to supplies and equipment) my hobby fell to the wayside. Now with the advent of (cheaper) dSLR cameras it looks like photography may again be within my reach.
    Welcome pepperell...you described my story exactly...I found this site after I got back into photography with a new dSLR. I chose the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I liked the fact that it had high end features for low end money( Digic II processor, 8MP, etc). I also liked that it used my older Rebel Xs 35mm film lens, saving me the need to buy lenses right away.

I have been really happy with my choice. I like the size and the features. About the only thing I miss so far that would have been on the 20D is a PC flash sync cable port. Of course the joy of taking basically unlimited photos still beings a smile to my face. Enjoy!
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    With that kind of money you definitely are gonna be able to get a good, start, buy from ebay, or forums, but becareful. You can buy a decent body and a nice lens to start out with, then later on you could add more things to your setup. Welcome back to the photo world and Dgrin.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    I'm not so sure I'd reccomend the used digital bodies. It's so hard to truly get a good deal on used electronics because the price of new and better makes used a tough sell.

How many "actuations" does a used body have? You could be buying a camera with 50,000+ actuations and not know it...and have to replace the shutter.

With $1500 you can get a decent kit. I prefer Canons -- but Nikons are fine too. Frankly, all the DSLR's are decent cameras. I just think the Nikons and Canons are more likely to be future friendly.

With your budget, you are not going to get "great glass" -- and that's ok. You can improve your glass over time.

I'd reccomend the Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D70. Get a kit set with 18-50 and 70-200 consumer grade lenses. Add the 50mm f1.8. Add a 2gig cf card.

Do you already have a computer and photo printer? You'll need a dvd burner or at least a cd burner. You don't NEED the photo printer, it's cheaper to get your prints done at Costco or WalMart than it is to buy the paper alone.

An external flash is a nice thing to have, but it's something you could wait on if you needed to.

Lee
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    leebase wrote:
    I'm not so sure I'd reccomend the used digital bodies. It's so hard to truly get a good deal on used electronics because the price of new and better makes used a tough sell.
    No question you have to be a careful shopper. The number of actuations is an issue that is usually addressed when someone's selling a body.

If you don't think money can be saved, I suspect you aren't hanging around the fredmiranda/robgalbraith/photo.net buy sell forums very much. As I said, a patient person with a careful eye can put together some very nice gear for greatly reduced costs. I know, because I'm one of them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • kkartkkart Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Well u have enuff cash, I didn't see the reply's here as I am running out the door for Rocky Mountain National Park to shoot but Pentax now has the lowest price dslr on the market, they just dropped theprice to 599- with the lens kit on the ist DL. Lenses...tons as it accepts the K mount
    "Capturing Colorado, one click at a time"
    website | photoblog | facebook | twitter | deviantArt | RedBubble
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    kkart wrote:
    Well u have enuff cash, I didn't see the reply's here as I am running out the door for Rocky Mountain National Park to shoot but Pentax now has the lowest price dslr on the market, they just dropped theprice to 599- with the lens kit on the ist DL. Lenses...tons as it accepts the K mount
    Hey KKart!

On the DSLR.org (/dslreports.com) site: Clevere is someone you can trust. The 10D is a good suggestion, so is the D50, and so is the Pentax *ist DS2.

Pentax is the king of lense compatibility. Every bayonet mount lense except for a few thousand with the P/K AR designation are compatible with the DS and DL lines. Its amazing, really. The only thing you lose is any USM/HSM contacts (for faster Autofocusing with USM/HSM designated lenses)... I'm not sure how the 10D and D50 compares in this respect.
    edited February 6, 2006
    Are there any retailers out there that have "kits" available? Not just the camera body and a lens, but some kind of starter kit with:

body
    carry lense
    zoom lense
    flash
    memory
    bag
    extra batteries

With a discount for buying all at once?

Also, the Pentax caught my eye. How are they compatible with more lenses than most other cameras? Anyone care to explain further?
    edited February 8, 2006
    k-m 7d
    Well I think I decided on the 7d. Just trying to figure out if I should get just the body (~$970) or the lens kit (+$80).

Here's the lens info: Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF D 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens - Black (USA) Mfr Catalog # 2692810 • B&H Catalog #MI2810035DB

If not the above lens, what other would you recommend?

Also, how concerned should I be of K-M becoming obsolete entirely?