Non bug Macros

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited February 3, 2006 in Holy Macro
Just to show I don't always take pics of bugs, some recent macro shots.
The high mag ones were done using my macro lens with 65mm of extension rings and the front lens of an old 35-135mm tamron zoom lens (pentax fit) I had- reversed onto the front.
Brian V.

Table salt crystals (max diameter 0.5mm) taken at 3.8:1

94050313_c23df1eff2_o.jpg

Hibiscus stamen taken at 3.8:1 focus stacked from 5 pics

94027778_68c64d512d_o.jpg

Camelia

93103090_2b7f208421_o.jpg

Apple focus stacked from 4 pics

93025208_8986da58d2_o.jpg

Iris Petal

90994970_0396384066_o.jpg

Comments

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    That Camelia is gorgeous! Like them allthumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Wow weldone as always thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Just gorgeous! All of them. My favorite is the Iris Petal. It looks liquid and flowing.

Thanks for sharing.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    Thanks for looking and commenting Thusie, Awais and Dana- comments always appreciated.

Brian V.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    I'm waiting for you to to make a homemade adapter to attach your camera body directly to a microscope. Is 3.8:1 the most magnification you have used so far or have you gotten even closer than that? I wonder what the max magnification you could succesfully use would be?

Was the hibiscus focus stack taken hand held or with a tripod? Is it hard to keep the camera steady at that kind of magnification? I would think you would have the same kind of problems with camera shake like you would have with telephotos.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I'm waiting for you to to make a homemade adapter to attach your camera body directly to a microscope. Is 3.8:1 the most magnification you have used so far or have you gotten even closer than that? I wonder what the max magnification you could succesfully use would be?

Was the hibiscus focus stack taken hand held or with a tripod? Is it hard to keep the camera steady at that kind of magnification? I would think you would have the same kind of problems with camera shake like you would have with telephotos.

I have a microscope and have unsuccessfully tried to use bits from it on my camera.
    The highest I can get is just over 5:1 if I use my 1.4XTC but I haven't so far been impressed with the result. Might try again with the diffferent front add-on lens I'm using now. Just under 4:1 is quite comfortable to use though as long as I can rest the lens on something when I'm taking the pics. :)

I did use a tripod and a macrostage for the hibiscus shot even so I had to use flash- I tried in natural light but the vibrations from the shutter and room floorboards were enough to blur the pics slightly.
    Brian V.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    that camelia, wow!
    thumb.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341