Questions about MaxMax mods

portellimageryportellimagery Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited February 3, 2006 in Cameras
Andy,
I still have a question which filter your have installed in your MaxMax Canon Rebel? I think I am leaning toward them so I can get it back in time for a job I have to fly out for Feb 23 (Well, I don't need the camera for the job, I just have some time so I want to photograph the 5 Spanish missions there in IR)

Anyways, I see that they have different flavors of IR on their site. Which style do you have in yours? I want to be able to have false colors if I want them that you get with the R72 style, but I also like the higher contrast of the 87C. I am trying to do comparisons between different photographs that the different style filters yield....

Thanks.
Portell Imagery - Photography by Micheal Portell
www.portellimagery.com
Portell Imagery - The Blog blog.portellimagery.com
Speak Up Designs www.speakupdesigns.com
Get your Portell Imagery 2006 Photography Calendar here

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    I have the R72 style installed hard, in the camera. It makes the camera a PERMANENT IR camera. Then, you can shoot normally. You can do most false color stuff in post, anyhow. Certain contrast.

Short review of the 300D mod here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1077118

And, some IR post processing tips here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1111417

I hope this helps :D
  • portellimageryportellimagery Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    The R72 style filter is what I am leaning toward for two reasons.
    1) I can get false colors (an 87C is perfectly B&W since it blocks all of the visible spectrum)
    2) If I want, I can place a 87C style filter on the lens and yield both higher contrast that filter yields and get a perfect monochrome image (The downside is I can't compose through the veiwfinder, but I still have hand hold capability. I could also make adjustments and reshoot) This is only if I want to do it this way.

Micheal
    Portell Imagery - Photography by Micheal Portell
    www.portellimagery.com
    Portell Imagery - The Blog blog.portellimagery.com
    Speak Up Designs www.speakupdesigns.com
    Get your Portell Imagery 2006 Photography Calendar here