Options

Deleting posts/threads?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 3, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hey, maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me that in the old days (before the upgrade) I used to be able to delete threads that I had started? Am I wrong about this?

Today I hit the submit button prematurely and discovered I couldn't delete the thread, even though there hadn't been any replies or views yet.

FM allows you to delete entire threads just as long you started them. That seems like a reasonable rule. Would it be easy to implement?

Yes, I know I can always get a moderator to do it, but I'd rather not have to bother any poor overworked moderator if possible for such a trivial task.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Hey, maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me that in the old days (before the upgrade) I used to be able to delete threads that I had started? Am I wrong about this?

Today I hit the submit button prematurely and discovered I couldn't delete the thread, even though there hadn't been any replies or views yet.

FM allows you to delete entire threads just as long you started them. That seems like a reasonable rule. Would it be easy to implement?

Yes, I know I can always get a moderator to do it, but I'd rather not have to bother any poor overworked moderator if possible for such a trivial task.
    Easy to implement, yes. Are we doing it? :nah

Just let us know thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2006
    I love explanations that leave me really understanding the rationales for management decisions.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I love explanations that leave me really understanding the rationales for management decisions.

Allowing users to delete a thread will delete everything in it, so if someone deletes a thread they started a lot of useful information can be lost, especially when other users have taken time to write out in-depth responses, or the thread goes off topic, adding more to the thread.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Allowing users to delete a thread will delete everything in it, so if someone deletes a thread they started a lot of useful information can be lost, especially when other users have taken time to write out in-depth responses, or the thread goes off topic, adding more to the thread.

Thanks, Patrick. That does make sense. What about this? Is it easy to allow a thread to be deleted by the poster before it has any replies?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, Patrick. That does make sense. What about this? Is it easy to allow a thread to be deleted by the poster before it has any replies?

I don't think it works that way. The ability is either on or off (unless it has changed). The easiest thing to do is post in the need mod help thread. We delete duplicate thread starts a lot, or mistake threads.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I don't think it works that way. The ability is either on or off (unless it has changed). The easiest thing to do is post in the need mod help thread. We delete duplicate thread starts a lot, or mistake threads.

nod.gif

It's all or none. Case closed :D