Noise Ninja

gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited February 4, 2006 in Finishing School
I use Photoshop Elements 4, and wonder if purchasing Noise Ninja as an additional tool makes sense. Most of the noise I get is in landscapes with lots of sky showing. My camera is a Rebel XT, and I usually shoot in ISO 100 or 200. Any comments about Noise Ninja would be appreciated. No, I am not a professional; I'm just a hobbyist.
Gil

Comments

• DigitalDevoDigitalDevo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    Neat Image is also another alternative. I use it all the time and love it. I comapred all of them and liked it the best.
    "It is the Photographer that makes the equipment, not the equipment that makes the photographer." -JKS
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Neat Image is also another alternative....
    I also use Neat Image and am very pleased with its effectiveness and flexibility. I have just used it on a friend's film capture (as written to disk by the development lab) to moderate noise in the sky. Here is the before,

98270013-cropped-800w.jpg

and here is the after (which has also been modified separately in Photoshop primarily to enhance detail and contraast in the water and surf),

98270013-ForFun-800w.jpg

I think any of Noise Ninja, Neat Image, or Noiseware Professional would do a fine job.
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Before & After
    dandill wrote:
    I also use Neat Image and am very pleased with its effectiveness and flexibility. I have just used it on a friend's film capture (as written to disk by the development lab) to moderate noise in the sky. Here is the before,

98270013-cropped-800w.jpg

and here is the after (which has also been modified separately in Photoshop primarily to enhance detail and contraast in the water and surf),

98270013-ForFun-800w.jpg

I think any of Noise Ninja, Neat Image, or Noiseware Professional would do a fine job.

I can clearly see the difference in the sky. Did you use the noise removal program BEFORE or AFTER making your adjustments in Photoshop?
    Gil
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    gildco wrote:
    I can clearly see the difference in the sky. Did you use the noise removal program BEFORE or AFTER making your adjustments in Photoshop?
    Neat Image has a Photoshop plugin, and I used that as a first step, on a dup of the original on a layer. Then, I adjusted the opacity of the noise reduced layer to taste---keeping the sky not *too* smooth (I do this opacity adjustment on a layer as alternative to fiddling in Neat Image, taking its defaults instead).
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones