Options

Deal? 1GB Lexar CF at buy.com

EFOTOSEFOTOS Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Flea Market
Buy.com has the 1 GB Lexar High Speed Compact Flash card for $89.95 plus a $55 dollar rebate so it's $34.95 including shipping.

Here's the link: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10385299&loc=10

If I posted this wrong I apologize - it's my first post.

-Erin

www.bandfotos.com

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    EFOTOS wrote:
    Buy.com has the 1 GB Lexar High Speed Compact Flash card for $89.95 plus a $55 dollar rebate so it's $34.95 including shipping.

-Erin

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2107.html
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Does anyone still use 12x CF cards ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Wow - I've been buying stuff on and off from them since 2000. Never had a single problem. ne_nau.gif
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    EFOTOSEFOTOS Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Oops I didn't realize how slow it was, sorry for wasting your time- I cancelled my order for the card. Weird their reseller rating is so bad - I've bought stuff from Buy.com for years and never had a problem either.

www.bandfotos.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2006
    Since you ended up canceling your order, I changed the title of the thread to reflect the tone and more of a warning about buy.com
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Wow - I've been buying stuff on and off from them since 2000. Never had a single problem. ne_nau.gif

Me too, mostly. Then I ordered a Canon P&S, and it never showed up on freight tracking after the initial shipment notice. That's when I experienced their non-direct customer service. E-mail only, through a web site form, no phone numbers listed anywhere on their site. I eventually located a 1-800 number for them from a financial web site, called it, and an operating customer service staff was actually hiding there! (With Indian accents.) To their credit, they did refund my money after a couple rounds of calls, but I ended up getting the camera from good old reliable B&H.

Verdict: Buy.com can be a great bargain...unless something goes wrong.

Looking into the company some more, they appear to maintain as minimal of a company as possible to keep their costs and prices down. They seem to have trouble making money. They went public once, didn't do well, then its owner took it private again.

I still order some stuff from Buy.com, but only cheap, non-critical stuff like printer paper and CDs/DVDs. I won't make a major purchase there again. And even if you've gotten low prices there in the past, continue to comparison shop - a certain selection of their items are oddly priced more than the competition.
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Wow....that's a pretty poor rating. Then again..you need to take these ratings and reviews with a large grain of salt. I've used Buy.com for years. Ordered everything from cameras, printers, memory cards and software. NEVER EVER had a problem. Always felt like I got the best price (at the time compared to other etailers). The service was fast and smooth. The one time I accidentally ordered the wrong type of memory cards.....and even opened the packages... they sent a return postage sticker out in 3 days and credited my CC promptly. No hassles no problems. I'm a little surprised at this "rating". I USUALLY have problems with online etailers. (Murphy's law). The only folks I've never had issues with are Buy.com, BuyDig.com.... and B&H. headscratch.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Wow....that's a pretty poor rating.

It is useful to note that the rating has been declining at a steady rate over the last few years. It used to be much higher. That contributes to why I deal with them cautiously now.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I've bought lots of items from Buy.com and haven't had any trouble at all. Those ratings are a big surprise to me. YMMV
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Does anyone still use 12x CF cards ne_nau.gif
    I have an old 128 card in the p & s & the other day i needed some more room as my 2 x 1 G 80x were full. I put the 128 in & started shooting & couldnt work out what the hell was wrong with the camera...man they are sooo slow.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    EFOTOS wrote:

-Erin

I don't know what you are shooting with, but the chances are really good this card will not keep up with your camera in those instances where you load up the buffer.

On top of that, you can go to CostCo.com

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=&topnav=&search=cf%20card&N=0&Ntt=cf%20card&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search

and get the card for $59.99. And, I know how they work. NEVER had a problem with their e-business.

I didn't know their prices had dropped so low. I just might have to pick up one or two more (that is, if I can talk the boss iloveyou.gif into it !!).

I really hope this helps you in making the decision.