Options

Questions: Imac G5 / Aperture

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited February 6, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
1st of all dont give me the company line... "the search" feature is your friend.
My Dell is dying and Im lucky enough to even be on the internet right now, so I'll get right to the point. Im thinking abolut the IMac G5 ( 20 inch, 2.1Ghz) with at least 1 gig of RAM. Two questions: (1) Can Aperture run "fast enough" on this system ( remember my workflow consists of only a few images at a time, but I dont like waiting either) and (2) from the peeps who have used Aperture what's the final verdict on this app?

BTW, somebody is gonna ask / say why are you buying Aperture in the 1st place is your work flow is minimal - remember Im a teacher and can get Aperture "very reduced"

troy

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    You don't need Aperture.
    You do need the iMac G5.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You don't need Aperture.
    You do need the iMac G5.

ok fine, but then what software on the Mac would I run to "fix" up my piccies?

Ive mostly used paint shop pro and Ive heard its not compatible on the Mac. So does that leave me with just the "very confusing" , "way complicated", "makes my neurons wanna runaway" - adobe Photoshop??

troy
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    OK Aperture. Fine :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    ok fine, but then what software on the Mac would I run to "fix" up my piccies?

Ive mostly used paint shop pro and Ive heard its not compatible on the Mac. So does that leave me with just the "very confusing" , "way complicated", "makes my neurons wanna runaway" - adobe Photoshop??

troy

You might be just the iPhoto kind of guy, Troy.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Elements?
    Although I haven't used it, you might be able to use Photoshop Elements...

If you can get to an Apple Store ask the "experts" or "gurus" or whatever they call the help area.

If you get to the Apple Store, go online and go to Apple -- OSX -- and downloads and look in the photography/graphics area.

There are a lot of easier programs for the Mac which may serve your needs better than Photoshop.

I'm not fond of iPhoto at all, I find it to counter-intuitive and I don't like how it handles the image files.

I use iView-Multimedia to download and catalog my images. Then the ones that look good, I bring into photoshop.

Maybe some other Mac experts can suggest some image processing programs for you.

You are brave to switch platforms -- the thought of switching to Windows gives me the chills! I only use them when I absolutely am forced to and find them very confusing and not at all easy to use.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    I was being a little coy about iPhoto. It has great easy red eye correction, but that's as far as I've ever gotten with it. But it seems to be very popular and comes free with macs. I'd actually like to know whether iPhoto can be a first line editing program for someone like Troy who finds PS way too hard.

I also find iTunes difficult, but lots of people love it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 4, 2006
    How about Adobe Lightroom??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    How about Adobe Lightroom??

It is a beta product and should only be used for testing only thumb.gif

Seb
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    elements 3 is a good program. I particularly like the catalog function. You can organise and tab your photos for viewing. The photoshop functions include layers for levels, contrast and saturation (which is all I use). It also has a shadow / highlight function. You can't use actions (or I haven't found it yet). Best of all it is around $90. It definately wouldn't be an expensive mistake if you didn't like it.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    1st of all dont give me the company line... "the search" feature is your friend.
    My Dell is dying and Im lucky enough to even be on the internet right now, so I'll get right to the point. Im thinking abolut the IMac G5 ( 20 inch, 2.1Ghz) with at least 1 gig of RAM. Two questions: (1) Can Aperture run "fast enough" on this system ( remember my workflow consists of only a few images at a time, but I dont like waiting either) and (2) from the peeps who have used Aperture what's the final verdict on this app?

BTW, somebody is gonna ask / say why are you buying Aperture in the 1st place is your work flow is minimal - remember Im a teacher and can get Aperture "very reduced"

troy

Troy,

Aperture will run on the iMac G5. As to whether it's "fast enough," that depends. If you use 2 or 3 effects, or if you use shadows & highlights at all, I'd say no: it will be painful.

Aperture is good now, but it's not perfect. And the iMac G5 has a pretty crappy video card, all considered, compared to higher-end machines. Aperture lives and dies by the video card, so the iMac G5 will be a bit painful.

If it were me, I would wait until the univeral binary version of Aperture comes out, and then get an iMac (with Intel processor) and use the Univeral version of it. This will happen in March. The new iMac has an ATI X1600 instead of the Nvidia FX5200 -- it's a SUBSTANTIAL step up. And the iMac (Intel) has a dual-core processor as well. If you're considering switching, that means you won't have a large # of legacy apps to worry about -- go Intel.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    elements 3 is a good program. I particularly like the catalog function. You can organise and tab your photos for viewing. The photoshop functions include layers for levels, contrast and saturation (which is all I use). It also has a shadow / highlight function. You can't use actions (or I haven't found it yet). Best of all it is around $90. It definately wouldn't be an expensive mistake if you didn't like it.

The mac version of elements does not include cataloging software.

If you're shooting RAW, forget about iPhoto.

I use Photoshop CS2 and iView Media Pro.

Elements is fine and great for many things, and is very inexpensive. I would get Elements before I got Aperture. Aperture is not a PS replacement. Elements is. Minus some features.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The mac version of elements does not include cataloging software.

If you're shooting RAW, forget about iPhoto.

I use Photoshop CS2 and iView Media Pro.

Elements is fine and great for many things, and is very inexpensive. I would get Elements before I got Aperture. Aperture is not a PS replacement. Elements is. Minus some features.

THANX TO ALL FOR THE ADVICE!

Im going to get a new Intel Imac for my b'day in June ( i gotta save some $$$ ), BUT IN THE MEANTIME, im using a dell XPS 400 that hopefully will retain at least 50% of its value..... and Ill be happy

troy
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    THANX TO ALL FOR THE ADVICE!

Im going to get a new Intel Imac for my b'day in June ( i gotta save some $$$ ), BUT IN THE MEANTIME, im using a dell XPS 400 that hopefully will retain at least 50% of its value..... and Ill be happy

troy

Things are changing very quickly now for the Macs. When you're ready to buy, ask first. You wouldn't want to get one in June with the next revision coming out shortly after. I have no idea what the schedule is, but I, for one, would much rather get the rev b than a rev a machine.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    I was in a computer shop today and saw the Apple 30" and 23" screens iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

When Garmin make their mapsource software for Apple I will buy a powerbook. I played with the g4 powerbook for a while and and the widgets are brilliant.