Photographing Feet

jfcpetersjfcpeters Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited October 2, 2004 in Technique
I really want to do a "feet" layout. I want to take a picture of my DD's feet with my new DS. My DD is 14 and he is 2 months, so their feet are REALLY different in size. Lol! What's the best way to do this? I tried laying him between her legs, so his feet would be between hers, but that soooo didn't work. Any hints, tips or ideas? Ultimately, I'm hoping to do several layouts like this of their different "parts," (hands, feet, faces, etc.) so any ideas you have on photographing them would be most welcome!! THANKS!

BTW, I have a black and white background (really just sheets), and these are just personal shots, nothing professional.

Jen in N. TX

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2004
    jfcpeters wrote:
    I really want to do a "feet" layout. I want to take a picture of my DD's feet with my new DS. My DD is 14 and he is 2 months, so their feet are REALLY different in size. Lol! What's the best way to do this? I tried laying him between her legs, so his feet would be between hers, but that soooo didn't work. Any hints, tips or ideas? Ultimately, I'm hoping to do several layouts like this of their different "parts," (hands, feet, faces, etc.) so any ideas you have on photographing them would be most welcome!! THANKS!

BTW, I have a black and white background (really just sheets), and these are just personal shots, nothing professional.

Jen in N. TX
    Hi Jenwave.gif Welcome!!! I've got a thing about feet... don't like em much but I bet there folks on this forum who do so wait a while and you'll get some feedback.:D Lynn
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    Perhaps I am stupid, and I really dont have any great ideas for you, I was just wondering what DD and DS stood for?
  • jfcpetersjfcpeters Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    GREAPER wrote:
    Perhaps I am stupid, and I really dont have any great ideas for you, I was just wondering what DD and DS stood for?
    Sorry, I should have been a little more clear... DD stands for "Dear Daughter" and DS for ""Dear Son." I've seen photos of feet where somehow the photographer was able to "line up" the subject's feet in such a way that you could see the soles, but not the rest of the feet.

I don't mind doing some tweaking in PSP to get the look I want, but I can't even figure out how to position them for the shoot in the first place. THANKS!
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2004
    jfcpeters wrote:
    Sorry, I should have been a little more clear... DD stands for "Dear Daughter" and DS for ""Dear Son." I've seen photos of feet where somehow the photographer was able to "line up" the subject's feet in such a way that you could see the soles, but not the rest of the feet.

I don't mind doing some tweaking in PSP to get the look I want, but I can't even figure out how to position them for the shoot in the first place. THANKS!
    I've shot lots of feet...one of my favorite things with babies. You can always use a black drape and cover anything you don't want to see in black fabric or faux fur material (for some reason this material shoots as jet black instead of showing lines or wrinkles like some drapes) and shoot the picture in black and white...or desaturate leaving a little red in the feet (cute pink baby toes)

Good Luck (I have 2 DD and 2 DS thumb.gif )
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    jfcpeters wrote:

Jen in N. TX

Could you place their feet on top of a glass coffee table kind of setup and shoot from below the table to capture only their soles? Lighting might be tricky - I would skip flash and use some kind of diffuse modelling lights. Just a novel way of looking at feet. beer.gif
    This might be an interesting project - not simple to do - but interesting, and would allow you to repeat the shots over time to record their growth also......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2004
    For your feet...
    How about trying propping the feet up on a bolster pillow or the arm of a sofa. This gets the body down on another level. Use a black drape for the rest. Try this site for ideas.

http://www.pbase.com/jfuglestad/image/14458116
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    I LOVE feet pictures, and just body part pictures too. This sounds like a great shoot. This will really depend on how well your subjects will cooperate, namely your son...

#1) Have your daughter lay on her stomach with her knees bend so her feet are over her rear. Prop your son (you'll probably need a bunch of pillows and a couple extra hands) so he's laying on your daugter with his feet toward hers. You can put his feet against hers heel to heel. She'll need to cross her feet to have them match.

#2) Have both children laying on thier tummies facing opposite each other with their ankles crossed. Take an overhead shot of the crossed feet next to eachother.

#3) Stand your son on your daughter's feet/toes, just like how you use to dance with your dad...

#4) Have children sitting opposite eachother, and have your daughter "hold" his feet with hers.

There are some other good ideas posted here too. Good luck with your project...I can't wait to see the outcome!

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    One I took this morning with a black drape:

9233181-M.jpg
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    You did good
    Hey Tina,
    You did good, gal. The light is wonderful. Great detail. Did you use just natural light?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2004
    Those things are scary! The feet, cute, but scary.:D

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.