Options

Prevent Photoshop saving 8-bit .PSD files

bmcent1bmcent1 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited February 5, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi!
New here. I do something too often that bits me in the digital darkroom...

My workflow is, import RAW to PS CS2 via ACR. Next, post process and saw as a .PSD (16-bit). Finally, if needed, crop, resize, and convert to 8-bit and save as a .JPEG to upload to SmugMug.

I like keeping a copy of the .RAW file, the post processed file (where I spend the most time), and the final version.

Too often, after saving the .PSD and then converting to 8-bit, I slip and hit Ctrl-S and overwrite the .PSD with revised 8-bit version. Sometimes I get into a rhythm didn't notice this until I've undone a couple hours of work =)

Is there a simple way to tell Photoshop: "Do not, under any circumstances, save a .PSD file that is not 16-bit?"

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Use Image/Duplicate
    bmcent1 wrote:
    Hi!
    New here. I do something too often that bits me in the digital darkroom...

My workflow is, import RAW to PS CS2 via ACR. Next, post process and saw as a .PSD (16-bit). Finally, if needed, crop, resize, and convert to 8-bit and save as a .JPEG to upload to SmugMug.

I like keeping a copy of the .RAW file, the post processed file (where I spend the most time), and the final version.

Too often, after saving the .PSD and then converting to 8-bit, I slip and hit Ctrl-S and overwrite the .PSD with revised 8-bit version. Sometimes I get into a rhythm didn't notice this until I've undone a couple hours of work =)

Is there a simple way to tell Photoshop: "Do not, under any circumstances, save a .PSD file that is not 16-bit?"

I doubt you can tell Photoshop not to save an 8-bit PSD. But, you could do the following:
    • Process your 16-bit image like you normally do.
    • Save it like you normally do.
    • Image/Duplicate (this will force you to give it a new name)
    • (optional) - close the original
    • On the duplicate file, do your crop, resize, convert to 8-bit
    This will make it impossible to overwrite your original. It's really only one extra step (Image/Duplicate).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 5, 2006
    another suggestion-

if your workflow is fairly consistent step-wise what about setting up a workflow action with one step being a save as with a pause and instructions to rename file; or incor-porate jfriend's suggestion into a workflow action-

george
  • Options
    bmcent1bmcent1 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    another suggestion-

if your workflow is fairly consistent step-wise what about setting up a workflow action with one step being a save as with a pause and instructions to rename file; or incor-porate jfriend's suggestion into a workflow action-

george

Thanks, these are both great suggestions. I created an action that does:
    - save 16-bit version
    - duplicate
    - close orig 16-bit version
    - flatten image
    - convert duplicate to 8-bit mode

It works very well. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    I would use the Image Processor for this. File>Scripts>Image Processor.

There's a tute here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops