• nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Real Time S9000 Shutterlag, AF Test Part 2
    Part 2,

Regards, Nicholas
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006

'A picture is worth a thousand words'

I love shooting Tae Kwon Do. These are from my old trusty Sony F-717, from nearly three years ago, heck, the camera is four years old lol3.gif

(click on the pics for the exifs)

55155057-M.jpg55155066-M.jpg
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    I think you got the exif links wrong Andy.
    edited February 5, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I think you got the exif links wrong Andy.
    lol3.gif I sure did! Fixed - thanks for noticing and saying.
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Is it just me or does both of those photo's from the S9000 look out of focus, or a really bad lacking of sharpness. I see some motion blur in them also.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Is it just me or does both of those photo's from the S9000 look out of focus, or a really bad lacking of sharpness. I see some motion blur in them also.
    Same here.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Now I know more about Digital grin than I knew before.

It seems that I have unknownigly lanced Digitalgrin's boil, resulting in the spraying of the apparant essence of Digitalgrin for all to see, at least until this post or thread is removed.

I wish i knew this earlier, I would have never wasted my time.

I give you my promise, you won't see me here any more.

Good riddence, Nicholas

Guess we're not as bad as you said we were last week eh nick?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    I also see a big lack of sharpness. Also, I don't see how this demonstrates shutter lag time. I think a better comparison would be 2 side-by-side shots of the same person doing one kick. That would be a much better way of showing shutter lag.

On another note, I agree with you, Scott.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Aww, Scott, give it a rest. We all enjoy our gear. No harm, no foul. Leave it be.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 5, 2006
    (I give up.)
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited February 5, 2006
    Really - Scott - you need to chill, man.
    Nick's alright, and can and should post as much as he likes. This was a good thread, it got me to look back at some old 717 shots I had, and it further validated that shutter lag, it's not such a big deal -- if you know your camera you can get good shots with nearly any piece of gear :D

Sure, if I was shooting Tae Kwon Do for a living, I'd have a different box. Fast shutter, low lag, etc etc. But Nick's made a good demo here. Could the pics be better? Yah - but he's demo'ing the shutter lag and shotabilty of his camera. That's what this forum's about deal.gif
    edited February 5, 2006
    Honestly, I don't care whether he's using a kodak p&s or a d2x. What I care about is the ridiculous attention he drew to himself, took things personally, attacked back personally, then told us he was leaving.

Now he's back to repeat it all? No. I won't let this happen again.

Two different mods are giving you some good advice.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Honestly, I don't care whether he's using a kodak p&s or a d2x. What I care about is the ridiculous attention he drew to himself, took things personally, attacked back personally, then told us he was leaving.

Scott,

Nick has every right to post here. Your post is totally offbase and tiresome.

Driving our members away through posts like that is not helping at all.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 5, 2006

Scott, let me remind you of your moment of you own moment of drama, and the fact that we worked with you and deleted most of your posts at your request.

As for letting this happen again, be clear. if you mean letting it get personal and vindictive, well, you're already heading down that path. If you mean letting Nick post at all, well, I'm afraid that's not something you have any control over, so stop acting as if you do.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 5, 2006
    Three different mods are giving you some good advice. :jose
    Sid.
    edited February 5, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    As for letting this happen again, be clear. if you mean letting it get personal and vindictive, well, you're already heading down that path. If you mean letting Nick post at all, well, I'm afraid that's not something you have any control over, so stop acting as if you do.
    I don't have any control over him posting, that's true. I Just thought I'd remind him about his own words, that's all...

Regarding shutter lag, as long as a camera is predictable, any P&S can get action shots.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Detail crops
    Here are crops of each image.

These subjects were not static. Those holding the wood planks were thrown back as the foot penetrated it.

The captured detail is good enough for my standards.
    The textue of the fabric, the chinese symbols on the belt, the bottom of the sneaker, the color of the wood, are very satisfying to me at the price point of my camera.

Hopefully Fuji will be 'forced' to to come out with an 'S9000 Pro' with a real buffer ( in response to the coming Live preview DSLR's ) which would enable me to shoot this type of subject in RAW and obtain the full resolution available from the Super CCD and the Fuji glass of my camera.

Regards, Nicholas
    edited February 6, 2006

Regards, Nicholas

Hey Nick, you might try embedding instead of attaching. You can show a better quality image that way. You won't get an overly compressed, artifacty image that way.

Here's how:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138

All the best,

Andy
    SmugMug
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    interesting post, nick
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Is that balsa wood?headscratch.gif
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Is that balsa wood?headscratch.gif

Heh, yeah, those are pretty damned thin boards. Back in my martial arts days (Tang Soo Do and Shoryn Ryu if you care) we used 1" thick boards (and often doubled up).

Anyhow, I find that trying to predict the shot is tiresome. I hated the lag on my C-750.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    The examples you posted are not very becoming of the camera. The 828 could/would have done an even better job... why did you switch, anyways?

Is there a reason you can't get broadband in your area? That way you can share some uncompressed photos of much higher quality, aiding your sales pitch.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You won't get an overly compressed, artifacty image that way.
    I hope this is the reason - I was looking at the crops thinking "holy cow!"

So here's my question, the S9000 is a "prosumer point and shoot", so I assume though, that it still selects ISO. I doubt attaching vs. embedding images makes that big a difference, so we'll assume those crops will still be terribly aliased and artifacty (to coin the term lol3.gif). Is it because the s9 picked a nasty high ISO to catch the motion? Will P&S cameras ever be able to handle action?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 8, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I hope this is the reason - I was looking at the crops thinking "holy cow!"

So here's my question, the S9000 is a "prosumer point and shoot", so I assume though, that it still selects ISO. I doubt attaching vs. embedding images makes that big a difference, so we'll assume those crops will still be terribly aliased and artifacty (to coin the term lol3.gif). Is it because the s9 picked a nasty high ISO to catch the motion? Will P&S cameras ever be able to handle action?

Hey Erik,

On prosumers like the old Sony 717 and the newer Sony 828, and R1, you can choose and fix your ISO. Same for the Fuji S9000. With these cameras, you still have pretty much the same controls as on your familiar DSLR - Aperture, Shutter Priority modes, Manual mode, and then a bunch of Scene modes.

Did you see the action I caught (first page this thread) with my old Sony 717? Sure P&S can capture action - it requires more skill and practice than with a high-fps DSLR but sure, they can.

Sony F-828
    46999863-M.jpg
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ...it requires more skill and practice than with a high-fps DSLR but sure, they can.
    Agreed, and I thought they had more control in newer gens. And actually, I just picked up my lowly little Pentax Optio and I can even fix the ISO on that!

But the hand on the young man in front or your photo looks pretty artifacty. Why? I would think it would look blurry if it was due to motion, not crappy? That's what I was getting to, same thing from the S9, crap, not blur.

headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 8, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    But the hand on the young man in front or your photo looks pretty artifacty. Why? I would think it would look blurry if it was due to motion, not crappy? That's what I was getting to, same thing from the S9, crap, not blur.

headscratch.gif

Probably smugmug compression. The blue sky...large areas of one color can do that.
    Moderator Emeritus