liquid donut

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited February 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
Time to make the donuts...

55033777-L.jpg

Actually, I can't be sure it's a donut, but if it is, I think they should hand over my phd in fluid dynamics right now! I was trying to capture drop impacts on "different" surfaces. Everyone (including me) has done flat surfaces, but what about a hex head bolt? A phillips head? My control in the kitchen sink was pretty bad, I'm going to set this up in the lab where I have much much better drop control (size and aim).

some more from this weeks playing:

"water dance"

55033566-M.jpg

"arm"

55033544-M.jpg

"pending impact"

55033779-M.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Awesome shots! Very unique approach. I like the last one the best!
  • CrispinCrispin Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Very cool and very different...thumb.gif
    What were you using to drip water? I tried everything in the house with a small hole. Biggest problem is that I had nothing to mount it on - was hand holding everything.

Like the first one the most, looks like the head if deformed from water hitting it...
    Cheers,
    Crispin
    http://crispin.smugmug.com
    SQL Mechanic
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 5, 2006
    Crispin wrote:
    Very cool and very different...thumb.gif
    What were you using to drip water? I tried everything in the house with a small hole. Biggest problem is that I had nothing to mount it on - was hand holding everything.

Like the first one the most, looks like the head if deformed from water hitting it...
    Hey thanks. :D

I was just using the faucet turned as low as possible, so it would drip, about every 4 seconds, I got pretty good at counting 1 ... 2... 3... 4... BLAST!!! (40 frames at 8fps came in real handy here!). The bolt was being helt by a big paper clip on top of a glass in the sink. A lamp overhead and shoe-mounted SB800.

In the lab, I have a syringe pump which will give me a controlled set of very small drops, so I won't flood the bolt as much, maybe get some cooler drops. I can also dope the water with some heavier viscosity glycerine there and perhaps see some more "fun" effects.

Stay tuned...
    Erik

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    last ones great erikthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Doc,

This is the kind of fluid dynamics that interests me!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    How Cool Is That?
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Time to make the donuts...

Actually, I can't be sure it's a donut, but if it is, I think they should hand over my phd in fluid dynamics right now! I was trying to capture drop impacts on "different" surfaces. Everyone (including me) has done flat surfaces, but what about a hex head bolt? A phillips head? My control in the kitchen sink was pretty bad, I'm going to set this up in the lab where I have much much better drop control (size and aim).

some more from this weeks playing:
    "water dance"
    "arm"
    "pending impact"

Great stuff! ........ it's not as easy to do as it looks is it rolleyes1.gif
    You don't realise how flexible water is till you see it in droplet motion, and the shapes it can bend in to.
    Great Series clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited February 6, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Doc,

This is the kind of fluid dynamics that interests me!
    Yup, I had read a blurb on that somewhere before. nod.gif

If you're into numerical stuff, Fluent (and it's community) are pretty fun - based here in MA, a professor on my phd committee has designed lots of toolboxes for them.

And that's about as excited as I can get about numerical simulation. I'm an experimentalist, I think code is for the birds.
    Erik

edited February 6, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Great stuff! ........ it's not as easy to do as it looks is it rolleyes1.gif
    You don't realise how flexible water is till you see it in droplet motion, and the shapes it can bend in to.
    Great Series clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks, Skip!

Careful with your description now - prepare for full nerd-out! Water is actually not "flexible", it's skin is just very tough and can hold itself together for quite a bit - high surface tension, at least for a Newtonian fluid. That's why I want to try this with glycerine, which actually is more "flexible", or better yet, some of my Non-Newtonian fluids that are viscoelastic.

Nonetheless, you're right, droplet impact/evolution/breakup is super cool.
    Erik