canon or sigma 10-22mm

Darwin36Darwin36 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 7, 2006 in Cameras
Well guys I'm about ready to get a different lens for my 20D canon. I need wide angle for interior shots and panoramas. Looking at a 10-22mm sigma and canon lens. which one would you guys suggest?

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Darwin36 wrote:
    Well guys I'm about ready to get a different lens for my 20D canon. I need wide angle for interior shots and panoramas. Looking at a 10-22mm sigma and canon lens. which one would you guys suggest?

I have never stitched panoramas together but I have read a bit on it. The best lenses are Shift Lenses (or Tilt Shift). For a normal lens I believe a lens with the least amount of distortion will make cleaner panoramas. On a 1.6x body canon's 20mm would work since the disortion is outside of the sensor.

I was checking out the Hartblei tilt shift review on photozone yesterday http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/hartblei_80_28/index.htm kiev camera also has a 65mm and a 120mm.

I am not saying this is a better lens than the canon or sigma, it might just make life easier for ya.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Bob i dont think darwin was talking about stitching shots that wide (too much distortion from that lens)

Darwin i am never overwhelmed with the 10-22 canons sharpness but its an effect lens ..not a portrait lens. There is a huge page on the net comparing the two in great detail & from his findings...the canon is a clear winner.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Darwin36 wrote:

The Sigma and Tokina did well in this Shutterbug test
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Sigma or Canon UWA??
    Darwin36 wrote:

I went with the Sigma and I am very happy with it - ultra-sharp, no CA, built like an "L" lens. I found the 10-22 to be to plasticky to truly appreciate, and I want to avoid EF-S lenses wherever possible.
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Darwin36 wrote:

The tokina 12-24mm f/4 is highly regarded. I doubt they'll be an appreciable difference between 10-12mm for anyone new to SWA photography.
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Bob i dont think darwin was talking about stitching shots that wide (too much distortion from that lens)

Darwin i am never overwhelmed with the 10-22 canons sharpness but its an effect lens ..not a portrait lens. There is a huge page on the net comparing the two in great detail & from his findings...the canon is a clear winner.

What do you mean by "an effect lens"? Do the pictures it produces look funky, or what?
    Cave ab homine unius libri