Anyone have the Nikon 18-200 VR?

MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited February 9, 2006 in Cameras
I tried a search of the forums, but couldn't find a lot.

Does anyone have the Nikon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II? I have read a few reviews online, but I would really like to hear an opinion from one of you guys (or gals!). I am thinking of getting this lens, but I am a little bit concerned about distortion. Just how bad is it? I know all superzooms suffer from some distortion, but while I have seen several reviews mention the distortion, I would like to see some pictures of "straight" lines throughout the range of the zoom.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/

Comments

• MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    So then that is a no? Not one of the Nikon shooters has been lured by the siren song of this lens?

Does this mean that I must buy this lens, as a service to all those out there wondering about it?

--Aaron

• PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    I'm sorry, what is a NIKON?

rolleyes1.gifSorry I couldn't resist. That sure sounds like a nice lens, I must confess I know next to nothing about Nikon. I think you are obligated to buy that lens now, and share your experience with it.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Yes please buy it and let us know! I've looked into that lens a few times but I haven't bought it yet - no $$...ne_nau.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    MrBook2 wrote:

Does anyone have the Nikon 18-200 f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR II? I have read a few reviews online, but I would really like to hear an opinion from one of you guys (or gals!). I am thinking of getting this lens, but I am a little bit concerned about distortion. Just how bad is it? I know all superzooms suffer from some distortion, but while I have seen several reviews mention the distortion, I would like to see some pictures of "straight" lines throughout the range of the zoom.

--Aaron

here's a review http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nikkor_18200VR.shtml#Gallery
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    MrBook2 wrote:
    So then that is a no? Not one of the Nikon shooters has been lured by the siren song of this lens?

Does this mean that I must buy this lens, as a service to all those out there wondering about it?

--Aaron
    There just aren't that many Nikon shooters here, is all. In forums where I've seen user reviews of this lens, they are quite positive. Although it's got a big range, and the quality is not quite that of a 2.8 zoom, the lens stands up very well I hear in real world situations. Most people are very surprised at this lens.

Don't have one yet meself...
  • tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    MrBook2 wrote:

--Aaron

I have this lens, but not that many photos with straight lines. The first three show some distortion of the horizon at different zoom ranges:

18mm
    54355994-L.jpg

65mm
    54360996-L.jpg

200mm
    54368662-L.jpg

18mm
    49463013-L.jpg

24mm
    49463206-L.jpg
    edited February 7, 2006
    I tried a very unscientific approach to taking pictures of straight lines. You can see them here
    The pictures were taken at a range of 5-15 feet away from the subject.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    tonyd wrote:
    I tried a very unscientific approach to taking pictures of straight lines. You can see them here
    The pictures were taken at a range of 5-15 feet away from the subject.

Tony,
    Thanks for posting those pics. How do you like the feel of this lens on the D2X? It seems like a tempting purchase as an all-around lens. My concern is related to how brutal this camera can be on lower end Nikkors. Your pics do show significant distortion at both ends and some light falloff at wide angle on your test shots. Are these significant with your real life shooting?

Thanks
  • galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I also have this lens, and think it's great for what I do. Here are some: samples.

These are all un-doctored, right out of the camera. I have more on my PC that just haven't been uploaded to smugmug yet.

I will say this about the lens. It is a lot heavier than the kit 18-55 lens that came with my D50. It's alright, though. I love the extra reach it provides, and the VR seems to work very well.

105mm
    54795949-M.jpg

38mm:
    54219280-M.jpg

24mm:
    52654622-M.jpg

20mm:
    54797039-M.jpg

Low light ; 1/8s 18mm
    54218530-M.jpg
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    MrBook2 wrote:

--Aaron

I tried it on my D200 at a local Ritz just for grins. Wasn't very interesting to me but I was curious how the VRII was compared to the VR. Seemed like a decent all-around lens but I have no true first hand experience other than 10 minutes in/around the store. Anyways, point being I'd hit the dpreview Nikon forums for that. Some folks have been pleased, some not...it'll likely be relative to what you need/expect.

NIKON SHOOTER HERE!!! clap.gif:)
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
    edited February 7, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Tony,
    Thanks for posting those pics. How do you like the feel of this lens on the D2X? It seems like a tempting purchase as an all-around lens. My concern is related to how brutal this camera can be on lower end Nikkors. Your pics do show significant distortion at both ends and some light falloff at wide angle on your test shots. Are these significant with your real life shooting?

Thanks

I think it feels fine on the D2x. I don't think I really notice it on the camera given that the D2x is twice the weight of that lens.

I just checked the original raw images of the shots I posted above (ocean and cemetery) and I made no vignettig adjustments. I suppose the vigneting will show up in closeup and low light conditions(?).
    The portrait shot above wasn't cropped and there is not any light falloff in the corners (at least I that I notice).
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Thanks for all the responses and the sample shots.

I try to avoid digging through dpreview's forums when I can help it, but I guess I should check it out too.

--Aaron

• macaddictmacaddict Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I ordered this lens Feb. 1 from B&H - $749.95 - but it's not in stock. This lens has got a backlog of orders at every vendor it seems. Anyway, the reason I ordered was Ken Rockwell's review. I also saw many sample shots that convinced me.

I have a Nikkor 28-200mm f5.6, which I am not happy with and want to dump. I'm convinced the 18-200 in question will be the answer I'm looking for!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I find the 18-200 DX VR to be hands down the world's greatest "walk around" lens, a perfect travel / everyday lens. Whether it be on a D50 or a D2X, a beginner or a high-paid pro, the 18-200 DX VR will be the best lens to use for general shooting.

I make this claim, why? Because it's sharp. The "affordable" price, size / weight, and zoom range would be useless if it were super-soft at 18mm or 200mm. However, it is indeed sharp. Here's two pictures I took with it, on a D200 at Nikon Service in El Segundo about a month ago:

http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/gallery/261021/1/53700740

I took many more photos, but since all there was laying around to test image sharpness was paperwork with people's personal info splayed all over it, I only uploaded these two. Suffice it to say that even at 1600 ISO, (which is perfectly useable, BTW) ...surprising sharpness is exhibited...

If I had to use only one one lens, it would be this one. I would confidently use it for everything from 16x24" print landscapes to portraits to low-light events.

It's not a reason to throw away all your other, sharper, fast-apeture lenses, not by a long shot, but it IS as I said before the greatest "walk around" lens of all time...

Take care,
    -Matt-

PS: Upon reading Ken Rockwell's review, one can discover that the 18-200 DX VR has a mount-gaket! Wow!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Here's one more shot for you.. I am about 3 miles from the Empire State Building.

f5.6 200mm

55583239-L.jpg