I want a digital SLR.

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited February 6, 2006 in Cameras
I want better pics.

This seems like an incredible amount of gear for $900.

Am I missing something?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-D-50-Digital-SLR-Camera-3000-PKG-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ7587918003QQcategoryZ43456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Hi Amadeus....
    amadeus wrote:

Am I missing something?

To be quite blunt, YES.

Basically, you are getting a $489.94 D50 body ( look here: http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=4805) and a bunch of *junk*.

Junky lenses, junky SD card, junky USB 1.0 card reader, junky tripod, junky flash, junky filters, worthless 'wide angle' adapter (?), etc. Honestly, there is nothing in that package I could recommend with a clear conscience besides the camera.

One of the keys to buying and building a good DSLR system is to focus on QUALITY NEVER QUANTITY. You'd be better off buying a D50 body and a good Nikon prime or ONE good Nikon mid-range zoom, then two lenses you'd be likely to replace in the near future.

I did stumble across this package at Canoga Camera:

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=25488

The above package offers the very good Nikon 18-70 DX zoom, a decent Sandisk Ultra III card, name-brand Hoya filter, NIKON extended warranty, etc. Doesn't look too bad for only a bit more cash. Canoga is a reputable dealer, and I've purchased quite a bit from them with good experience.

Another option is to just get a D50 with the upscale 18-70 DX 'kit lens' (instead of the not quite as good 18-55DX lens) as shown here:

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=25487

For $489.94 body only, even I'm tempted to pick up a D50! Allow yourself $300 to $400 for lenses, and you could put together a pretty nice kit using it as a foundation. I'd only recommend this though if you *know* you won't like the kit lens. Otherwise, the D50 with 18-70DX for $800 seems like a pretty good deal to me. If you need to get the SD card and a bag anyway, then the D50, 18-70DX, 1GB SD card, and bag for $960 isn't that bad either.

Take care,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    To be quite blunt, YES.

Basically, you are getting a $489.94 D50 body ( look here: http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=4805) and a bunch of *junk*.

Junky lenses, junky SD card, junky USB 1.0 card reader, junky tripod, junky flash, junky filters, worthless 'wide angle' adapter (?), etc. Honestly, there is nothing in that package I could recommend with a clear conscience besides the camera.

One of the keys to buying and building a good DSLR system is to focus on QUALITY NEVER QUANTITY. You'd be better off buying a D50 body and a good Nikon prime or ONE good Nikon mid-range zoom, then two lenses you'd be likely to replace in the near future.

I did stumble across this package at Canoga Camera:

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=25488

The above package offers the very good Nikon 18-70 DX zoom, a decent Sandisk Ultra III card, name-brand Hoya filter, NIKON extended warranty, etc. Doesn't look too bad for only a bit more cash. Canoga is a reputable dealer, and I've purchased quite a bit from them with good experience.

Another option is to just get a D50 with the upscale 18-70 DX 'kit lens' (instead of the not quite as good 18-55DX lens) as shown here:

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=25487

For $489.94 body only, even I'm tempted to pick up a D50! Allow yourself $300 to $400 for lenses, and you could put together a pretty nice kit using it as a foundation. I'd only recommend this though if you *know* you won't like the kit lens. Otherwise, the D50 with 18-70DX for $800 seems like a pretty good deal to me. If you need to get the SD card and a bag anyway, then the D50, 18-70DX, 1GB SD card, and bag for $960 isn't that bad either.

Take care,

Mongrel

thanks for taking the time for all that info. I figured it was too good to be true, but its still staggering. hard case. soft case. tripod. lens. etc etc etc.

thanks again.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Flug...look at me. The next time you see this in our flea market forum or in fred miranda's forum...buy it.

Then just buy some lenses & pick up all the little bits & pieces as you go.

Its sort of like a noob asking about ricky bars or those cool valve cover guards on adv...your a noobie & im going to shine the light for your path ahead mwink.gif
    edited February 5, 2006
    Then flug.....buy this & then this & of course the 18-55 kit lens worth (i dunno ? under $80 USD maybe)

Thats a great kit to start off with that should be picked up for under a large.
    edited February 5, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Flug...look at me. The next time you see this in our flea market forum or in fred miranda's forum...buy it.

Then just buy some lenses & pick up all the little bits & pieces as you go.

Its sort of like a noob asking about ricky bars or those cool valve cover guards on adv...your a noobie & im going to shine the light for your path ahead mwink.gif

thanks morpheus. I see thats a "silver" rebel. I looked on best buy and Ebay and saw no ditial rebels listed as a "silver" rebel?

anything I should know?
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    amadeus wrote:
    thanks morpheus. I see thats a "silver" rebel. I looked on best buy and Ebay and saw no ditial rebels listed as a "silver" rebel?

anything I should know?

As far as I know the silver is just referring to the color of the body. The Rebel XT came in two flavors, black and silver, but they are identical cameras.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me!!
    edited February 5, 2006
    Black or silver it makes no diff....but like our GS's..black looks better.
    edited February 5, 2006
    Molsondog wrote:
    Not just looks better. Rides better. Particularly the Adventure.

Now, back to cameras: With the intro of the D200 there are a number of D70 models on the used market at good prices. A D70 used is a better rig than the D50. If you are interested in older (3 years) tech check the used market for D100 models. They can be had for about $650.

There are enough folks out there that shoot light but want the latest and dump a 1-3 year old camera just to have something like the D200. Check out the actuation count.

I made out in spades with an extended warranty from best Buy on a Canon A80. They replaced it. I want new and those %0 interest deals are always really sweet. Thanks for the input.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    amadeus wrote:
    I made out in spades with an extended warranty from best Buy on a Canon A80. They replaced it. I want new and those %0 interest deals are always really sweet. Thanks for the input.

New BB opening here, Flug, just across the Bear Mountain Bridge. BTW if you want any help, holler. You're getting lots of advice. Soon, the market will flood with 20Ds for sale, too...
    edited February 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Soon, the market will flood with 20Ds for sale, too...

This is good advice IMO flug...I absolutely love mine, its a great camera.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Along these same lines which cameras do you think will be in the 600-800 range by the end of this year? Do you think the 20D will be down to that yet?