Grrr.. My D70 lightmeter is busted (and on its way to BGLOD?)!

flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
edited February 7, 2006 in Cameras
I went out shooting the Chinese New Year's parade in Boston and a noticed that my exposures were waaaay off. Mostly too dark, but also too light sometimes.

I pointed the lens to the asphalt, my camera was in A-mode. The shutter speed jumped around from 1/20th to 1/3000th, up and down, etc.
I hard-reset the camera, removed the batteries for a while, changed lenses.. nothing would fix it.

And i saw a couple of times the CHA error, whatever that is. I think i'm on my way to the BGLOD problem...

I guess i have to send my D70 in for repair. Only about 6000 shutter-actuations... shouldn't have happened... ah well.
Question to anyone in USA to whom this happened as well: What is the expected turn-around time (time between sending in and getting it back fixed)?

BTW: I bought it at BestBuy.com with a 4 year extended warranty.
And a silver lining: I got a good excercise shooting in full manual mode (i have no external light meter)! 't Was a lot of work though, with the sun out and the shades of the buildings downtown.
I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
in two billion years,
all I can think is:
    "Will that be on a Monday?"
==========================
http://www.streetsofboston.com
http://blog.antonspaans.com

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    I have sent my D2H back twice. Both tines the turn around was very fast (less than two weeks). Call up Nikon's cutomer support, they will e-mail you a shipping label, mail it, and after a few days contact their repair folks and get a service # for your D70 (they say they will send it to you but never do). This way you can track your camera's status on-line.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I have sent my D2H back twice. Both tines the turn around was very fast (less than two weeks). Call up Nikon's cutomer support, they will e-mail you a shipping label, mail it, and after a few days contact their repair folks and get a service # for your D70 (they say they will send it to you but never do). This way you can track your camera's status on-line.

Thanks for your reply!
    Good to know that Nikon has a pretty fast turnaround time!

But i have to go through BestBuy. My 1-year manufacturer warranty has expired. I need to get it fixed on my BestBuy (4year) extended warranty. So, this may add some extra time :=)

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Thanks for your reply!

But i have to go through BestBuy. My 1-year manufacturer warranty has expired. I need to get it fixed on my BestBuy (4year) extended warranty. So, this may add some extra time :=)
    I've heard of cases where BestBuy would simply let someone upgrade to the newer model. Maybe you'll get a D70s for your troubles. :):

If they give you credit towards another body I'd highly suggest you consider a D200 instead. I love my D70 but at the same time find it unreliable. I've IR modded it myself since I can't depend on it for normal photography and have since bought two D100 bodies which I find much better for my use.
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    I love my D70 but at the same time find it unreliable.

In what way? This is the first I've heard of anyone having trouble with it, and I keep recommending the camera to friends because it has a very good reputation amongst the people I know who shoot with it. If there's a problem area I'd like to know.

jim
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    And a silver lining: I got a good excercise shooting in full manual mode (i have no external light meter)!

You don't need an external light meter, just use the histogram. One of the nicest things about these DSLRs is you can take a sample shot and peer at the histogram and know for sure how close the exposure is.

It took me two years to really start to take advantage of that. I used to use P mode all the time (this on a 300D) for the flash (still do in some cases) but the auto exposure is almost never right; usually at least a half exposure too dark but sometimes a quarter exposure too light. I have to correct virtually every image when I shoot that way.

But by taking a test shot every now and then and adjusting the exposure to balance the histogram I can get nice exposures with far fewer mistakes than I made with 35mm and an external meter.

The only thing that's hard to explain is how it took me two years to do this. It's not like I didn't immediately notice that the automated exposure feature didn't work very well.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
    edited February 6, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    You don't need an external light meter, just use the histogram. One of the nicest things about these DSLRs is you can take a sample shot and peer at the histogram and know for sure how close the exposure is.

It took me two years to really start to take advantage of that. I used to use P mode all the time (this on a 300D) for the flash (still do in some cases) but the auto exposure is almost never right; usually at least a half exposure too dark but sometimes a quarter exposure too light. I have to correct virtually every image when I shoot that way.

But by taking a test shot every now and then and adjusting the exposure to balance the histogram I can get nice exposures with far fewer mistakes than I made with 35mm and an external meter.

The only thing that's hard to explain is how it took me two years to do this. It's not like I didn't immediately notice that the automated exposure feature didn't work very well.

Thanks!

Using the histogram worked for me... but it was very inconvenient yesterday. I was shooting the Chinese New Year's parade and it was cloudy first (histogram works fine), then it became sunny. In the city, with sun and the (partial) shadows of buildings, it is hard to shoot this way. The exposure is different every corner you turn; sun .. shadow... little shadow... full sun... etc :D

And i like street photography. I just don't have time to pre-shoot, check histogram and shoot again.... takes too much time.

But using the histogram worked and i have some nice shots.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited February 6, 2006
    I've heard of cases where BestBuy would simply let someone upgrade to the newer model. Maybe you'll get a D70s for your troubles. :):

If they give you credit towards another body I'd highly suggest you consider a D200 instead. I love my D70 but at the same time find it unreliable. I've IR modded it myself since I can't depend on it for normal photography and have since bought two D100 bodies which I find much better for my use.

I was thinking the same... but the d200s are nowhere to be found... all backordered.

BestBuy has a good warranty policy. I know of cases in which the repair would take more than 6 weeks, the customers were allowed to upgrade to comparable models (in this case D70s). Brand new cameras.
    Also their 'lemon warranty' is great: If your equipment comes in for the 4th repair, you get a new one (or comparable model).

I'm following a photography class right now and i don't have a backup camera. Maaaaybe when i put on a sad face, i'll be able to get a D70s...? :D

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited February 6, 2006
    Thanks for your reply!

Nikon has acknowledged this problem on the D70 and will repair the camera for no charge even if its past the manufacturer's warranty.It might be better going through them than Best Buy.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited February 6, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Nikon has acknowledged this problem on the D70 and will repair the camera for no charge even if its past the manufacturer's warranty.It might be better going through them than Best Buy.

Thanks for the heads up!

I know they acknowledged the BGLOD problem. But i have not (yet) had this problem. So, they also acknowledge the 'broken light-meter' problem?

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited February 6, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    In what way? This is the first I've heard of anyone having trouble with it, and I keep recommending the camera to friends because it has a very good reputation amongst the people I know who shoot with it. If there's a problem area I'd like to know.

jim
    BGLOD is the most obvious common problem although I never experienced it firsthand. The thing that killed my enthusiasm for it really was the deteriorating seal around the mirror that caused contamination in my viewfinder chamber. Keep in mind that I don't mind pulling the focusing screen to remove the crud but it's a time consuming thing and aggravating thing to do every week. This problem occured after just a little over 14,000 exposures.

I judge it against my two D100 bodies. One is at close to 40,000 exposures. The other I bought used and is over 100,000 although I guess it's possible it might have had work done before I recieved it.
    edited February 6, 2006
    flyingdutchie,
    1. Good luck with BestBuy. I'm sure one way or the other they'll do the right thing by you. :D
    2. I've found that when I limit myself to one lens it usually only takes me about a day to get where I can look at a scene and guess the exposure within atleast a stop everytime. I will admit it seems easier for me with longer lenses though. My current favorite is an old Vivitar 135mm f/3.5 t-mount lens. I feel like I learned my camera alot quicker shooting this way and at the same time it's fun once you get used to it. Of course it's extremely aggravating before that. rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 6, 2006
    Thanks for the heads up!

I know they acknowledged the BGLOD problem. But i have not (yet) had this problem. So, they also acknowledge the 'broken light-meter' problem?

I would sya give them a call. I think they will give you a fix for free. If not you got Best Buy as a back-up.
    Harry
  • skamarajuskamaraju Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Same meter problem...
    Harryb wrote:
    I would sya give them a call. I think they will give you a fix for free. If not you got Best Buy as a back-up.
    here too.
    I have some nikon warranty left and also 4yr Bestbuy warranty. I described the problem to them and gave the camera to them. Camera returned with a service report that the contacts are cleaned. I don't still know if the problem with the metering board (which is supposed to be the cause for this problem) is rectified or not. Any opinions from those who got their D70 serviced? What does the service report say?
    Sushil
    "The knower of the Self crosses over all sorrow"
    edited February 6, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Nope... didn't work. I called them and i explained the service-rep exactly what happened. He never heard of a common problem concerning a faulty light-meter. He did acknowledge the BGLOD problem, but since i don't have that problem (yet), i could not go through Nikon directly (unless i pay repair costs :D)

I will go through BestBuy instead. Thanks for all your help, everyone!

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited February 6, 2006
    skamaraju wrote:
    here too.
    I have some nikon warranty left and also 4yr Bestbuy warranty. I described the problem to them and gave the camera to them. Camera returned with a service report that the contacts are cleaned. I don't still know if the problem with the metering board (which is supposed to be the cause for this problem) is rectified or not. Any opinions from those who got their D70 serviced? What does the service report say?

Best Buy service reports are very very non-informational.

I had my D70+lens (kit) serviced a year ago, because of a problem with my kit-lens (18-70mm). The problem could be felt - image in viewfinder jumping around a little bit and the using zoom ring felt weird - and after the lens was fixed, it all felt and looked better :) But the service report said nothing about it at all. Some vague remarks was all that was written down.

I got the feeling they never sent the camera (and lens) to Nikon. I think they have their own repair contract with some other camera-repair company (or do it in-house) and send the camera to Nikon only when absolutely necessary.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    You're not alone:
    Hey there,

I jus got my D70 back last month from service for the BGLOD, CHA, and freaky light meter.

Since I had also brought it in about 6 months prior to be revived after a brutal trip to death valley, they did everything for free.

But to confirm, yes I've had the faulty exposure meter problem and BGLOD that comes and goes. Nobody had ever heard of the BGLOD "coming and going" before my case, the service girl at Nikon in El Segundo almost didn't believe me but I told her to just have it looked at and they'd probably find the problem.

Your maximum bill will be about $270 or so, that's about what they charge to "revive" a dead D70.

I'm incriminating myself by saying this, but YOU may be experiencing this problem due to recently dropping your D70. If it falls and lands nicely upside down, not necessarily onto too hard a surface or from too great a height, but just a moderate tumble... This I think is what will cause the D70 to exhibit the errors yours is having.

My D70 has lasted about 60,000 shutter clicks, and has taken almost 2 years of hard abuse. Other than DOF preview being broken, I think it will last me many years to come...

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited February 7, 2006
    Hey there,

I jus got my D70 back last month from service for the BGLOD, CHA, and freaky light meter.

Since I had also brought it in about 6 months prior to be revived after a brutal trip to death valley, they did everything for free.

But to confirm, yes I've had the faulty exposure meter problem and BGLOD that comes and goes. Nobody had ever heard of the BGLOD "coming and going" before my case, the service girl at Nikon in El Segundo almost didn't believe me but I told her to just have it looked at and they'd probably find the problem.

Your maximum bill will be about $270 or so, that's about what they charge to "revive" a dead D70.

I'm incriminating myself by saying this, but YOU may be experiencing this problem due to recently dropping your D70. If it falls and lands nicely upside down, not necessarily onto too hard a surface or from too great a height, but just a moderate tumble... This I think is what will cause the D70 to exhibit the errors yours is having.

My D70 has lasted about 60,000 shutter clicks, and has taken almost 2 years of hard abuse. Other than DOF preview being broken, I think it will last me many years to come...

Take care,
    -Matt-

I brought it into BestBuy and all will be fixed for free (extended warranty). My only problem is that i don't have a backup camera.
    I'm now debating to buy a backup D100 for around $550 or a new D200 (and making my D70 the backup)..... but D200s are hard or impossible to find.

As far as i remember, i have never dropped my camera. But i may have bumped it into things (especially doors :D). If 'dropping' or bumping the camera can cause it, is the problem a loose cable or something?

Thanks for the heads up!

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    If 'dropping' or bumping the camera can cause it, is the problem a loose cable or something?

Thanks for the heads up!

My camera has definitely taken a lot of bumping around while hanging on my neck, too, so that could be it. It's probably just a circuit that comes loose with the right jarring motion.

Concerning the Best Buy warranty, that sounds like quite a good deal, that they'd fix it for free! How long does the warranty extend, and does it cost extra? I may buy from them in the future...

It depends on what kind of photography you do, but the decision between the D200 and the D100 shouldn't even be a decision. If you're looking to get a $500 range "backup", get a D50. Okay, the D50 isn't the camera for you if you truly do need the "pro-ness" of the D100 / D200, (MLU, better build) ...but I don't think that's the case since you have a "cheapo" D70 to begin with. If you're content with the capability of, and results from, your D70 then you'll be content with a D50 probably. I thought long and hard about the differences, and if I were to get a new camera right now it would be a D50 without a doubt.

Besides, by shaving $1000 off the price of your DSLR body, you're that much closer to being able to afford another lens! After all the camera is 90% lens and 10% body...

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited February 7, 2006
    I bought a D50 body for backup.
    My camera has definitely taken a lot of bumping around while hanging on my neck, too, so that could be it. It's probably just a circuit that comes loose with the right jarring motion.

Concerning the Best Buy warranty, that sounds like quite a good deal, that they'd fix it for free! How long does the warranty extend, and does it cost extra? I may buy from them in the future...

It depends on what kind of photography you do, but the decision between the D200 and the D100 shouldn't even be a decision. If you're looking to get a $500 range "backup", get a D50. Okay, the D50 isn't the camera for you if you truly do need the "pro-ness" of the D100 / D200, (MLU, better build) ...but I don't think that's the case since you have a "cheapo" D70 to begin with. If you're content with the capability of, and results from, your D70 then you'll be content with a D50 probably. I thought long and hard about the differences, and if I were to get a new camera right now it would be a D50 without a doubt.

Besides, by shaving $1000 off the price of your DSLR body, you're that much closer to being able to afford another lens! After all the camera is 90% lens and 10% body...

-Matt-
    Matthew,
    i totally agree with you and D200s are impossible to find anyway.
    Somebody else offered me to buy his used D100 for around $550. But for the same money i get a new D50 body.

So, I just bought a D50 body ($550) with a 5 years MACK warranty ($60) and a SD card. Why they ever decided to use SD cards instead of CF cards is beyond me, but ... what can you do...

Thanks!

in two billion years,
    all I can think is: