edited February 7, 2006 in People
aka "French horn player":

55309221-L.jpg

Enjoy family shooting!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    That's very nice, Nikolai. I really like the soft light and perfect exposure. Dare I say it, the skin tones look perfect.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Thanks, Sid!
    wxwax wrote:
    That's very nice, Nikolai. I really like the soft light and perfect exposure. Dare I say it, the skin tones look perfect.

The light was in fact what made me ask her to let me to take a shot (which she usually refuses, but this time I just made it:-). I rarely at home at this time of day, and she was sitting by the window practicing, and I saw it, and I could not resist...:-). So I put on my only prime (50 f/1.8) and snapped me a few shots. This was the very first one - and the best from the series, which kinda proves the point that the "gut feeling" is always right:-)

Cheers, friend!1drink.gif
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    I echo everything Sid says.. Wonderful photograph Nik.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Beautiful shot Nik. Unlike our other two friends here, I disagree on the skin tone. I can see a bit more red than I expect to see. Photoshop also says that the red values are really high. Now this is a tricky area, because a) we're ALL different, b) peoples skin is different, and c) monitors are different. So if you think the skin is accurate, cool - but otherwise, have a look here, and see for yourself :D

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1091766

Did I say this is a gorgeous photo?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Nice Prtrait Nik clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited February 6, 2006
    Thanks, Eric!
    4labs wrote:
    I echo everything Sid says.. Wonderful photograph Nik.
    Appreciate your stopping by!thumb.gif
    edited February 6, 2006
    Andy,
    Andy wrote:
    Beautiful shot Nik. Unlike our other two friends here, I disagree on the skin tone. I can see a bit more red than I expect to see. Photoshop also says that the red values are really high. Now this is a tricky area, because a) we're ALL different, b) peoples skin is different, and c) monitors are different. So if you think the skin is accurate, cool - but otherwise, have a look here, and see for yourself :D

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1091766

Did I say this is a gorgeous photo?

Thank you for your comments!
    I agree, I may need to work on a skin if I decide to print it. This version is a "quickie", just few touchups here an there, didn't even touch the colors.
    Appreciate the feedback!thumb.gif
    edited February 6, 2006
    Awais,
    Nice Prtrait Nik clap.gif

Thanks, man, good to hear from you!thumb.gif
    edited February 6, 2006
    Hey Andy
    Had a little more time to work on it tonight.

Whaddayasay?

55461099-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!thumb.gif
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    I'll admit I far prefer the original one -- the new one seems very green to me ne_nau.gif
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    The second shot looks better to me. I did my own correction, but I need an original of Nik's edit in order to compare fairly.

I formed a theory of what is going on here. The window light is nice but some indoor artificial light is mixing and resulting in the slightly magenta cast. You want to be careful in fixing this becaues the light around the window is fine. I used changed only the yellow side of the B curve and liked the result. Here is that curve. You want to be careful to keep those rosy cheeks, especially blowing that horn! Get some more yellow into the face, but let the A value go a little above the B value in the cheeks.

55565363-L.jpg

[IMGL]http://rutt.smugmug.com/photos/55564835-S.jpg[/IMGL]
    If not now, when?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Then I took a page from Edgework's book and added 8% cyan to the reds with selective color. Look a little better to me:

55566843-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited February 7, 2006
    Thanks, John!
    rutt wrote:
    Then I took a page from Edgework's book and added 8% cyan to the reds with selective color. Look a little better to me..
    I *do* appreciate the time and effort!bowdown.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I dunno Rutt.. it looks too red, still. Maybe even redder (?) than the original. A simple curves adjustement dropping the reds a tad, before it turned too cyan made it look good.