Any Superfast Lens Users Here?

mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Cameras
Just curious and also wanting to share with those that have never looked at certain types of lenses as options. The superfast lenses I refer to are old industrial/ medical imaging lenses pressed into service for high speed macro photography. Among many, Bjorn Rorslett seems to be considered the guru of this type of photography. His article http://www.naturfotograf.com/need_speed00.html seems to have been the thing that inspired alot of people to try this out. It was certainly the thing that finally inspired me.

Please keep in mind that although Bjorn is a Nikon shooter, what he wrote would apply to any DSLR user that could use lenses that don't communicate with the body. Basically if your camera can utilize an old t-mount lens then you can adapt one of these old lenses. On most Nikon DSLR's you lose the ability to meter in-camera. Frankly I don't find this a real hardship when doing macro type photography considering the pace I work and considering the fact that the histogram is the preferred tool for me in many type of high contrast scenes. Overtime it's also taught me to rely less and less on my own cameras meter. My photos have noticeably (to me atleast) gotten better for it.

I had wrote a short first day impression view on the first one I ever recieved. If interested you can view it here (WARNING BEFORE YOU CLICK ON THE NEXT LINK/ some of the images in that gallery may not be appropriate for viewing by children or in a workplace environment)...
http://mynakedsoda.smugmug.com/gallery/974877/1

The highlights, the lens itself is a Kowa 77mm f/1.1 Macro. It's definitely a big piece of glass but nowhere near the size of some of my other macro lenses...
44941315-M.jpg

One note about that. Be careful about what lenses you buy. Some of these old CRT/ X-ray lenses can be quite large. Some large enough to be almost impossible to adapt to a DSLR or SLR.

Also keep in mind that most of these are fixed apeture and fixed focus. The reproduction ratio you'll achieve will depend on your mounting and focal length for the most part. With these the longer the focal length, the greater the reproduction range with a few exceptions.

The images aren't for everyone but if your looking for that "unreal" look without doing heavy post, want to do handheld macro in low light, or want something to get those creative juices flowing occasionally then something like this may just be the ticket you need.

A couple of images from my first day with this lens.
44941320-M.jpg

45044735-M.jpg

Comments

• mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Another lens I wrote about (first day impressions) is the JML Optical 56mm f/1.2. You can read some about it here...
    http://mynakedsoda.smugmug.com/gallery/1051721

For those that aren't familiar with the old Nikor CRT or Oscilliscope lenses, Bjorn has some interesting descriptions of a few on his web site here... http://www.naturfotograf.com/ and you can also find some interesting information on them here... http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/index.html. Be careful which of these spurs lens lust in you if any. Some are quite collectible and command healthy premiums now. The 85mm f/1.0 Repro Nikkor for example is one that I saw a copy of sell on eBay recently for $3750USD!

Most of these of course use the long M39 Leica thread so are adaptaple to any DSLR using a combination of a M42 adapter then a M42 (Pentax) to M39 (Leica) adapter.

I'd also like to note that when discussing these lenses there are the Kowa's, Nikor's, Rodenstocks, and even Canon industrial lenses. Oddly enough I've found no information online about these. They are certainly an interesting option seeing as how they can often be bought so cheap and are stunning optical performers. I recently picked up a Canon 77mm f/1.1 for $20 off of eBay. This one...
    48099908-M.jpg
    is a Canon 75mm f/1.3 Right Angle View lens I picked up for $24. As you can see it's even got an adjustable apeture and will stop down to f/5.6. Even more interesting is the fact that it has the apeture blades are exposed being in front of the frontmost element.
    48099916-M.jpg

Being a t-mount affair it is easy to adapt to a Nikon or any other DSLR.
    edited February 6, 2006
    Back to the JML though, it has a certain contrast, a certain bite, that I don't find with my newer Nikon macro lenses. This one if I remember correctly was near wide open with it.
    54425046-M.jpg

This image also if I remember correctly.
    50113062-M.jpg

As you can see I love doing macro at wide apetures. Two of my current macros are a Nikon 60mm 2.8D Micro and a Nikon 120mm f/4.5 from the Fun Fun Lens Kit they used to sell in Japan. I really want something that can eliminate the background better so my next purchase will probably be a Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 Macro.

If all your macro consists of f/16 and razor sharp detail across the frame then this proably isn't the thing for you. For those looking for something a little different then this just might be the thing. :):
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Very intersting...thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

Lee
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    thumb.gif great info, cool stuff!
    edited February 6, 2006
    lee and Andy...
    Thanks. I'm glad you both enjoyed it. :D
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Looks like this could be a lot of fun.. and possibly addicting.:D
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    MNS... Good finds there in EBay. You may also want to look into some of Nikkors ol'school lenses. Like the 105/2.5 or the 55/2.8. For that matter, I've managed to collect a few of um. Here's my list of MF glass:
    FM2n - 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 55/2.8 Micro, 105/2.5 (x2), 135/2.8, SB22
    0.jpg

And, as for the 105/2.5... Here's it is on a D100.
    3.jpg
    0.jpg

And, 100% crop of the above shot...
    2.jpg
  • graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Look at the following link, it is the first one i've ever seen on ebay. Now this lens definately qualifies as superfast, given its focal length!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-FAST-rare-ZOOMATAR-180mm-f1-3-lens-YES-F1-3_W0QQitemZ7587902442QQcategoryZ48556QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Samples at f/1.3 are at the bottom of the page.
    edited February 8, 2006
    Seymore, I agree. You can find some real optical gems in the older Nikon MF line. I've got a few (including the Nikon 55 2.8 you mention) and have plans to pick up a few others before the month is up. Honestly though my favorites are my old t-mount lenses with preset apeture. I've even thought about buying some Leica's or Voigtlanders in M39 mount just because of how much more I like them in use. It is amazing the deals you can find in old lenses. I recently picked up a couple of old Vivitar 135mm f/3.5's in t-mount for $5 and $10. Both have perfect optics. One is physically new still.
    47702047-M.jpg

It's an amazing performer and is sharper than I need even wide open.
    47791947-M.jpg
    edited February 8, 2006
    Look at the following link, it is the first one i've ever seen on ebay. Now this lens definately qualifies as superfast, given its focal length!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-FAST-rare-ZOOMATAR-180mm-f1-3-lens-YES-F1-3_W0QQitemZ7587902442QQcategoryZ48556QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Samples at f/1.3 are at the bottom of the page.
    Great find!thumb.gif

I've read about that one on the Cameraquest web site I think but have never seen one on eBay before. For what it is it seems a fair price.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    This is some very cool stuff!

Thanks for the post.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?