Options

FlashPoint 1820, first tests

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
edited February 6, 2006 in Technique
The first, semi-serious, shot from the new FlashPoint 1820s.

The setup: bedroom, the only room I could setup fairly quickly, and depend on it not being disturbed.

The camera: Canon dRebel XT, with a Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 lens, set at 50mm and f11.

Three flashes:

One FlashPoint 1820 with softbox, 24"x36", above and in front of the subject (me), set at its' lowest power.

One FlashPoint 1820 with umbrella, reflected (w/black cover), just behind the camera, on the side opposite the softbox and a bit higher than the lens, power at 1/4.

One Vivitar 285 flash, set on the window sill behind the subject and behind the sheer curtain, but in front of a window blind. Interestingly, this light also added a little hair-light by bouncing off the ceiling.

All contributing flashes were slaved, triggered by a hot-shoe flash on the camera, set at 1/128 power (so it really didn't contribute any light to the shot.)

What do you think of the light ratio, measured as 2:1?

Thanks,

ziggy53
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Hey, Ziggy,

I moved your thread from The Whipping Post to Technique. What you're asking is pretty much a technical question, a how-to, a what technique is best kind of thing, and I think you'll get a much better response here than you would in the WP, which is not so much about the technical.

That's a pretty long run-on sentence. Hope it makes sense to you. Let me know if you have any concerns. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    Thanks David,

I appreciate all the help I can get.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Looks good, I think you'd see an even better shot if you'd move you'd be at an gle to the lens.

Like at the Doctor's: "turn your head and cough..." :D
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2006
    Andy,

I agree.

This was solo on self-timer. I had just enough time to jump back on the bed, check my tie, shirt and coat, before the timer set off the camera.

I'll have some more stuff to show next week, with 'purtier folks than me.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53