My computer is on it's last breath....

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
and I want a Mac but cant afford it right now ( ill wait about 6 months ) .... so in the mean time I can come up with this system: Dell XPS 400 pentium D 820 Dual Core (2.8 / 800 ), 2GB DDR2 Sdram (533), 256 MB PCI Express x16 nVidia Geforce 6800, yadda yadda etc, 16X DVD and 48X CD-RW ( all the rest is standard stuff and I already have the software). Im paying $1,000.00

Is this good for digital photography? What changes if any would you make to the system?

thanx In advance,
troy

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited February 6, 2006
    It should do OK, especially the 2GB RAM part. And it should also be able to run Windows Vista, if you so choose. You didn't mention what the HD sizes were. I finally went with a cheap machine too, but with lots and lots of storage. For photo work, the video cards only need to be mediocre.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Yeah, unless you're plannin on playing 3D games then othe video card is overkill and you'd be better off using the difference to up the storage.

Also whatever "extra" hard drives you get (it's nice to have at least 2 in the system) they will work or can be used in your Mac should you ever get one.

Also, you'll be quite please with the performance of that PC in PS if what you are replacing is more than a year old.thumb.gif

The dual core will run very, very nicely in PS and Premiere (if you have that).

Gene
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Troy
    I am in the same boat as you...I haven't had time to look yet but you might want to check here
    These are the ones on the NAPP links to.
    The XPS might be over kill ne_nau.gif more for gaming...not the same as photography
    Hope some of our computer experts chime in on this.

Fred
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Troy
    I am in the same boat as you...I haven't had time to look yet but you might want to check here
    These are the ones on the NAPP links to.
    The XPS might be over kill ne_nau.gif more for gaming...not the same as photography
    Hope some of our computer experts chime in on this.

Fred

well, my thinking was, still is - that I'll be able to sell this system in 6 Mos to a gamer with out a huge loss..............

troy
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    well, my thinking was, still is - that I'll be able to sell this system in 6 Mos to a gamer with out a huge loss..............

troy

Hmmm, don't think so. PCs lose value faster than a Yugo.

In 6 months the video card in that system (which is already 2-3 generations old) will not play the latest and greatest games. Which is what "gamers" want to do.

In 6 months you'll be lucky to get half your money back:(:

So, I'd still recommend that system sans the video card in exchange for a faster processor or better yet as much hard drive space you want to spend for.

Gene