Some more lens comparisons...

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited February 7, 2006 in Cameras
So the other day I was talking with DanielB about wanting to get the 17-40L for the shootout (per previous posts Im choosing a wider angle lens) he suggested the 10-22mm lens. My question now becomes which one is better ? :scratch
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    20 views and not a single idea and/or comment........:cry
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    20 views and not a single idea and/or comment........:cry

I have the 17-40L and like it although I haven't used it that much. It and the 10-22 scored an 8.9 and 9.0 respectively on fredmiranda.com so from that standpoint there doesn't appear to be a clear winner here. Pricewise there also doesn't appear to be a lot of difference there either.

I can't speak about the 10-22, but if I were looking around and comparing those lenses I'd also be thinking about the crop factor of the camera and what field of view I would be wanting to get.

Not sure if that helps! ne_nau.gif

Jack
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    cwphotos wrote:
    So the other day I was talking with DanielB about wanting to get the 17-40L for the shootout (per previous posts Im choosing a wider angle lens) he suggested the 10-22mm lens. My question now becomes which one is better ? headscratch.gif

Different focal ranges... only 5mm of overlap. It depends on what kind of FOV you need.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    "Better" doesn't really apply to this discusssion. They're different. The 10-22 would be useful with your camera, given its crop factor. But I don't believe its optics are considered to be as good as those in the 17-40, which I have seen used as the wide angle of choice for a top notch landscape photographer. But he was using a full frame camera.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au