Sony DSC-P100 overexposures

GregInBoulderGregInBoulder Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 8, 2006 in Cameras
nOOb post here. I know some of the shooters from another site and thought I'd see if anyone can help. Got the above camera for a gift a few weeks ago. My third digital. I like the features, etc. but am having a hard time controlling the exposure, even on full auto. If anyone has this model and has some hints I would be most grateful.

GIB

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Greg, you have any shots you can show us that illustrate the problem you're having?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • GregInBoulderGregInBoulder Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Greg, you have any shots you can show us that illustrate the problem you're having?

I do. Give me a while to upload and I'll post them.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    I do. Give me a while to upload and I'll post them.
    thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • GregInBoulderGregInBoulder Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    Picture examples
    These are just throw aways but are a mix of indoor, outdoor, with auto flash and with flash suppressed.

55518792-M.jpg

Outdoors (duh), full auto. Bright sunny day.

55518794-M.jpg

Indoors, halogen light above, flash turned off.

55518793-M.jpg

Indoors, flash on, auto setting.

55518795-M.jpg

Indoors, flash suppressed, camera tries to really slow the shutter to compensate, hence blur. Plenty of ambient light. ???
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Some guesses
    #1: Maybe Spot Metering is on? Looks possibly like the camera was trying to properly expose the face and everything else got blown out.

#2: Looks to me like the flash fired - too close and with too much power.

#3: Do you have a P mode in addition to the Auto mode? Can you turn the flash intensity down (something like a lightning bolt- icon)?

#4: Again, might be the metering throwing off the settings. Dark in the middle, bright on the edges.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I would first check your settings. Is the exposure compensation set to +2 or something close? Check the metering, set to matrix metering or similar if not there already.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I would first check your settings. Is the exposure compensation set to +2 or something close? Check the metering, set to matrix metering or similar if not there already.

Also, check that your flash mode isn't "SL (flash symbol)". (Slow shutter with flash)

I get that a lot at work. Sony should have made that mode harder to activate, and more obvious on the screen.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2