minnesota abandoned farms & barns

livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
edited August 17, 2010 in Landscapes
i have many, but won't put them all up at once.......i am surprised when i am barn hunting how many places i actually see that are totally abandoned. it really makes you wonder why someone would just up and leave their place....

55467363-L.jpg

55466872-L.jpg

55468276-L.jpg

55468066-L.jpg

more later, thanks for looking
laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff

Comments

• luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Maybe they left because it's cold and draughty without windows and doors rolleyes1.gif
    Nice series and definitely a goldmine for any photographer looking for somewhere to shoot heaps of pictures.

One other thing, you call yourself "livinginoz" yet you are in the US? Am I missing something here that is maybe obvious to those north of the Equator.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Laurie
    Nice set love the rock work in the first one
    Lots of abandone farms here in Ky too...farming is a hard life

Thanks
    Fred
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    luckydog wrote:
    Maybe they left because it's cold and draughty without windows and doors rolleyes1.gif
    Nice series and definitely a goldmine for any photographer looking for somewhere to shoot heaps of pictures.

One other thing, you call yourself "livinginoz" yet you are in the US? Am I missing something here that is maybe obvious to those north of the Equator.

ok, here's the story.......Oz is the name of my horse, the one shown in my avatar. and since i kind of live in my own little world..........

my stuff
    edited February 7, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Laurie
    Nice set love the rock work in the first one
    Lots of abandone farms here in Ky too...farming is a hard life

Thanks
    Fred

thanks, fred, i was really drawn to the first one. i have some inside shots i could post too which i find interesting, since the inside walls are the same rock...and it was snowing that day, too, which made it even more desolate. i will post some more of them as i have time.......

my stuff
  • germaine_sbagermaine_sba Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I really like the window with one missing pane. nod.gif
    Lord, keep my words sweet. Someday, I may have to eat them.
    http://www.germaine.smugmug.com
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I like the light and shadows in the second one. Abandoned stuff can be fun.thumb.gif
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I really like the window with one missing pane. nod.gif
    Same here.....great shot!
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I think I would have liked the third shot better if you have zoomed in more closely on the window. I particularly like the second shot.

My in-laws live in about three blocks from the Ohio river. We drive over there a couple times a year, and I have to say that it's not difficult to find barns like the one in your fourth shot. Thing is, many of them are still in use, at least when it's time to dry the tobacco.

Have you stuck your camera in through the window and taken any interior shots?
    edited February 7, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    I think I would have liked the third shot better if you have zoomed in more closely on the window. I particularly like the second shot.

My in-laws live in about three blocks from the Ohio river. We drive over there a couple times a year, and I have to say that it's not difficult to find barns like the one in your fourth shot. Thing is, many of them are still in use, at least when it's time to dry the tobacco.

Have you stuck your camera in through the window and taken any interior shots?

heck, yes. i will go into them if i can. one time i was shooting at a place with a very crumbling barn, with a house on the site, also. i often will enter the house, if it looks safe. i went into this one, and as i started up the stairs, i heard footsteps, sounding like someone had just gotten up. as i scrambled to get out the door, it registered that the bottle and glass of liquor on the counter were fresh.......i was in the car and out of there quicker than you can say bye bye.....

my stuff
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    re
    Beautiful shots OZ.... Are any for sale?...lol I love the first one and the last one... so lonley and old.. pretty powerfull emotions from these guys. great place to film a horror / slasher flick!
    -zacker-
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited February 8, 2006
    zacker wrote:
    Beautiful shots OZ.... Are any for sale?...lol I love the first one and the last one... so lonley and old.. pretty powerfull emotions from these guys. great place to film a horror / slasher flick!
    -zacker-

yes, they are for sale, however i haven't set up my smugmug account to do that yet. i am not sure how large they could go, since they were taken with a 3MP camera. i will try to set it up tonight.....

thanks

my stuff
  • GuppyGuppy Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Nice photo's.clap.gifclap.gif
    re
    livinginoz wrote:
    yes, they are for sale, however i haven't set up my smugmug account to do that yet. i am not sure how large they could go, since they were taken with a 3MP camera. i will try to set it up tonight.....

thanks

Im sorry, i mislead you.. I ment are the houses for sale? A little "elbow grease" and they'd be really cool.
    -zacker-

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
    edited February 8, 2006
    zacker wrote:
    Im sorry, i mislead you.. I ment are the houses for sale? A little "elbow grease" and they'd be really cool.
    -zacker-

ya know, it kind of crossed my mind that's what you meant.....i don't think they make industrial strength elbow grease that's tough enough for those spots.rolleyes1.gif

my stuff
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Re
    id love to just dissapear into the woods with my camera and just shoot all day and edit all night...but, im sure i couldnt get a good hi speed internet line out there...lol

believe me, my house didnt look that much better when i bought it back in 93.. although, its still not done but it has come along way since then. of course, my mortgage has since doubled from all the $$$ i borrowed to fix it up!
    oh well, at least its a home.
    -zacker-

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Old barns are one of my favorite subjects to photograph, and we have our share of 'em, especially if you go out to Eastern Washington. These images of yours are wonderful with subtle tones and nice comps. Good job! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • mrsschulermrsschuler Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2010
    barns in maple grove
    do you know of any great places near the maple grove, brooklyn park area? Barns that is for photography . .