Options

help - trying to decide which ad to use...

technocrafttechnocraft Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Weddings
My original intention for this ad was to include a picture of myself because only one other wedding photographer advertising in this magazine did that - and I thought it would stick out nicely. I thought it gave the ad a more intimate, engaging feel.

55472633-L.jpg

Then, as I was trying to select the best images for the layout, something where they all worked together, I dropped this image over the background and pow. It's got a great feel, you can see both their rings even and they're kissing. woot! But it feels more formal I guess.

55472615-L.jpg

Any thoughts? Deadline is soon, just not sure which way to go...
-Tony
http://images.tonyschreiber.com
(technocraft.smugmug.com)

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Def #2, great background...the shot with yourself in it looks odd. Your stance looks akward to me.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited February 7, 2006
    Second what Gus just said. They don't need to see you, but they do need to see your work. The three inset photos placement seems odd to me. Almost makes the background bride looks topless. Perhaps stagger the insets at an angle?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I agree with #2 too :):
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    3 for the background. Interesting. Thanks.
    -Tony
  • Options
    MotoKatMotoKat Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I also like the second one better.
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Unlike everyone else, I like the first one better, it is very classy. I agree that you stance looks a little unnatural, if you fixed that, you would have a winner.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited February 7, 2006
    rjpat wrote:
    Unlike everyone else, I like the first one better, it is very classy. I agree that you stance looks a little unnatural, if you fixed that, you would have a winner.

15524779-Ti.gif I find the first one cleaner. Just to make your choice even harder, I suggest that you replace the rightmost pic with a suitably scaled version of the pic you used in the background of #2. I like that pic a lot And yeah, the stance is a bit weird.

Cheers,
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 7, 2006
    Tony, while I favor #2 I actually like both and see that each has its place in appropriate placements in magazines.

I love your logo; simple, clean, creative; effective!

I would concentrate on the three framed photos. I'll guess your intent was to show variety but I think visual confusion is the result. Choose 3 images that are similar in weight and all processed the same (ie: BW on a monotone or color BG) for a more elegant look.

May I suggest you rethink the phrase "or Wherever"? I think it has a negative connotation.

Perhaps... "serving South Florida - and beyond"
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    rjpat wrote:

i think if you make it more apparent that you are learning on the R, people will see what i think you are trying to accomplish :):
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    i think if you make it more apparent that you are learning on the R, people will see what i think you are trying to accomplish :):

I agree 100% with what Laurie said. I like you down in the corner and the casual leaning pose, as long as it looks like you are leaning on something. But hey what do I know I'm a female:D
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Hi,technocraft
    I like the add with the background the best.clap.gif
    I also like the change suggested in the last part of the add.
    Serving South Florida and Beyond...

Good Luck,
    Chuck
    55472615-L.jpg

Any thoughts? Deadline is soon, just not sure which way to go...[/quote]
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I'm in with the in crowd.... #2.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

I think you have some excellent elements, but they don't seem to work together to enhance each other, and become greater than the individual elements.

I think your name / logo is great. The photos are very nice and show your capabilities.

I have mixed feelings about your photo. When I first saw it struck me as maybe a guy trying to be too cool. I think the wedding photographer, with the exception of the formal shots, should be invisible. In order to get those candid shots, you don't want the guests to pay any attention to you.

Then I look at it again and think, (if straightened) It shows a well dressed very presentable guy.

guy.

Take a break, and look at it in the morning.

Good luck,

I know it will come out well.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments. They haven't helped at all! ;)

Except the one on my logo - thank you!!

I made a few changes. While I like having my picture in the ad - in fact that idea was what got this layout started - I wasn't happy with the expression and pose. Not enough smiling, awkward lean. But Sam's comment was exactly what I was going for, an image that made you feel comfortable with the guy.

I lvoe that background image, but I also liked the white-space of the other - so I tried this combination. I think it works in both areas, enough room, but still gets that image across and now your eye isn't torn between the top left and bottom right, it flows better.

I redid the first small image and dropped the "or wherever". It's what I want to say, but the negative connotation is there, gives wrong impression. Since this is going in a Florida magazine, I figured it was redundant anyway.

55569291-L.jpg
    -Tony
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    I like the first one's concept. Looks like a movie poster--engaging. But like
    others, I would suggest a change to the pose you're in.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?