Which macro?

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Cameras
Three to choose from;
1. Canon 100 f/2.8
2. Sigma 105 EX APO f/2.8
3. Tamron 90 Di f/2.8

I've seen results from both the Canon and the Sigma and they seem to be pretty neck in neck except for the fact the Sigma can give you a better working distance then the Canon does.

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    I don't have any of them, but after some research, I'm drawn more towards the Canon or the Sigma 150, as they are internal focusing rather than having the lens stick out like an appendage. The Sigma would obviously have more working range. However, my only macro experience is with my Sony 717, so it's not really a fair comparison.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    I don't have any of them, but after some research, I'm drawn more towards the Canon or the Sigma 150, as they are internal focusing rather than having the lens stick out like an appendage. The Sigma would obviously have more working range..

15524779-Ti.gif also the canon would have better re-sale value if you wanted something else in the futurethumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    canon efs-60mm macro
    Three to choose from;
    1. Canon 100 f/2.8
    3. Tamron 90 Di f/2.8

I've seen results from both the Canon and the Sigma and they seem to be pretty neck in neck except for the fact the Sigma can give you a better working distance then the Canon does.

if you have a crop camera don't overlook the efs-60 mm macro- i have one and it gives me sufficient working distance,5X magnification up close,performs ok at infinity(a lot of macros don't),is light,reasonably solid construction and very sharp!the manual focussing ring works well too.

i believe that it is sharper than the ones you mentioned but that is open to debate and needs side by side comparison shots to determine.

if you want to use a macro lens for portraiture its the ideal focal length-remember that a 105mm on a crop camera may have you squashed up against walls in order to get a pleasing composition.its therefore a very handy 'walk around' lens.

i also suspect that ,as a dedicated canon lens,that it will hold its value better than the third party lenses,not that I am planning to sell.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Am I missing something here? How does a 105mm give you any signifigant added range than a 100mm?

I have the 100mm and love it, Lord V uses the Sigma 105 and gets spectacular results. I think both are great lenses and you will not be disappointed with either. I don't have any experience with the Tamron.

You may also want to check the [thread=25164]Hall of Wisdom Macro Thread[/thread] if you haven't already.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    I don't have any of them, but after some research, I'm drawn more towards the Canon or the Sigma 150, as they are internal focusing rather than having the lens stick out like an appendage. The Sigma would obviously have more working range. However, my only macro experience is with my Sony 717, so it's not really a fair comparison.

From what I'vve seen, only the Canon has internal focusing. I've seen the Sigma as well as the Tamron and both stick out when focusing up close.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    if you have a crop camera don't overlook the efs-60 mm macro- i have one and it gives me sufficient working distance,5X magnification up close,performs ok at infinity(a lot of macros don't),is light,reasonably solid construction and very sharp!the manual focussing ring works well too.

What is the working distance of the efs-60? How about the 100?
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I have the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro and really like it. Does double duty as a macro and a portrait lens. No complaints.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited February 8, 2006
    working distance
    googled this-

closest focussing distance without tubes (remember, focussing distance on the barrel usually includes both lens-image and lens-subject distance, but at "normal" distances, i approaches f, so just subtracting focal length from marked distance will usually be close enough) then add the tube's length on to compute the new d.

And fm comments
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=293&cpage=2&sort=&perpage=15&cat=2

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited February 8, 2006
    woop heres full formula-its about 4 inches and another link

shay is your 100mm on a full frame or crop camera?

The formula's 1/f = 1/i + 1/d and M=i/d where f=lens focal length, i= lens-image distance, d=lens-subject distance, and M = magnification. You'll have to compute i from the lens' marked closest focussing distance without tubes (remember, focussing distance on the barrel usually includes both lens-image and lens-subject distance, but at "normal" distances, i approaches f, so just subtracting focal length from marked distance will usually be close enough) then add the tube's length on to compute the new d.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1029&message=13699707&changemode=1

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    It has been used on 1.6x cameras (30D, 10D, 20D)
    gtc wrote:
    shay is your 100mm on a full frame or crop camera?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Three to choose from;
    1. Canon 100 f/2.8
    3. Tamron 90 Di f/2.8

Keep in mind that I don't own any of these but from the samples I've seen the Tamron has the best bokeh of all. It gives an almost magical contrast that I just don't generally see from samples of the other two.
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Thanks guys, as I've seen both the Canon 100 and the Sigma 105 seem to be pretty good. Haven't done much research on the Tamron yet but I plan to.
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24679

I've handled the Tamron 90 since then... I like how it feels. I prefer the Tamron's BOKEH (from online images) and the one-step MF feature. The lense does extend quite a bit when focusing down to 1:1... About 3 inches, in fact. Depending on the type of Macro work you do, that may or may not be important.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    From what I'vve seen, only the Canon has internal focusing. I've seen the Sigma as well as the Tamron and both stick out when focusing up close.
    When I wrote Sigma 150 it wasn't a typo. It has internal focusing, the 105 doesn't.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Sorry, I read it worng. My fault.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.