Sigma 17-70 Samples

SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited February 8, 2006 in Cameras
Japanese site via babbelfish: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2fcda%2flens%2f2006%2f02%2f03%2f3129.html

What do you think? It looks like an interesting lense...

Edit: Link is from some guy on the Dpreview pentax forum.

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I loved mine, just loved it and have a gazillion samples of photos around. However, I am not an expert, technical problems are due to me not the lens.

I just absolutely loved it!

I now have the 16-35L, Canon, and I expect that it will be even better.

As a note, the 16-35 is much heavier. So for ease of carrying......... but then again it is an f2.8, so for low light...........it costs twice as much or more, so for effect on bank acct..............

But I did love the 17-40. Other than birding, it was my main lens, from portraits to landscapes.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    Too bad it's not a fixed aperture. If it was, I'd be wishing it was just as good as the 18-50/2.8, only with an even bigger focal range.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I want to replace my Canon 28-135IS. I went hiking a couple of months ago and slipped on a rock, and the lens took most of the impact... my 20D is perfectly fine, but I think I damaged the IS mechanism in the lens.

Anyway, all the rest of my lenses are Sigma EXes, and I love them all (12-24, 100-300, 150 Macro). I'd love to match them with a normal range Sigma EX, but Sigma has yet to put HSM in a lens in this range for some mysterious reason, and I refuse to purchase one of their "double clutch" focussing lenses.

They need to match the Canon 24-105/4, maybe even an f/2.8 version, but it MUST have HSM before I'll buy it.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    I want to replace my Canon 28-135IS. I went hiking a couple of months ago and slipped on a rock, and the lens took most of the impact... my 20D is perfectly fine, but I think I damaged the IS mechanism in the lens.

Anyway, all the rest of my lenses are Sigma EXes, and I love them all (12-24, 100-300, 150 Macro). I'd love to match them with a normal range Sigma EX, but Sigma has yet to put HSM in a lens in this range for some mysterious reason, and I refuse to purchase one of their "double clutch" focussing lenses.

They need to match the Canon 24-105/4, maybe even an f/2.8 version, but it MUST have HSM before I'll buy it.
    Have you tried the 18-50? Its sweet, very sweet.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 8, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Have you tried the 18-50? Its sweet, very sweet.

I have not. I use MF a lot, and without HSM, it's a no-go.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    I have not. I use MF a lot, and without HSM, it's a no-go.
    Either you mean you use AF a lot, and without HSM, it's a no-go

OR

Without Canon USM (Ring-type) it's a no go. Unfortunately sigma doesn't offer a "true" high-speed way of switching from MF to AF. Their clutch on the 24-70 never really worked properly for me, and it's one of the reasons I opted to go for the Tamron version of the lens with the HSM focus motor.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited February 8, 2006
    I mean that I touch up AF with MF a lot. AF doesn't always choose the correct target, and I often find it faster to touch up with MF instead of re-assigning AF to a single point (but I do choose the latter with some regularity as well).

We agree that the double-clutch mechanism, well, it sucks. I had a 20/1.8 for a short time, but I didn't like the AF/MF transition.