Nikon or Canon Pt.2

nitinhanitinha Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited February 8, 2006 in Cameras
Oh geez. I have a headache from trying to figure out what camera to get. I have people telling me to get Nikon and the other half telling me to get a Canon.

I was going to purchase the Nikon D50 but i realized it's such a crappy camera for a person like me that wants to pursue in photography seriously. The features seemed like a family camera.

Is it true that Canon's are known to be the best digital camera brand out there?

Damn, I want to purchase a camera already. :cry

Comments

• RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    nitinha wrote:
    Oh geez. I have a headache from trying to figure out what camera to get. I have people telling me to get Nikon and the other half telling me to get a Canon.

I was going to purchase the Nikon D50 but i realized it's such a crappy camera for a person like me that wants to pursue in photography seriously. The features seemed like a family camera.

Is it true that Canon's are known to be the best digital camera brand out there?

You will do well with either brand. I'm a Canon fan but thats because I own one. I've seen fantastic images from either brand, as well as some of the other brands out there. You might try flipping a coin, thats probably the most unbiased way to choose :D
  • GAUG3GAUG3 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Kind of like which is better? Coke or Pepsi. Miller Light or Coors Light

Have you test drove any of the ones you are considering? That may help in your quest to fine one that YOU would be happy with.

Oh by the way... Pepsi and the Silver Bullet tastes better.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Its this easy...go back to the other thread & look at the Canon high ISO stuff & listen to the crickets chirping from the nikon camp.
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    I'm a Nikon shooter but I personally don't buy into the Nikon vs. Canon thing. They both take great pix and have great lenses. Sometimes a body, price or lens selection will just cause you to lean a certain way...once you're in a camp it's a pain getting out.

Keep price in mind tho. Canon has no current competition for the D50 for price and I'm a personal believer that you get ALOT of slr for the D50. If you choose Nikon you can always start with a D50 and put money towards what's really important, good lens selection. You can (and likely will) upgrade the body anytime but putting less money into a starter SLR makes more sense to me. Don't let cost dictate you into a camp that you'll regret but I personally don't see regretting going with either Nikon or Canon. Bottom line...a good lens is really key because any Nikon/Canon slr body is going to produce for you and unless you go with the very top of the line you likely aren't close to outgrowing any of the lower end models.
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    nitinha wrote:

I agree with you that the d50 seems a little "light." The d70 seems like a lot more camera for just a little more money.

Then again, if you can pony up the buck$, the I would really recommend going for a canon 20d or a nikon d200. I bought the 20d as my first DSLR because of the extra features, speed, and metal body. At that time the d200 wasn't available, or I might have gone that way (although If you bring that up on the nikon vs. canon thread I will disavow that coment!)

I don't really know if the d200 is that much better a camera than the 20d, or even if its better at all. Since I don't have one I have no compelling reason to find out. But pick the two up at a store, and see which one feels the best.

But do it now, and stop wasting opportunities:D!
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    nitinha wrote:

Short answer: No

If you already have lenses of some brand, stay with that brand unless you're willing to give up or sell your old lenses. If not,

Go to a camera shop.
    Ask to hold both brands (and types) of cameras with some default lens and try them out. Feel how they handle. Check your budget.

Both Canon and Nikon have great cameras. Each has their own plusses and minusses, but overall they both make great cameras.

Even the D50 is not a crappy camera if you just start out. When you're a beginner, you don't need the 'best' of the 'best'. A lot of Formula One (Indy 500 maybe too) racers started out with go-karts.:D

In my case, for example, i was tempted by either the Rebel 300, D70 or 20D. The Rebel felt too light, the 20D was just a little bit too expensive, so i went for the D70.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    You're getting too tied up in this: asking which is better is futile. There are loads of people that'll tell you opposite answers. What does that mean? We all have our prejudices; anyone who tells you to favor one over another is just expressing that prejudice.

The best advice in this thread has been repeated several times: go and try out the cameras in the store. Spend some quality time with them, and find the one that feels right to you. What to do will then become obvious to you.

Good luck!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    How about this. I'm auditing a photography course at MIT. It's a requirement for the course to have a dSLR. Yesterday, the professor said:
    Buy the cheapest body. It won't matter. Get a f/1.8 50mm prime. Don't pay more than $1k for lens + body. Nikon, Canon, no matter.

I'm paraphrasing a little, but it was almost like this on his slides. There we were in the Gates building amid the glory of MIT's incredible physical and intellectual plant with all that great phototech history (Land, Edgerton, etc.) The (parents of the) actual students in this class are paying the big bucks to be there. This guy can't use Photoshop because it doesn't implement the algorithms he needs for his research. And this is what he said. So, it's settled.
    If not now, when?
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    chuckice wrote:
    I'm a Nikon shooter but I personally don't buy into the Nikon vs. Canon thing. They both take great pix and have great lenses. Sometimes a body, price or lens selection will just cause you to lean a certain way...once you're in a camp it's a pain getting out.

Keep price in mind tho. Canon has no current competition for the D50 for price and I'm a personal believer that you get ALOT of slr for the D50. If you choose Nikon you can always start with a D50 and put money towards what's really important, good lens selection. You can (and likely will) upgrade the body anytime but putting less money into a starter SLR makes more sense to me. Don't let cost dictate you into a camp that you'll regret but I personally don't see regretting going with either Nikon or Canon. Bottom line...a good lens is really key because any Nikon/Canon slr body is going to produce for you and unless you go with the very top of the line you likely aren't close to outgrowing any of the lower end models.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Patience will be rewarded
    nitinha wrote:
    Damn, I want to purchase a camera already.
    There will be a swag of new camera announcements over the next two to three weeks. IMHO now is precisely the wrong time to buy a new DSLR.

I would suggest you continue to develop your understanding of the main camera systems, but that you hold onto your money until the landscape is clear. The short wait will be worth it.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Just pick one and buy good glass
    There will be a swag of new camera announcements over the next two to three weeks. IMHO now is precisely the wrong time to buy a new DSLR.

I would suggest you continue to develop your understanding of the main camera systems, but that you hold onto your money until the landscape is clear. The short wait will be worth it.
    There should be a caveat to this statement: The landscape will propbably never be "clear"

The suggestion, however, is very good if, and this for me is a big if, IF you can resist the temptation of comparing the new releases against the current market and then wonder all over again, "Which way should I go?"

There was some very sage advise about 3 posts ago - buy a camera body that suits you, feels good. But, put your bucks into the glass (wish I had done that, but then again, I just a hobbiest and don't have a big budget). Hind sight being 20-20, that's what I would have done. That's what I would (just have) recommended.

Bottom line: get a camera that feels good and capture some images - that's where the fun is - not in read camera specifications.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    don't make a decision just yet... if you can wait a few more weeks to see what Canon has up their sleeves you can try to decide 20D replacement/D200 those would be my 2 choices if i had to re-startthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Its this easy...go back to the other thread & look at the Canon high ISO stuff & listen to the crickets chirping from the nikon camp.
    Spoken like someone that truly has experience with only one brand.
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    nitinha wrote:

IMO you're worrying over the wrong thing. Camera bodies are temporary disposables. Look at the lens line of each and see who has the things that will meet your needs. I honestly believe anyone could use any body from any of the major brands. If you must factor in the body then go to a well stocked store and see how different ones feel in your hands. Just curious but why isn't Pentax included in your research?