Options

"Error 99" [10D, oftenly when using the 580EX]

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited July 26, 2006 in Cameras
Since a few months, I've occationally got this infamous could-be-anything "Error 99"-message. I've noticed a tendency - at 80% of the times, it is when shooting with the Speedlite 580EX. Do ya think this could be just a coincidence, or does anyone know "this problem".
Should I stop using the cam and get it examined, you'd say? I bought it second hand (from the US) and I don't have any guarantee left.
What to do! I don't want it to diiiiiiie! *Sobb Sobb*

Regards / Matty

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:
    Since a few months, I've occationally got this infamous could-be-anything "Error 99"-message. I've noticed a tendency - at 80% of the times, it is when shooting with the Speedlite 580EX. Do ya think this could be just a coincidence, or does anyone know "this problem".
    Should I stop using the cam and get it examined, you'd say? I bought it second hand (from the US) and I don't have any guarantee left.
    What to do! I don't want it to diiiiiiie! *Sobb Sobb*

Regards / Matty

i hope it isn't flash-to-camera compatibility..... i've been itching for a 580...
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    GordonGordon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    10D and 580EX
    DanielB wrote:
    i hope it isn't flash-to-camera compatibility..... i've been itching for a 580...

I have both 10D and 580ex Flash and never experienced an error.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    What lens are you noticing it on? I hear it happens with non-Canon glass more often.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    Well, that shouldn't be an issue! No, I'm 100% sure it hasn't anything to do with incompability. I've used this combo (and many others) for a long time without any problems. But now something is wrong, and it seem more likely to happen when shooting with the 580EX mounted. Hmm..... headscratch.gif
    DanielB wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2006
    Hmm... lemme see! I think it has only occured when shooting with my Sigma 18-125 mm f/3.5-f/5.6 DC lens. (I think!) But you know.... it's oftenly been something like this: I've been shooting for hours without the 580EX without any problems. Then I attach it and *RrRrRrRr!* Error 99! Then I switch off and on the cam and the flash, and it works just fine for a while. Sometimes it happens a few times on a row. But if I remove the flash the problem seem to go away. Weird!

Matty
    JimM wrote:
    What lens are you noticing it on? I hear it happens with non-Canon glass more often.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I have just seen this error for the first time on my 20D and it is with the (new to me) old Sigma 400mm f5.6 EF mount. The lens and camera are happy when I shoot it open f5.6, but as soon as I try to shoot at a smaller aperature, then I get the error. The guy I bought the lens from told me this would happen, and it was a great price ($160 shipped) so I just work around it. But I am wondering if it is the combo of the lens/flash with the camera that is causing it. I bet you don't see the problem with a Canon lens and the flash.... do you?headscratch.gif

Anyone else have any light to shed?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Usually this error is from a problem between the lens and the camera body. I would first check your contacts on the camera mount and on the lens mount. Also try using another lens, or if the problem is happends often, just bring it to a store and try to recreate the error with a different lens. I am not an expert but almost sure it's caused by the lens and not the flash.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    EditorguyEditorguy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 26, 2006
    Error 99 increasing in frequency!
    I just started to get this error on my 10D recently, and it is getting more frequent and driving me nuts! I bought the camera used about 8 months ago, and have shot a couple thousand images without any problem. Then, recently, I got the error a few times, and in the past few days, I am starting to get the problem every 2 or 3 shots. I seem to be getting it with my Canon EF 35mm lens much more than my Tamron 28 - 75mm lens. After powering recycling the camera, the first couple shots are very underexposed, but then it goes back to normal. I haven't had the camera checked out yet, but just looking here to see if anybody has really nailed down the cause of this issue.