Canon Cameras - Parameters

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited February 9, 2006 in Cameras
Anyone have any previous experience with changing the parameters of their canon? What are some uses you all use for parameters: specific changes for portraits etc? I'm just curious what type of setting one would use.

So far i've tried boosting the saturation and i can tell a slight difference when i boost the saturation points by 2.
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    Anyone have any previous experience with changing the parameters of their canon? What are some uses you all use for parameters: specific changes for portraits etc? I'm just curious what type of setting one would use.

So far i've tried boosting the saturation and i can tell a slight difference when i boost the saturation points by 2.

I use mostly param2. The images are neutral and soft. I prefer to do post processing and like the control that setting offers me.

If I shot a family event, party, or something I know is destined for the web or a newsletter, etc., I'll kick it on over to param1 (if I remember to do so :D ), since those aren't usually artsy shots, and post processing work is fairly cut and dry for those.

With user params beyond the first two, it's all up to you. Best to experiment.

I never use the B&W built-in params, since all that can be far better controlled in post.

Remember, it is easier to add sharpening, contrast or saturation later. You can't undo over-sharpening once it has been applied to your images in-camera.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    The safest thing you can do is shoot RAW and fiddle with parameters during the conversion. I'm more of an instant gratification kind of guy, so I shoot JPG and use custom parameter sets based on the following situation.

I tweak the actual parameters all the time, but here's what I presently have programmed in.

Setting 1: Cont +1, Sharp +2, Sat +2, Tone -1

I've read that these can produce "Velvia-like" photos. Not sure I agree, but that's what I'm trying right now. I use this setting most of the time (but the actual values change as I experiment).

Setting 2: Cont 0, Sharp -1, Sat 0, Tone +1

I use this one for indoor shots and for people-pictures. The tone adjustment helps control red skin tones.

Setting 3: Cont -2, Sharp -2, Sat -1, Tone 0

I use this one when I use ISO 1600 or 3200. The thinking here is to do as little to amplify the noise as possible.
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Remember, it is easier to add sharpening, contrast or saturation later. You can't undo over-sharpening once it has been applied to your images in-camera.
    Definately, but i'm trying something experimental and seeing if I can get the right parameters so that I can shoot it right the first time (by changing parameters and custom white balancing each time) and not worry about too much post processing. Most likely I will be needing to USM my images.

JCDoss wrote:
    The safest thing you can do is shoot RAW and fiddle with parameters during the conversion. I'm more of an instant gratification kind of guy, so I shoot JPG and use custom parameter sets based on the following situation.

I tweak the actual parameters all the time, but here's what I presently have programmed in.

Setting 1: Cont +1, Sharp +2, Sat +2, Tone -1

I've read that these can produce "Velvia-like" photos. Not sure I agree, but that's what I'm trying right now. I use this setting most of the time (but the actual values change as I experiment).

Setting 2: Cont 0, Sharp -1, Sat 0, Tone +1

I use this one for indoor shots and for people-pictures. The tone adjustment helps control red skin tones.

Setting 3: Cont -2, Sharp -2, Sat -1, Tone 0

I use this one when I use ISO 1600 or 3200. The thinking here is to do as little to amplify the noise as possible.

Interesting. I never thought the parameters could affect noise.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D