Options

what is the best printer?

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited September 24, 2004 in Digital Darkroom
I right now have a hp photosmart 1215.

But now I have my new 20D.. what is the best printer.. this printer works nice but I want as sharp as possible... it can also maybe the papper I use... What do you guy recumend? Latley to save on ink i have had walmart make prints from my digital media.:dunno
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2004
    Printers
    I right now have a hp photosmart 1215.

But now I have my new 20D.. what is the best printer.. this printer works nice but I want as sharp as possible... it can also maybe the papper I use... What do you guy recumend? Latley to save on ink i have had walmart make prints from my digital media.ne_nau.gif

You will save money by going to WalMart, Walgreens, Costco, etc. They are cheaper than ink jets. They are not as convenient.

I have an Epson R200. I love it. What I like about Epson is the large variety of papers to choose from, compared to Canon or HP. I can make up to an 8x10 on matte, glossy or luster papers. I can do borderless printing. I can print on a CD-ROM or DVD. If I wanted to do larger prints I'd get an Epson 2200.

For your current printer, are you using HP inks and HP papers? You mentioned it may be the paper you are using. If you want the best looking print, don't skimp on papers and inks. You can't make a Corvette perform by putting it on cheap tires.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2004
    I definitely agree that good ink & paper make a huge difference. Although I still get a lot of pictures printed at a lab, I do print some photos at home. I tested nearly every printer I could at local stores and found that Epson and Canon gave me the best results.

As much as I would REALLY like an Epson 2200, I have other toys to buy, but I can honestly say that Epson's entry level printers/photo printers are great!

I tested Epson/Canon/HP/Lexmark and narrowed my sights on Epson & Canon. Although I have all Canon photo gear, I ultimately chose Epson because of the wide selection of papers and their inks.

I chose to "spend a little" and tried Epson's C84. This printer introduced a new pigment ink they call Durabrite. Pigment inks give you the best archival properties but aren't as bright as regular inkjet dye inks. The top end Epson printers are pigment inks. The C84 is only a 4 colour printer, but the results vs. the price absolutely amazed me.

Ultimately, I think it will come down to something like Kodak vs. Fuji paper/film. Some people like the colours of one brand vs. the other. I happen to like Epson.

The Epson R200 previously mentioned is pretty cool as it prints directly to CD's. So definitely check out the Epson line.

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2004
    I use the HP Photosmart 7960 with Ilford inkjet papers. I am very happy with the print quality of the HP, especially for the price... I would like to get an Epson 2200 or maybe the 4000, eventually.

I have tried a lot of papers, and I think that the Ilford papers have the best quality. They look and feel more like "real" photo paper, and they even stand up to the water test! Just as in darkroom printing... the paper makes all the difference!

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2004
    I knew I shouldn't look at this thread. I now have printer envy. I used to have CS envy, and for good reason, I love it now that I have it.

I quit printing many photos when the price of ink, in particular, became a very real problem. If I really want a print, I order it. I only print to assist in decision making. My printer is an inexpensive HP a deskjet 5550. Once I discovered that Sam's and/or Costco had paper much cheaper I bought my paper there.

Right now I have Kokas heavy weight high gloss, the most expensive. I ran out of my cheaper Kodak paper. I like it, for what it is................

And I would never print if I had to use the more expensive papers..... But the ink, I can't pay Sam's price for 2 or 3 at once, cartridges, getting them singly is a bit of a shame. I really try not to print.

But Now I Want to print on one of those great printers. Don't know if the paper bothers me........ just want to print on a great/good printer. Not going to happen right now.

But what about framing, and I am talking cheap, cheap, so cheap.......well, yard sale cheap.

What is the cheapest that you all have found to get frames for your photos?
    I did have two 5 X 7s printed, they are here, but what would you suggest for the cheapest framing, cheapest!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2004
    framing
    ginger_55 wrote:
    But what about framing, and I am talking cheap, cheap, so cheap.......well, yard sale cheap.

I did have two 5 X 7s printed, they are here, but what would you suggest for the cheapest framing, cheapest!

ginger

For cheap framing, first stick to standard sized photos. For example, don't have 8x12 prints made, have 8x10 prints made. Second, keep an eye out at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. They ofent have frames on sale. I remember buying 8x10 black metal frames with glass for $2 a piece a few months back. That sale did not last long.

Another cheap option is to buy a can of 3M Photo Mount spray adhesive and some 3/16" foam board. Mount your own photos, then stick them to the walls with putty. They aren't framed, but they are mounted, and it can look cool that way. There's a trick to mounting on foam board: let the adhesive get a little tacky, carefully place it on the board, then roll over the top with a paint roller.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger
    Ginger, Around these parts I have found TJMaxx to be a great source for cheap frames. They are usually around $6. They usually have a good selection of 5x7 and 8x10 frames made out of different materials (wood, metal, glass).
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com