shooting and viewing simultaneously

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited February 14, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I'm taking some valentine's day dance pictures tomorrow evening and I would like to view the pics as I'm taking them-
is it ok to upload the pics via usb to a laptop, say, after each couple has been photographed-
this might be common practice, for all I know, but I don't know much-
I will be using a canon 20d-

thanks
george

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    Andy-

that is uptown!

but since I'm a downtown kind of guy (seriously, I'm doing this tomorrow night), is it conceivable and safe to do it with the usb?-

if I do this enough, the wireless is definitely the way to go-(edit) when I win the lottery or the price goes way down-

thanks
    george
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    If your laptop has a reader use it it will be faster and save camera battery drain....or plug a usb reader into the laptop and go that way....want to save battery drain on the camera.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Other than the things already suggested: doesn't the 20D have some sort of tethered shooting option? This way you can bypass the card altogether, and shoot straight into the laptop. I'm no Canon user, so I can't help you more (just know that my Olympus can do it through Studio, the upgrade proprietary app, and that Capture One Pro should be able to offer this for some cams).
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Other than the things already suggested: doesn't the 20D have some sort of tethered shooting option?

It should. My Canon Rebel XT does USB tethered, I can't imagine the 20D not supporting it. If you installed Digital Photo Professional from the Canon CDs, you can run EOS Capture from there. I'm a handheld shooter and so I only used EOS Capture once, but it wasn't hard to use. Kinda cool, actually. You don't fill up the card because the images go straight through the cable to my laptop's hard drive. Confused me when I used the camera to review and they weren't there.
    edited February 9, 2006
    I believe the software does bring up a screen just like you were using the camera alone--

I'll give it a try--

thanks all--
    george
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    DSLR Reote Pro
    I'm using Breeze Systems remote pro. Works very well.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    You can tether the 20d to your laptop with the usb connection using either DPP or EOSViewer.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
    edited February 14, 2006
    thanks all-

I think right now I like the card reader--

I can switch cards and upload to the laptop and keep on taking pictures without being limited by the speed (or lack thereof) of the laptop-