Nadya and R1 15 min test (4 img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited February 10, 2006 in People
Priviet dear friends!
I'm thinking about Sony R1...
A had an 15-20 min opportunity to make some test shots with R1.
During this test the point of my interest was low light & R1....
So (I dont know R1 at all and worked intuitively) I tried to use ISO 800/1600/3200.
I shoot jpg.
1 1/40 sec F4.8 ISO 800 window light + daylight lamps
3627.jpg
2 1/50 sec F4.8 ISO 800 window light + daylight lamps
3626.jpg
1&2 photos were made near a window with scattered light of a dull winter evening and 'greeny' lamps light from right... So, forgive me for these colors...

I think that high ISO shots could be good in b&w... So
3 1/50 sec F6.3 ISO 1600 daylight lamps
3624.jpg
4 1/125 sec F5.6 ISO 3200 daylight lamps
3625.jpg
I had not that much time... but...
1) There were a lot (30%) out of focus photos (yes, I know...it depends upon... and so on...) though I was told by the camera that focus was OK.
I couldnt find where the focus has gone (couldnt find in focus places - maybe the exposure was too low and my hands shaked?)
2) The results seemed to me not that sharp (after my F707)
3) I couldnt use the settings I used to use with F707 (1/30 & F2.8 at full zoom with 'strong hands') cause of DOP here - so ... in some sense I finished with a question:
Is there's something that I cant do with 707 and can do with R1?

What do you think of all this?
Spasibo
Yuri

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    If I were Yuri Pautov, no way I'd sell my Sony 707

OK, now that we've established that, let's get technical.

Yuri, these are beautiful as always. I think the answer to your question whether there are things you can do with the R1 which you can't do with the 707 is also the answer to your focus problem. This camera has a much larger sensor, a much larger lens, and so is able to achieve much shallower depth of field. This is a two edged sword, obviously. For the kind of closeup portraits when represent some of your best work, it might not actually be the best thing. The same aperture will have much deeper DOF on the 707 than R1 and you won't run into the eyes are in focus but the nose and neck are soft problem. On the other hand, you can compensate with a higher ISO and smaller aperture.

So, I'd say it would take some getting used to.

Why not consider an alternative: an inexpensive dSLR body and a 50mm fast lens. That would give you a great and very different alternative to your 707. Keep the 707. You have it down pat and we are all pea green with envy about what you can do with it. See what happens with the dSLR. You might be able to add a new style to your toolbox.

Remember Damonff? Maybe that was before your time? Anyway, he had a Sony f828 in China and I think a 707 before that. He took stunning pictures with them, as you can see. About the time he returned from China, I sold him some stuff: Canon 10D, 200mm f/2.8L, and Sigma 17mm f/2.8 (?). He kept his 828. With the new camera he was able to get some shots that were really different from what he could do with the Sony. His range a a photographer opened up and I became even more jealous of what he could do.

Just a thought.
    If not now, when?
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Bolshoye Spasibo - thank you very much for such a delaied answer. Your 'thoughts' will help me on my way - again thank you so much!
    Yuri
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I'm one of the many admirerers of your fantastic work, especially the amazing eyes you're able to get.

These are nice, but maybe you didn't apply the same amount of PP on these?

Also, at ISO 800 and 1600 they will be softer than ISO 64 on your 707.

Some have said that to the jpeg engine in the R1 is not too good. But RAW is too slow.

I would also recommend an entry level DSLR and a 50 or 85 mm fast prime.

Minolta (soon to be Sony) 5D. Built in AS/IS to help with those hand held shots at 1/25 and 1/40. Also nice low noise at high ISO.

But any DLSR with one of the above mentioned lenses would be better than the R1 for what you do and do so well.:):

Gene