The Pinhole Camera

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 10, 2006 in People
Professor Bill Freeman demonstrates the pinhole camera for Digital and Computational Photography at MIT.

55741448-L.jpg

55741557-L.jpg

55741653-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    Please tell him he is in good company with these other noted "Camera Obscura" adventurers:

Chinese philosopher Mo-Ti (5th century BC)
    Aristotle (384-322 BC)
    Islamic scholar and scientist Alhazen (c.965 - 1039)
    Leonardo Da Vinci (1490)
    Dutch scientist Reinerus Gemma-Frisius (1544)
    Johannes Kepler (early 17th century)

ziggy53

P.S. I used to build pinhole cameras, and one that was the most fun used an old Pentax H1a with a sticky (slow) shutter. Bulb time exposures were no problem, and I put the pinhole on the end of an extension tube set, so I could change the effective "focal length", while keeping the same aperture.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    camera obscura and pinhole
    i have stood inside a camera obscura at the australian national museum in canberra-as ziggy points out many classical painters used them to get detail and correct perspective in their paintings-so when an art snob tells you that photography is not art then remind them of this fact and tell them to stick their chauvinism to where the sun does not shine...

a simple way of making one is to use an old lens cap with the correct diameter hole and an old cardboard tube attached to the front of your film camera,for almost infinite depth of field-plenty of resources on the web..
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Yeah, these guys know their history of photography. You can look at the class notes if you like: http://groups.csail.mit.edu/graphics/classes/CompPhoto06/

After Bill failed to throw a large image from his pinhole, Fredo demonstrated a more polished pinhole technique with his 20D:

55755731-L.jpg

With window and artificial light, it was 1/30th at 1600ISO to get an image from a pinhole. And, yes, he used extension tubes to change the focal length.

But that was all just build up to the introduction of the "thin lens":

55755889-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 10, 2006
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Ol' Gus has done some very nice homemade pinhole work. If you know what I mean.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au