Options

my first exhibition

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited February 12, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
i am having my first exhibition,starting today,with ten photos.

i have gone large(lambda laser prints on kodak endura) with some where i can,A3+ for the rest and also have some smaller A4 crops,from my canon i9950,on ilford galerie smooth pearl.i havent been posting my exhibition photos,but might be able to arrange a peek at some laters stage.

its a joint exhibition with a painter and is the large upstairs area of a restaraunt,which will be used for functions etc.

so its not a recognised gallery,but the space has been used as such in the past.

i have two months there,and haven't started promoting it yet!

i will be direct mailing and postering as well as seeking a mention in the press.

the great thing is that they are not charging a fee or commission and will also provide catering for an opening, for free, whereas a normal gallery would charge about $1600 for two weeks or a hefty commission.some rogues try both!

as i have two months exhibition for nothing i can now put more into promotion which will hopefully offset the fact that its upstairs and is less likely to attract passing foot traffic.

its rather exciting however I also think that if i dont sell much then I will have lots of framed photos,that i at least like, at home or to try for exhibition elsewhere at a later date.

nonetheless its all very exciting!
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Very exciting! Congratulations!clap.gif

Sneak peak at the images would be great too!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    Yeah a preview or even a post view once they are up. Especially for us on the other side of the planet. Don't think I will happen to be stopping by.

Congrats and thanks for sharing all the extra info. Has given me a few ideas for around here.

Also keep us posted if you make any sales.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 9, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Very exciting! Congratulations!clap.gif

Sneak peak at the images would be great too!

DITTO! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    snafu..foiled....aggghh
    let this be a lesson to us all-

i arrive with my photos-the space is smaller than expected and my painter friend has taken every bit of space so it is bitter disappointment,probably until i get some beer into me, and now looking for somewhere else-learnt a lesson-do it yourself ,by yourself.

aaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrghhhhhhaaaa!
    Angelo wrote:
    DITTO! clap.gif

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 10, 2006
    and you didn't insist the painter relinquish 1/2 the space..... WHY?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Oh No!
    I was just going to congratulate you and now I feel bad for you! I can't imagine the disappointment with all the work and expense so far. How about a local cafe or coffee house? Maybe a little business would welcome your works on their wall for a month or two, and the 'free' advertising that would go along with it. I hope this works out for you!!! Keep us posted!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    found a better place
    thanks for the commiserations-i have since found somewhere else,a large,busy cafe which i gives me two walls to myself-much better outcome-frames will be hung tomorrow morning and i have started making up some innovative posters for plastering around the place-i have some street photography reflections which have some people in them-some a little distorted.

even though i dont need a release for art,i want to try and track down the people who feature-so that i can give them a print and also promote my work..so the plan is a wanted poster with one of my photos and text something like..

"do you know these people?it might even be you!

this image and others are being exhibited for sale at 'joes garage' brunswick street fitzroy.

the photographer wants to give the people featured a free print .

Get down there quickly before your doppleganger turns up and diddles you!

original abstract reflections and street photography.

photographer is seeking gallery representation." telephone number etc

i am going to get these printed on poster paper and go on a stick up rampage rather than spending money on direct mail and the like.

if the poster turns out ok and i can get them up in the right places for long enough before being covered up by others,then it should work.

Tessa HD wrote:
    I was just going to congratulate you and now I feel bad for you! I can't imagine the disappointment with all the work and expense so far. How about a local cafe or coffee house? Maybe a little business would welcome your works on their wall for a month or two, and the 'free' advertising that would go along with it. I hope this works out for you!!! Keep us posted!

• Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    poster
    this is the image that i am thinking of using in my poster to promote my cafe "exhibition".

its a window at a famous melbourne cafe,marios-i like it because the merged woman and man reminds me of a piacasso head.

56092719-L.jpg

• Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    very intriguing photo!
    thumb.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    thanks-another one 3 seconds later
    glad you like it-its one of my recent favourites

here is another one taken a few seconds later-that poor bloke on the right-first he has his head merging with that of a woman and in this one he ends up wearing a dress! photography is such fun!

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/56095764-L.jpg
    Tessa HD wrote:
    thumb.gif

• Options
    edited February 12, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    glad you like it-its one of my recent favourites

here is another one taken a few seconds later-that poor bloke on the right-first he has his head merging with that of a woman and in this one he ends up wearing a dress! photography is such fun!
    56095764-L.jpg