Reading group on Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Masking & Compositing?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited February 22, 2006 in Finishing School
While we wait for Dan Margulis' next revision of Professional Photoshop, is there any interest in doing a chapter-by-chapter review (similar to what was done for the LAB book) of Katrin Eismann's book "Photoshop Masking & Compositing"?

The Chapters in the book are as follows:

Chapter 1 - The Creative Process and Configuring Photoshop
Chapter 2 - Selection Strategies and Essentials
Chapter 3 - The Essential Select Menu
Chapter 4 - Pen Tool Power
Chapter 5 - Masks are Your Friends
Chapter 6 - Layers are Your Friends
Chapter 7 - The Power of Layer Masking
Chapter 8 - Selecting Hair and Fine Detail
Chapter 9 - Advanced Selection Techniques
Chapter 10 - Selecting Transluncency and Green Screen Techniques
Chapter 11 - Image Execution and Photography
Chapter 12 - Photorealistic Compositing
Chapter 13 - Creative Compositing

To do this, we'd need some volunteers to write up and illustrate various chapters over a number of weeks like the LAB book was done. I'm willing to do a couple chapters. Any other writer volunteers? How interested are people in seeing this happen?

EDIT: For anyone thinking about buying this book, we'll have a special dgrin discount to buy this book for 35% off and free shipping starting next week, courtesy of Katrin (the author of the book) and her publisher Peachpit Press. I'll post details when the discount goes into effect.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I dont volunteer in writing. But I want to say that the book is great! I learnd alot while reading it. Its in my top three Photoshop books. Very easy to read for us who are not having english is main language. Highly recomended!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
  • Grendel2000Grendel2000 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 10, 2006
    I'd be in for at least a chapter - more if time permits.

How long a span are you talking about doing this over?
    edited February 10, 2006
    rutt wrote:

Yes thats the one... And LAB colorspace is not mentiond in Any chapter. If I not have missed it. mwink.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Yes thats the one... And LAB colorspace is not mentiond in Any chapter. If I not have missed it. mwink.gif

That might not be a good thing.

Anyway, John, I have a suggestion for you. Get it started by writing a review for Andy's Book review gallery. At least it might stir some interest and get the book on the map here.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 10, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    That might not be a good thing.

Anyway, John, I have a suggestion for you. Get it started by writing a review for Andy's Book review gallery. At least it might stir some interest and get the book on the map here.

John? You fotgotten an A. Johan! rolleyes1.gif
    It where about 1 year ago I read it, so I dont "remeber" so much about it. And it would be cruel to let dgrinners read a poor written review from a guy that dont handle english very well. And its only the half book thats about "extracting" things, the other part is about compositing, which is great. But not Fun as the extract and masking/extracting half (I think).

I also have Katrins retouch and restoration book. The Swedish translation. Great book to!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I don't know anything about this book, I may be interested. Perhaps we should cast a few books onto the pile and see where the interest lies. We could choose from a few, might be a good exercise to figure out which one would be a good reading group book.

There's that book on RAW that I've been wanting to read...Real World Camera RAW with CS2.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't know anything about this book, I may be interested. Perhaps we should cast a few books onto the pile and see where the interest lies. We could choose from a few, might be a good exercise to figure out which one would be a good reading group book.

There's that book on RAW that I've been wanting to read...Real World Camera RAW with CS2.

This book is wonderful- REALLY Eye opening. I just finished it not long ago. IMO it's a really worthy subject of a reading group, this book opened my eyes to things that I had NO CLUE that ACR could do.
  • aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    While we wait for Dan Margulis' next revision of Professional Photoshop, is there any interest in doing a chapter-by-chapter review (similar to what was done for the LAB book) of Katrin Eismann's book "Photoshop Masking & Compositing"?
    . . .
    To do this, we'd need some volunteers to write up and illustrate various chapters over a number of weeks like the LAB book was done. I'm willing to do a couple chapters. Any other writer volunteers? How interested are people in seeing this happen?
    thumb.gif
    I'm interested but won't have time to write up a chapter until teaching is over at the end of the semester in April.

Camera Raw also looks good.
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I was also looking at this book recently, and thought to myself I'd like to go through it sometime. Although I would be open to helping out with either this book or the Masking and Compositing one as well.
    edited February 10, 2006
    How does one do a book review for that site?
    rutt wrote:
    TAnyway, John, I have a suggestion for you. Get it started by writing a review for Andy's Book review gallery. At least it might stir some interest and get the book on the map here.
    How does one go about doing a book review for that site? Do I write it and Andy posts it?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 11, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    How does one go about doing a book review for that site? Do I write it and Andy posts it?

I'm helping Andy out with these. For a simple thing like a book review, you could email me with the text.

For a tutorial, which is more complicated, there are a couple of ways of doing it. PM me and I can give you more details.

We would love to have you contribute with book reviews and/or tutorials!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    :bluduh Stoped by borders on my way to the airport... bought Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS.

Hopefully a borders in KC will exchange it.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    That is an expensive book!!!

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited February 22, 2006
    Discount on Katrin's book coming soon
    Just to let people know, we are planning on doing the reading group for Katrin's book, "Photoshop Masking & Compositing". I contacted Katrin to make sure she was OK with us doing a reading group and she was delighted that we'd be doing it. We will hopefully get started next week with the first chapter summaries posted and then I'll be asking for volunteers for some of the other chapters.

In addition, Katrin's publisher for the book (Peachpit Press) has offered a 35% discount and free shipping to anyone here who wants to buy the book. They'll be putting up a web page with the details for the discount sometime next week. When the web page is up, I'll post here so anyone who's thinking about buying the book can take advantage of the discount.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited February 22, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Just to let people know, we are planning on doing the reading group for Katrin's book, "Photoshop Masking & Compositing". I contacted Katrin to make sure she was OK with us doing a reading group and she was delighted that we'd be doing it. We will hopefully get started next week with the first chapter summaries posted and then I'll be asking for volunteers for some of the other chapters.

In addition, Katrin's publisher for the book (Peachpit Press) has offered a 35% discount and free shipping to anyone here who wants to buy the book. They'll be putting up a web page with the details for the discount sometime next week. When the web page is up, I'll post here so anyone who's thinking about buying the book can take advantage of the discount.

Awesome!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2006