Options

vBulletin

SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited February 13, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
For those of you who run vBulletin (including, obviously, Andy with this site) I'm wondering what you like/dislike about running & modifying the software.

The reason I ask is I'm going to be setting up a forum shortly, and right now I'm leaning towards phpBB. I'm thinking that vBulletin might have a better interface...

Any feedback on either?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 10, 2006
    I investigated phpBB pretty thoroughly before choosing vBulletin for dgrin and also for a much bigger forum, www.advrider.com. I ended up choosing vBulletin because it was more feature rich and was thought to scale well to big forums.

It's been a couple years since I've compared them, but generally we're pretty happy with the choice. vBulletin has a big community of developers who write plugins which can be pretty useful, and there are a lot of knowledgeable users.

Having said that, their database structure sucks and the scalability is nothing like it could be if they learned more about how to build efficient queries. When the site gets big, you have to jump through hoops to get performance.
  • Options
    SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Thanks, thats just what I was looking for. How convenient is it to admin day-to-day? Like... Is the control panel logically layed out?