So, what's the secret?

BenBrainerdBenBrainerd Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited March 6, 2006 in People
(AKA: Why do people fear the lens?)

Here's a question for all of you who shoot model sets: (As opposed to Candids, or Street Shots)

How do you get your models to actually follow through? Obviously, if you're paying them, or vice versa, you can be relatively assured that they'll show up. But if you're just asking friends, or whatnot, does anyone have any tips for reassuring them such that they actually show up for the shoot?

In the past week or so, I've had 3 or 4 people say "Sure, I'd love to give it a try", and then back out a few days later, or even the day of the shoot. Am I just picking the wrong people, or am I doing something wrong? Maybe a bit of ego stroking to keep them upbeat about it?

And on a side note, does anyone have any suggestions for terminology to use when approaching friends/ acquaintences about doing a shoot? For some reason (Maybe it's just me) when I suggest a "Photo Shoot" or "Modeling", people automatically assume that I want them to get naked...

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Hi BenBrainerd
    Laughing.gif, I know what you mean. I have had some of the same comments
    from friends at work. I guess they see or hear alot about nude photography
    so, that is what they think of first. Try saying Portraits and maybe show
    some of you photography prints to them. I took some photos I did of a
    waterfall and flower to show my friends. Then one of them ask me to do
    a photo shoot of her hourses. Hang in there and don't let them get you
    down.

Have a good weekend,
    Chuck,
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usa_photography
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006

Here's a question for all of you who shoot model sets: (As opposed to Candids, or Street Shots)

How do you get your models to actually follow through? Obviously, if you're paying them, or vice versa, you can be relatively assured that they'll show up. But if you're just asking friends, or whatnot, does anyone have any tips for reassuring them such that they actually show up for the shoot?

In the past week or so, I've had 3 or 4 people say "Sure, I'd love to give it a try", and then back out a few days later, or even the day of the shoot. Am I just picking the wrong people, or am I doing something wrong? Maybe a bit of ego stroking to keep them upbeat about it?

And on a side note, does anyone have any suggestions for terminology to use when approaching friends/ acquaintences about doing a shoot? For some reason (Maybe it's just me) when I suggest a "Photo Shoot" or "Modeling", people automatically assume that I want them to get naked...

I've only ever worked with 2 of my friends that got naked, and one of them already models, and the other works for an adult website.

It's all in the approach. I find if I compliment the person's eyes, fair complexion, and tell them that I've been looking for some more people to work with to expand my portfolio, that tends to declare my intentions a little better.

Most of my "free work" hasn't been in my studio. I take my models for a walk around the city, find interesting architecture or cityscapes or landscapes to photograph them in. I think Binghott does the same, most of his work he's posted lately has been outdoors (and beautiful), and of course, all of Yuri's random pickups on the street in Russia!

Gentle Persistence can sometimes pay off. Also, maybe ask them why they backed out, whether they felt uncomfortable, or if they legitimately didn't have the time. A shoot isn't quick and dirty. Most of mine tend to last 3-4 hours, from start to finish (makeup to teardown).

Just my $0.02. Keep it up. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Try to find a model who's worked with a lot of photographers before maybe? If you can make a friend with one, will give you tips and such.

Oh, and keep talking. Talk talk talk. The more conversation there is, the less the person focusses on what's going on.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited February 18, 2006
    Some Poking...
    Some Prodding...
    And a lot of profanity...

Ben,

Maybe they saw your signature.

Poking?

Prodding?

Profanity?

ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006

I still get the same questions after 20++ yrs of asking people to model...When asked up front what I want to take I always assure them that I do not want them to get naked and after a session or 2 or 3 the ladies a lot of times will ask for at least a semi nude....it all relies on your ability to make them feel secure around you.....

I have done nudes in a hairstyling salon with people getiing their hair cut right next to the improvised studio area ( i would screen the area off with black plastic or something of the sort...these were not for me but the owners of the salon would do the bookings with the local "dancer" talent.

I got to the poing where when I would ask a female to pose for me, I immediately told her it was with clothes on and if she tried to pose nude I would would end the session....., offering her an 8 X 10 for payment, and having them sign a model release just in case something came out of the session that was REALLY REALLY GOOD.

The ones who have not been showing up are probably talking to friends and family and getting told that all you want to do is get them naked and then they get spooked.

Tell them also that if they want to to bring a friend with them, someone they feel secure around ..... I try to avoid boyfriends and parents if possible as they 2 types of people usually make the model very self concious and she will not be as comfortable and natural as just with a casual friend along.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:

Tell them also that if they want to to bring a friend with them, someone they feel secure around ..... I try to avoid boyfriends and parents if possible as they 2 types of people usually make the model very self concious and she will not be as comfortable and natural as just with a casual friend along.

Best advice.

Boyfriends & husbands = bad idea.

Other friends = great idea. They usually get into it as much as the model does, and the energy just kinda keeps reciprocating.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Reputation, reputation, reputation.

Have examples of your work, the whole range of it, to give yourself credibility.
    Make sure the model(s) are at ease around you.
    Never, ever bring up nude, unless they do, and even then, go with: I provide the oportunity for you to express yourself, I will document it.

Another piece of advice, never sell your meat where you make your bread.

As far as people coming along, I have way more success by saying that my spouse will be there the entire time, than I have with them bringing someone, as that will again lead to self conciousness.

On nudes.
    If that is your flavor (I know it is mine sometimes) try to stay very business like, completely non sexual.

FWIW, YMMV,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • BenBrainerdBenBrainerd Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2006
    Thanks for all the help, folks. Sorry it took so long. Was running amok in the frigid north taking care of family things.

On the plus side, as soon as I left, I got message from friends who said they'd love to get their pics taken. :) So things are looking up. I'll put something up here when I get them done.

As for the whole Nude thing, I'm still a bit confused by my friends' reactions. (Yeah, all the people who bailed on me were good friends, who've seen my portfolio, and whatnot) I have never actually *asked* anyone to pose nude. Kinda goes against my artistic integrity. Would never ask anyone to pose nude for free. That's not to say I've never done nudes. But they've all been volunteers (Both for the shoot, and for the nudes).

I guess that's just the downside of being a 20-something guy with a digital camera. Hard to fight people's assumptions. Just got to get some good stuff in the portfolio, so they know what they're dealing with. Maybe I'll work some random pickups, although I don't think I'll be able to match Yuri's stuff. :) He's got the magic touch, apparently.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    I take my models for a walk around the city, find interesting architecture or cityscapes or landscapes to photograph them in. I think Binghott does the same, most of his work he's posted lately has been outdoors (and beautiful), and of course, all of Yuri's random pickups on the street in Russia!

that's what i do. i love to shoot with natural light.

my advice to you ben, try to not set a specific date. tell your friends that you'll call them during the week or something and then call them when you want to shoot. that's usually worked for me. most of my shoots are very run and gun. for example, it was really foggy in new york one day back in january i think. i called a bunch of my "model" friends to see if anyone was available. i managed to have two shoots that day and they both turned out awesome. give that a shot.

good luck.
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2006