Options

strobes or light?

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited February 23, 2006 in Technique
When are you guys using strobe and lights in photography? Like, why not always use light in product shots?

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2006
    By light, I am assuming you are referencing hot lights also known incandescent lights.

Hot lights don't have the brightness potential that flash units have. When shooting people or action shots, flash has a better chance of giving power and action stopping power than hot lights. Flash also tends to be easier on the eyes as you don't have constant glare and heat that hotlamps can give.

Hot lights are used with success for still life scenes that are not heat sensitive (i.e. not ice cream or lettuce shoots mwink.gif).

Some flash units have a modeling light which is an incandecent light that lets you see the direction and quality of light you will be getting. You can use them to shoot with, or you can use the flash, or the flash only and turn the modeling light off.
    Viking wrote:
    When are you guys using strobe and lights in photography? Like, why not always use light in product shots?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    I am making the same assumption about the light that was mentioned in the previous post.
    Hot lights are great for product shots because what you see is what you get. However, as I have used hotlights I have always worked from a tripod. The shutter speeds you can use are much slower than strobe lights. Working under hotlights is hot for the photographer and the subject. If your shot involves people, or anything where speed or heat becomes an issue then strobes are your best bet. They tend to be a bit more expensive, but I prefer working with strobes.
    I also find it easier to manipulate the light with strobes because I can have more control over the various power/output settings than with most hotlights.
    If you are looking to buy, I would recommend White Lightning brand strobes. They are very affordable, easy to use, and great quality: www.white-lightning.com
    I have been using their products for a number of years and have been very happy with the results. There are also many other great brands.
  • Options
    artieartie Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    Hot lights are great for product shots because what you see is what you get. However, as I have used hotlights I have always worked from a tripod. The shutter speeds you can use are much slower than strobe lights. Working under hotlights is hot for the photographer and the subject. If your shot involves people, or anything where speed or heat becomes an issue then strobes are your best bet.

Do the fluorescent lamps I see out there like the Spiderlite and Ego have the same problem with heat? Any idea how they stack up regarding light output, color, etc?

Rick