Options

Canceling my Buy.com order

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 26, 2004 in Accessories
and ordering the 1 gb card from Amazon. Hope Amazon's 95.00 price for the Ultra 1 gig holds.

This will make Buy.com happier, and it has not been a good experience for me, so it is not good public relations.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2004
    I'm holding out :)
    ginger_55 wrote:
    This will make Buy.com happier, and it has not been a good experience for me, so it is not good public relations.

I'm stubborn. :) I'll keep my 2G/Ultra-II order open until it either ships or I find it cheaper elsewhere. Unlike you, I don't actually NEED my card soon, so I can afford to wait on it. Course, I might get fed up and cancel, too. :(
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2004
    It shipped!
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm stubborn. :) I'll keep my 2G/Ultra-II order open until it either ships or I find it cheaper elsewhere. Unlike you, I don't actually NEED my card soon, so I can afford to wait on it. Course, I might get fed up and cancel, too. :(

My card shipped today from buy.com!!!! Yippeee!!!
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote:
    My card shipped today from buy.com!!!! Yippeee!!!
    Fantastic, and darn. I was hoping that you would ruin their Christmas, they would be so worried about that order.

Now my order is in at an Amazon sub dealer. My camera is back. Don't tell anyone. I haven't used it yet. Checked out some things. I even learned something about what the blinking lights in the view finder mean in a Rebel, and what the round circle means.

I always check the camera by photographing my calendar wall here. It was photographing too dark, I thought "oh darn", got out my manual, found out that of course it was too dark, that blinking light was telling me that it was going to be.

But I will wait for the 1 gb, I also ordered tennis shoes. Now wish I could order more memory. Just one more I gb. For Raw, if my PC can tolerate that, certainly if I were to ever do Shem Creek at night again. Andy are you sure you don't want to come here to do Shem Creek with me. I can let you know when it is the season for the most glorious sky color. Just gets better and better through the winter. We could line up with all the other photographers, then go get something to eat.

Good on you that you held out and it shipped. I wonder if mine would have. They are not a bad company.

ginger
  • Options
    Not Ultra, 2 gb $127.00
    AOL pulled it up, don't remember the store, but it had a good rating.

So, how important is that rating? How important is Ultra? And do I really want it?

I think I can get a 1gb for at least half that?

ginger
  • Options
    Ultra
    ginger_55 wrote:
    How important is Ultra?

Ultra on a Rebel is not very important. A Rebel can't write to a card very fast anyway. I got an Ultra because I have every intention of getting a 20D in the next few months. That camera can take advantage of a fast card.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    mercphoto wrote:
    Ultra on a Rebel is not very important. A Rebel can't write to a card very fast anyway. I got an Ultra because I have every intention of getting a 20D in the next few months. That camera can take advantage of a fast card.
    Thanks, that is valuable information. My card came today, I ordered it yesterday, regular postage. J & R

ginger
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2004
    I am going down to Fry's shortly, and they have a 1 GB card advertized for $59.95 (After rebate) :D

Sam
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    Sam wrote:
    I am going down to Fry's shortly, and they have a 1 GB card advertized for $59.95 (After rebate) :D

Sam

What are the specs on the card? I just bought 2 Lexar 1gb 40x cards for $69 each after rebate at adorama.com

Dave
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    Looks like a PQI 1GB Compact Flash Card (rebate expires on 2004-09-28) That's 3 days from NOW.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    What are the specs on the card? I just bought 2 Lexar 1gb 40x cards for $69 each after rebate at adorama.com

Dave
    Dave,

That's a much faster card than the one at Fry's, The Rebel can't use the speed of a faster card, so no problem for the short term.

ps: That's a good price. The prices just seem to keep dropping.

Maybe we should all wait untill we can buy a 8 GB card for $14.95
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    Sam wrote:
    Dave,

That's a much faster card than the one at Fry's, The Rebel can't use the speed of a faster card, so no problem for the short term.

ps: That's a good price. The prices just seem to keep dropping.

Maybe we should all wait untill we can buy a 8 GB card for $14.95
    Don't know the price point but Samsung has a 16G CF card coming in the spring.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    I just got that 1 gb card, so I went to an outdoor concert last night. Andy "suggested" that I shoot in RAW.

The card is an ULTRA, but the camera is a Rebel. I swear, I just sat there many minutes, missing shots, watching the darn card write. RAW produces some huge files, I shoot fast so the write time is annoying to me anyway. But RAW, the pictures were good, I will say that, but the write time is "annoying".

And I ran out of memory. So I am looking for the best deal upfront 1gb card possible. Or the place that I bought my Ultra and they shipped it overnight, I didn't pay for that but there it came. Their 1gb Sandisk. I am used to Sandisk, it is about 79.00. I am not looking for rebate offers, I don't think. They take so long to get the money, it is the upfront cost that kills me. I think of rebates as some kind of game that the manufacturer and store plays, kind of like blackjack. I bet over half the people don't send them in, it is a hassle, then the rebate people can send the money in like 3 months.

Even people with credit cards don't win a lot, not if they are relying on the credit, as by the time the rebate comes, they have paid interest, etc. It is a world for the rich there, and it annoys me. I did send in rebates when I bought my computer a couple years ago. But we were looking at a couple hundred dollars.................... several months later.

ginger

ginger
  • Options
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I just got that 1 gb card, so I went to an outdoor concert last night. Andy "suggested" that I shoot in RAW.

The card is an ULTRA, but the camera is a Rebel. I swear, I just sat there many minutes, missing shots, watching the darn card write. RAW produces some huge files, I shoot fast so the write time is annoying to me anyway. But RAW, the pictures were good, I will say that, but the write time is "annoying".

And I ran out of memory. So I am looking for the best deal upfront 1gb card possible. Or the place that I bought my Ultra and they shipped it overnight, I didn't pay for that but there it came. Their 1gb Sandisk. I am used to Sandisk, it is about 79.00. I am not looking for rebate offers, I don't think. They take so long to get the money, it is the upfront cost that kills me. I think of rebates as some kind of game that the manufacturer and store plays, kind of like blackjack. I bet over half the people don't send them in, it is a hassle, then the rebate people can send the money in like 3 months.

Even people with credit cards don't win a lot, not if they are relying on the credit, as by the time the rebate comes, they have paid interest, etc. It is a world for the rich there, and it annoys me. I did send in rebates when I bought my computer a couple years ago. But we were looking at a couple hundred dollars.................... several months later.

ginger

ginger
    You are right about the rebates. It is a scam is some ways. They want to make you jump throught hoops. So far I have been chalanged / denied the rebate for two items. I kept copies of everything and did have to inform one I would take the time to go to small claims court. I have recieved all rebates to date. But they seem to try and make excuses and and hope you will go away. This also seems to be the norm for many co-workers who seem to live for the Fry's specials.

Even though I will send in for them, I personally would like to see the practice banned. If they really want to honestly provide an incentive to purchase their product, do it upfront.
  • Options
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger

ginger
    I forgot. I don't know how many or how fast, but you can shoot several photos in a row. Just shoot and don't wait for the red light to go out. If it won't activate the shutter, then you will have to wait.
  • Options
    Sam wrote:
    I forgot. I don't know how many or how fast, but you can shoot several photos in a row. Just shoot and don't wait for the red light to go out. If it won't activate the shutter, then you will have to wait.
    Thanks, Sam, I did that. In fact, by shooting, I discovered that the red light was taking longer and longer. Eventually, you are right, you can't shoot anymore. But it does let you shoot so many before it seems to need to write them.

Out of desperation, and the possibility of a good shot, I also discovered that you can shoot while the red light is still on. It didn't seem to harm anything. It did stop me at a few inconvenient times, and it went on and on and on....seemed like. I preferred to let it write without further interference, most of the time.

ginger