Challenge 58 - Two Colors Idea

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited February 18, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Let me start by saing that I have been wanting to capture this image for months, just waiting to get a round-to-it. This challenge gave me that small kick in the seat to go do it. Thanks.:clap

Aside from cropping and a little USM and curves, this image is untouched. In keeping with the implied concept of the challenge, there has been no color manipulation.

Anyway, this is my best first shot at getting the image. I can see a couple of thing to improve:
  • It was taken with the wrong lens (my 17mm) so there are some perspective issues to correct. I will be doing this either tonight or tomorrow night.
  • Second, this passage way has two openings. If I look to the other end, there is a parking lot light that could be used to add just a little point of interest in the middle of the black area at the end of the passage.
This is my very first entry into any photo contest of any sort. So, please take a look and provide some C&C. I'm a big boy:wink. Be ruthless. Be honest. I think I can take it.:):

Thanks
55907965-L.jpg

Comments

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    First off I really like this shot. Not sure how a light at the end would look, be interesting to see. It (picture), to me, is two colors. Yes there are a couple other colors but I had to look for them, the arches just grabbed my interest right off and I had to force myself to look at anything else.

Nicethumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    First off I really like this shot. Not sure how a light at the end would look, be interesting to see. It (picture), to me, is two colors. Yes there are a couple other colors but I had to look for them, the arches just grabbed my interest right off and I had to force myself to look at anything else.

Nicethumb.gif

Thanks for the comment. The light, I think, is needed to relieve some fo the vacumn resulting from the huge black area at the end.

Again, thanks - "artistically", I'm just begining and I can use all the help I can get.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 11, 2006
    Thanks for the comment. The light, I think, is needed to relieve some fo the vacumn resulting from the huge black area at the end.

Again, thanks - "artistically", I'm just begining and I can use all the help I can get.

You're overthinking this shot. It's near perfect. I would just rotate it CCW to bring the seam at the top of the first arch to vertical and then leave it alone. thumb.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    I like it
    Second, this passage way has two openings. If I look to the other end, there is a parking lot light that could be used to add just a little point of interest in the middle of the black area at the end of the passage.

Just for the sake of argument, I'd like to see this view also.

I'd like to see more contrast in the photo or more "pop" but it's neat also the way it is.

I think if this is assessible to you it's worth more attempts.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    I really like this shot. It is one of the ones that stood out to me the most when I viewed all the current entries. It would be worth visiting again and trying some different angles, but I love it just as is! I'd like to see it in black and white....