First post - Water drop

Travis FTravis F Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited February 13, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hello everyone,

I have been visiting and viewing here for a little while. Well, I finally decided to join in.

Started playing around last night after seeing similar shots on another forum. It was a little more difficult to time then I thought.

Anyways, CC are welcome.

FirstCrown.jpg

Oh yeah, I used: 20D, sigma 150 macro, and sigma EF500 Super DG.

Blue water drops dropped in to red water.

Thanks for looking
Travis

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Welcome to d/grin travis...great 1st post thumb.gif You really nailed it !
  • Travis FTravis F Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Welcome to d/grin travis...great 1st post thumb.gif You really nailed it !

Thanks for the welcome and the comment.

I must say it was fun:D .
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2006
    Welcome this is excellent 1st post mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Great shot- well done- Never managed to catch a "crown" on a water drop shot.
    Brian v.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Ohh Cool Shot!
    Travis F wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I have been visiting and viewing here for a little while. Well, I finally decided to join in.

Started playing around last night after seeing similar shots on another forum. It was a little more difficult to time then I thought.

Anyways, CC are welcome.

Oh yeah, I used: 20D, sigma 150 macro, and sigma EF500 Super DG.

Blue water drops dropped in to red water.

Thanks for looking
    Travis

Hi there Travis........ what a lovely Crown, and I gotta say what a pretty colour it is too clap.gif very nicely executed indeed .....well done thumb.gif
    To get a crown what's the secret?
    Depth of fluid?
    Side of droplet?
    Thickness of Fluid?
    Hight?
    Care to share how you went about taking this shot ?? mwink.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • CrispinCrispin Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    What a nice shotclap.gif
    I am really jealous... Question: What was your setup? What did you use for dripping?
    Cheers,
    Crispin
    http://crispin.smugmug.com
    SQL Mechanic
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 12, 2006
    Hey Travis, welcome to dgrin and to the water drop club. lol3.gif

I'd have to take credit for being the local drop geek as it's what I do in my research (sometimes) as well. So I have some nice tools to take advantage of in my lab including syringes, fine pumps, and lots of good light.

You're shot is great, timing is good, but I'll make one comment that I'm sure you've already noticed. DOF is a b-tch when you're that close. Some of the best crowns I've captured take a slightly different angle to maximize how much of the crown is in focus. Like so:

15766383-S.jpg

Second comment: satellite drops. I kinda like the motion blur you have on yours but you'd be surprised at how relatively easy it is to stop them. Based on calculations, they are whipping along, but I'm always amazed at how fast our consumer grade flashes can strobe. If you reduce the power on the 580EX (or Sigma 500), you essentially speed up the time it's on, to something as fast as roughly 1/8000 of a second. That is more than enough to stop a satellite droplet.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• nburwellnburwell Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Excellent pretty much sums up what I think of this photo. thumb.gif
    -Nick-
    20D l BG-E2 l 17-40L l 24-105L l 50mm 1.8 mKII l 430ex
  • Travis FTravis F Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2006
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. They are very much appreciated.

And thanks DoctorIt for the suggestions. I will try reducig the flash power to see if that helps. Before reading that I tried h-sync at 1/400 and +2/3 FEC, but that made motion blur worse. I couldn't figure out why. Looks like it was the strobe time.

I bought some acrylic paints this weekend to try doing something similar, but hopefully the paints will have better color interactions.

As far as set-up goes: I had the 20D on tripod set at 1/200 @f/11 with flash. I had a clear glass saucer plate with maybe 3mm of red water (food coloring) on top of pink paper. I used one of our kids old medicine droppers to drop in the blue water from a height of about 18 inches.

I used white paper behind to kind of bounce the flash.

Next time I will take a picture of the set-up.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 13, 2006
    Travis F wrote:
    And thanks DoctorIt for the suggestions. I will try reducig the flash power to see if that helps. Before reading that I tried h-sync at 1/400 and +2/3 FEC, but that made motion blur worse. I couldn't figure out why. Looks like it was the strobe time.
    No problem, and you got it - it's not so much about the h-sync shutterspeed, and more so about the shortest possible strobe time necessary to expose correctly but freeze action. Without digging up the exif on that example I posted, I'm quite sure the shutterspeed was only 1/250ish, but the flash was at 1/32 power, +/-0 FEC. To be honest, I was suprised after I took it and it froze the action so well.

Looking forward to more!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]