Options

blown highlights=no more!

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited March 4, 2006 in Technique
this was on FM thought you guys might find it interesting:

Blow Highlights and Ctrl Alt ~
This might not be the place to share such info, but since it would benefit some Landscape photographers so much I thought I might just put it here.

Want to fix those blow highlights? Here is an unusual, and very little known trick. In PS have one layer your image exposed for the whole scene (that has the blow out highlights) then have underneath it the same exact scene exposed for the highlights (highlights not blown). Of course you could auto bracket the scene, like I do. But sometimes you might just take the exposure way down in ACR using the "Exposure Compensation" slider.

Then with the top layer activated, hit CTRL Alt ~ (PC) or Opt Cmd ~

(Mac). This activates a "Luminosity Mask"

CTRL Alt ~ (PC) or Opt Cmd ~ make PS select just the blown out pixels (highlights) mostly! biggrin.gif What I do is hit Ctrl Alt ~ and then I usually go under "Select" and "Feather" this selection 250 pixels or less. Then I hit DELETE. You have now deleted those blown out pixels and exchanged them for the pixels in the layer below that still have detail! Then flatten the file! "Feathering" makes the effect blend in real nice. A tip: try different amounts on the feathering.

Of course I still graduate auto bracketed shots, but I have found this technique to work even better for many Nature and Landscape images.
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2006
    Very interesting ! Thanks for the tip.

Thierry
  • Options
    SavoneSavone Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    WOW, That is an awesome tip. Thank god I went back to read some old posts!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2006
    That is interesting. Control-Alt-~ is the first step in Andy's toning process, as well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    any time guys. Sid, is it really? huh, i'll have to do a search...
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Thanks for the tutorial, Daniel. I sorta knew some of this, but too lazy to get the book out...I need to give this a try, though, because I blow my highlights alot!!!! :D